Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for Dwarfy art!  (Read 5662 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for Dwarfy art!
« on: August 02, 2013, 06:52:59 pm »

Hey all! I have been organizing the Guns of Icarus group and I'm setting up a Bay12 Community Games group, both on Steam.

I've been having problems finding good cover art, and I feel bad using random images from DeviantArt. Would anyone be able to draw some dwarves for that? :D The image only needs to be 184x184, and any style is welcome.

My suggestions? For the Guns of Icarus, a grungy dwarf pilot behind a steering wheel of an airship. For the games group, a Dwarf Fortress-style dwarf with a computer. Something like that.

Thanks in advance, if yer willing to pitch in!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Dwarfy art!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 08:08:12 pm »

I think I will try doodling the guns of icarus cover art. Can't guarantee that it will be production quality though.  Remember, I do my stuff with minimal palletes in mspaint. ;)

184x184 is right up my alley though.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 09:09:36 pm »

I think I will try doodling the guns of icarus cover art. Can't guarantee that it will be production quality though.  Remember, I do my stuff with minimal palletes in mspaint. ;)

184x184 is right up my alley though.

I was so hoping you'd stop by :D
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 09:42:51 pm »

I have something that I think's gonna be a winner. It's just coming out so nicely.

I'll post what I have so far in just a sec.

Here we go!  It needs the game name text in the top left corner, and more details on the wing fabric.

Flying maching is PURPOSEFULLY silly. (Image real estate is limited. You need to see what it is, without it dominating the frame.)  I just love the "air pirate dwarf"! He came out so awesome!

"Raaaaaahhgh!"

**Edit

Why does this always happen to me when I post a WiP?  For the life of me, I can't get ANY text to look right.   I think I will doodle a background giant airship over the skyfield instead, and inject it into the image using layers from photoshop, and then carefully touch it here and there with photoshop's smudge and blur tools to help iron out the dithering into actual anti-aliasing.

Some experiments with the gaussian blur in paint.net have shown promising results over the shirt and some parts of the fleshtone areas. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 11:09:10 pm by wierd »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 12:38:27 am »

I have something that I think's gonna be a winner. It's just coming out so nicely.

I'll post what I have so far in just a sec.

Here we go!  It needs the game name text in the top left corner, and more details on the wing fabric.

Flying maching is PURPOSEFULLY silly. (Image real estate is limited. You need to see what it is, without it dominating the frame.)  I just love the "air pirate dwarf"! He came out so awesome!

"Raaaaaahhgh!"

**Edit

Why does this always happen to me when I post a WiP?  For the life of me, I can't get ANY text to look right.   I think I will doodle a background giant airship over the skyfield instead, and inject it into the image using layers from photoshop, and then carefully touch it here and there with photoshop's smudge and blur tools to help iron out the dithering into actual anti-aliasing.

Some experiments with the gaussian blur in paint.net have shown promising results over the shirt and some parts of the fleshtone areas.

It's fantastic :D

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 03:24:44 am »

OK!

Looks like Photoshop is just what the doctor ordered. I think it looks loads better after a little touching with the blur brush and some decal pasting. I also decided that his Do-Rag needed a little... Something. :D  Hard to make out, but it's the dwarf glyph from Curses 800x600 square.

Scarily, it looks almost professional I think, though I am unsure about the legality of using their logo asset like that.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 03:51:17 am by wierd »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 12:44:24 am »

Thanks so much, it's up on the group now!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Bay12GunsofIcarus

EDIT: The legality should be okay, as we're using this for a non-profit group for their own game

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 04:18:24 pm »

Would anyone take up making a cover picture for the game night group?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 03:57:18 am »

I cant take all the fun, I want to see somebody else's work!

You might try PMing some of the people from the Forgotten Beast art contest thread, like DW. They might be interested if you ask real nice.