Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Garoleth - A Byond game inspired by Dwarf Fortress  (Read 12087 times)

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Garoleth - A Byond game inspired by Dwarf Fortress
« on: August 02, 2013, 09:46:42 pm »

Since this is a BYOND game, I'm going to go ahead and snatch the format the SS13 thread is using. Here goes...

Garoleth...
...is a strategy RPG running on the BYOND game making engine, inspired by Dwarf Fortress and expanded to allow a multiplayer experience. Including brutal PVP and a relatively deep crafting system.
Play...
...as one of the many fantasy races in Garoleth, including Lizardmen, Goblins, Orcs, Humans, Kobolds, and especially DORFS! Crafting, warfare, worldbuilding, magic and more await you. Build up your civilization and conquer the realm, if that is your choice.

Garoleth...
...is running a completely rewritten codebase of Dungeon Master. Dungeon Master was made open source under the GPL, and since then the code has been rewritten, maintained and modified so that it is no longer a derivative work, though I still give credit to the original inspiration. Discussion on this matter is between myself and Ginseng, so postulating upon the legal ramifications is futile and irritating.

Roleplay is encouraged in Garoleth, but players will not be forced into it.  For example, roleplaying an epic war or a civilization built upon trading will net not only increased interest in the game, but possible in-game aesthetic bonuses.

Resources for new players, and other items of interest:

This is a wikia I've started up today, almost completely unfinished, but you can find a "getting started" guide on the front page which might help ease your transition until I've got more tutorial information available.
Garoleth Wikia Information

Server IP is (hosted by Rojiru):
byond://67.175.83.178:3335

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 11:43:15 am by rojiru »

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Garoleth - A Byond game inspired by Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 10:56:01 pm »

As a regular player on the game, I can attest to it. That, and BYOND in it's own right is worth checking out. There's plenty of great games on there, and this is one nice one to start with.

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 01:57:21 am »

Blastoise has been uber supportive in the development of Garoleth, many thanks for the bump. I highly suggest any Dwarf Fort fans check this game out - it could use a bigger playerbase.

demonote

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 02:24:04 am »

This game is pretty damn fun and considering the fact that it is being updated on a regular basis makes it even more exciting considering the fact that most byond games are not updated anymore at all. But its not just the updates that make it fun. Its the community. Maybe you don't like someone? Cool. Go kill em. Or gather friends and stay low underground somewhere until its time for you to strike. Or if being underground isn't good enough for you why not try living in Hell? All in all its a great game worth a try. The controls may be a little hard to get used to but most definatly worth it in the end. I can not wait for future updates to see what is to come.

So far I have news that these are coming up:
Heaven Realm Expansion
Marine Expansion

-Thats my opinion

shortyrbs1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 02:24:29 am »

I can vouch for this game, I'm addicted XD Its super fun and the owner is really cool. As for byond theres a lot of other cool games out there that are just as addicting.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 02:44:14 am »

Hmmm me tinks someone is trying to spam good "reviews" 2 accounts made today with first post saying how great this is is very suspicious.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 03:46:51 am »

Probably worth a try, tough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 03:55:55 am »

I don't know anything about this game, but I am definitely going to check it out. I was a big fan of Dungeon Master, as well as most of the rest of Ginseng's games.
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 06:52:55 am »

Okay, I can't figure out how to do anything. Sometimes if I press a, it selects all the units. Sometimes, instead, it randomly jumps to the chat line and types the letter a there. Sometimes clicking on the screen sends the focus to the screen. Sometimes the focus stays in the chat line and I can't get out of it. Pressing spacebar to deselect the units almost never seems to work. I have no idea how to open the inventory to equip the pickaxe so I can mine. The wiki says "open the inventory" but it doesn't say how to do that. Typing the letter i just sends the focus to the chat window and types the letter i there.

I'm sure this could be fun, but I have absolutely no idea what to do, and unfortunately the "quick start" guide didn't really help. I don't know if these issues are with the game itself, or with the BYOND client. Can anyone help me out here? I'd like to try this out, but so far I'm just getting frustrated.

EDIT: I managed to find the inventory panel (you have to click "info" on the upper-right window) and mined a bit, but after a few tiles everything went black. Does this mean dwarfs can't see in the dark? Is there a way to create light? Or have I missed something else?

I did figure out how to increase your population. That was pretty fun.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 07:36:39 am by Sappho »

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 08:35:25 am »

I can't even figure out how to start it. I installed BYOND, Geroleth cannot be found when searching the games list, I click Open, enter byond://67.175.83.178:3330 and it says "Connecting...failed".

Am I doing something wrong? Better update the Getting started guide with instructions on how to open the game.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 08:51:37 am »

Probably because you're spelling it wrong. Search "Garoleth" : ) I think that's what I did the first time, too.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 08:54:47 am »

Probably because you're spelling it wrong. Search "Garoleth" : ) I think that's what I did the first time, too.
I'd actually typed this right, but I just tried it again and I found it. Last time I'd typed "gar" and I only saw a game called Pokemon Garnet. Now the pokemon game is gone and I can see Garoleth.

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 08:41:12 pm »

I had some of my players register to bump the thread. Namely Demote and Shortyrbs. They're good guys.

Been helping Sappho out in game. The BYOND client takes a little getting used to if you're new to it, but once you have it figured out it's easy as pie.

Updated the port - it was 3336, not 3330.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 08:45:00 pm »

You sort of lost me at BYOND, it's kind of hard to make a good game that plays well with BYOND. I do know however that whoever the maker of the game is really trying to get his game out there, since I've already seen an advert for this on 4chan's /v/.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 04:21:13 am »

I'd suggest you try it out, no matter your hesitation at the name byond. Some games transcend some of the issues.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4