Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Garoleth - A Byond game inspired by Dwarf Fortress  (Read 12092 times)

FlynnHarley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Garoleth - A Byond game inspired by Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 12:56:04 pm »

I've been playing this for a while, it's actually not that bad for a byond game. A few interface gripes, but nothing difficult to fix. I'm having a good time with it, there's a lot of variety here.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 01:44:45 pm »

I selected all units, dug around a bit, then a told them to build a stone stairs up, I saw the stair appearing... and then I never saw my units again.Tried Z-level up and down but they were nowhere to be seen, even though I was kobold and I'd started underground, there was nowhere for them to go. The hotkey for global select didn't do anything either. Really frustrating, I gave up.

FlynnHarley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 01:53:12 pm »

I selected all units, dug around a bit, then a told them to build a stone stairs up, I saw the stair appearing... and then I never saw my units again.Tried Z-level up and down but they were nowhere to be seen, even though I was kobold and I'd started underground, there was nowhere for them to go. The hotkey for global select didn't do anything either. Really frustrating, I gave up.

Did you check the Unit tab at the top right? If you don't see it, click the Info button, also in the top right. That should make the tabs appear. Then your units should be in the unit tab. Just double-click on them and press z to find them.

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 05:50:41 pm »

If you need to find your units, no matter where they are, select them in the unit tab and press Z to zoom to them.

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 04:13:32 am »

I've spent enough time with this game that I now feel capable of providing my opinions.

I like it a lot. I don't think everyone can find a lot of enjoyment in it, but for those of us who enjoy Dwarf Fortress, there's a lot to be appreciated (just like there was in Dungeon Master). There's a learning curve, but that shouldn't be too big of a problem for most of us, and there are usually plenty of people online who are happy to help. I believe Rojiru has some very good ideas for where he wants to take the project, and I look forward to seeing where it goes. To anybody still on the fence about trying it, I would recommend it.
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 05:31:53 pm »

I concur with Fanofgaming's view on the game, its a very fun game with ALOT of potential. And im rather excited over where the game is going to go next. BTW, Rojiru. Do you have a blog or something for Garoleth?

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 09:14:52 pm »

That's a pretty big endorsement guys, thanks.

As for a blog or something - nah, I don't currently write anything like a blog - ala Toady's front page, however as soon as some of the initial release bugs are worked out and I've filled in more information on the wiki, I would definitely see starting something like that.

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 08:30:57 am »

Server was down last night. Apparently your cable company does like it when you don't pay your bills.

Everything is up again. :D

assasinwar9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 11:35:08 am »

playing right now  8)
immortal is never dieing so that sucks lol

Spherine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 12:24:20 pm »

I can honestly say Garoleth is a amzing game it will both amaze you and fascinate. come play maybe you can join my legendary clan  ;D

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 07:10:01 pm »

Currently looking into invisible lizardmanshields and invisible smelted crystals... Fires destroying sky tiles, and desert/swamp tiles turning to grass/snow when you kill the wall on top of them, but other than that everything is peachy atm.

Be sure to use the BYOND client pager to send me any bug reports. I get lots of spam in game so the pager is the best way to make sure I'm getting the bug report.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 07:31:57 pm »

It's been seriously awesome to see some Bay12ers in game. It seems like we've all had quite a bit of fun to this point, and as a four year veteran of the game, I'm happy to take any willing to learn under my wing.That "legendary" clan of Spherine belongs to me, and we're all happy to help ^_^

Azkul

• Bay Watcher
  • Also,
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 10:49:39 am »

Played it a bit, has quite a bit of potential but difficult to get past the clunky interface BYOND provides
Whereas !!ALCHEMY!! has, since the times of Kings Arthur and Charlemagne, been about transforming oneself into a horse using feces.
It turns out sleep is unnecessary because you can just get married and get infinite kisses

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 03:50:39 pm »

The BYOND interface only has some slight annoyances, such and players randomly getting stuck without hotkeys because they've accidentally typed something into the .alt bar at the bottom of the screen.

Anywho - this weekends updates will feature some more wiki pages, a ton of bugfixes, clan armor and clan bases. More to come friday/saturday.

Starting early next week will be a playerwipe, so if you're planning on starting fresh then that's the time to come.

firehawk11

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2013, 01:30:47 am »

I think Garoleth is a wonderful game which takes time to get built up but once you get built up...nothing can take you down, if you hide your wife and craftor. I suggest if you like rts games, you should check out the, I can stomp my opponents into the ground with sheer armor skill and a spear...gotta axe it to Rojiru on that one. My favorite races for combat are Lizard due to poison skill which is pretty strong at 100, poison fangs so poison on poison on top of regeneration limbs. That makes any lizardman army to fear as long as you have high quality armor such as super natural Bone or leather, or even legendary metal from orc warrior or warlord and human warriors. Skorn armor is great also, best armor without crafting if...only if you don't believe in stealing from the dead.

Then we got orcs...orcs have the best non-dwarf armor crafting like goblins I think but Metal,bone and leather. That combine with their high combat skills, any orc is deadly if teamed with a dwarf...oh man, you got problems but humans and dwarfs can make silver which is ok, great for demon hunting tho. Those race both live for about 100 years and have low chance for mages but, you know what i mean.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4