Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55]

Author Topic: Paranormal 23 - Game Over!  (Read 133646 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 23 - Day 3 brings death and release
« Reply #810 on: December 24, 2013, 09:42:54 am »

SBC:  Remember this?

Makeinu: I see a possible explanation for the "two shields" bit, but I'm not going to say what it is until Mr. Cat comes forward and corrects his claim.

The correct answer was "Alien Survivor" with a natural mind shield.  If you had claimed that, not only would I have bought it at first, I would have tried to help you win.

Toaster, I do remember, I was considering it... But sadly, I hesitated too long. Also, I felt that if I claimed Survivor, and didn't initially, I would've been completely killed.

By claiming Hivemind, I have a reason to lie the first time, by claiming Survivor, no reason to lie.

Survivor is typically a bit anti-town, since they want the game to end quickly and siding with the scum team is usually faster.  This game, though, the dopp team was in deep trouble so a survivor working with the town was totally a real thing.  Plus (if you actually were a survivor), if your shield had been blown N2 the dopp team would have known you weren't human anyway.

It's one of those things that will come with practice.

Everyone, about makeinu:  I was floored that any of you trusted makeinu after his D1 capers.  I couldn't see any reason why -any- of you would accept that -anyone- would trust him in a PM.  I couldn't imagine trusting him myself.  Given that he approached Jim with some form of 'I inspected you and know your role' and that role was true, I can see why Jim would be most cooperative.  But the rest of you?  Wowsers.

I've seen this happen before (most recently, Magic Mafia) where a scum team member will give someone way too much grief for a really minor offense, then die shortly afterward.  After reviewing the actions of the dead scum, that person they targeted suddenly looks much more not-scum.

After he broke the tie D2 to Imp, I was totally convinced he was town.  As I said to Makeinu...

As far as I can tell, you're the towniest townman that ever towned the towny seas at this point
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 23 - Game Over!
« Reply #811 on: December 24, 2013, 10:26:41 am »

Hivemind may have worked as a claim if town were in a position where they had to lynch dopps.  However with two doppelgangers already dead a Hivemind presents a much greater threat than the last remaining mafia member.

That said I think SBC's position on day 3 was basically unwinnable, so I don't really blame him for giving up.

I don't either. Thinking about it last night, his best case scenario, absolute best case, he'd have come up against the Caz/Jim combo at the end. Even if he'd survived that long, and he probably wouldn't have, there was no way to break that.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: I've never seen a game where D3 dawned with two successful scum lynches and no scum night kills. Attribute it to whatever you like, that's just phenomenal.

As I said to Makeinu...

As far as I can tell, you're the towniest townman that ever towned the towny seas at this point

He really said that...
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: December 24, 2013, 10:45:57 am »

Has anyone else seen a better game for town?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: December 24, 2013, 10:56:57 am »

Personally, SBC, I think you should have stuck with Vanilla Townie with a Mind shield as your fakeclaim. With both Detective and Agent in the game to *prove* your claim, you could have gotten much further while people struggled to determine what was going on.

With the mind shield you were immune to both the Mind Stealer and the Psychic Warden, and at that point in the game the Military Scientist, Intelligence Scientist, and Observant Guard were all dead. Those were the only roles that even had a chance of directly threatening you and the Intelligence Scientist's tech choice wasn't actually a threat.

In your place I would have killed ToonyMan N3 in order to mess up town's ability to use his blocks to prove that someone didn't do the night kill. That would leave Tiruin and Toaster the most likely lynch candidates since they were unproven. N4 I'd probably kill Jim, since his abduction ability was so powerful.

At that point...it would depend on what people were doing and what they were thinking.

Victory given the situation Day 3 would be a long shot no matter what, but this would have given you the best shot of whittling down town and causing them to mislynch people. Eventually they'd probably determine that you were a dopp leader and lynch you, but I don't think any fake claim would serve better. Eventually, if they use their powers and deduction correctly, they'd be able to clear pretty much everyone else, but the power of doubt is very strong. People tend to trust Agent/Detective results much more than the possibility that there is the one role in the game that's going to circumvent those powers.

Overall, if you're going to fake claim in a game with open roles, make sure you know the consequences of the role you're thinking of fake claiming as. A fake claim is only as useful as its ability to mask what you are. If there are obvious flaws in your claim, either because you can be shown to be lying due to how that role works or because that role is dangerous to town, all you're doing is making your situation worse. Better to be suspected scum by your actions than proven dangerous or a liar.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: December 24, 2013, 11:09:42 am »

Persus was still alive.

Question: if the Observant Guard is guarding someone, and attacked at night, he does not get the warning out, right?

If so, the best N3 kill would've been Persus. Then he really would've been beyond detection.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: December 24, 2013, 11:23:59 am »

Killing me N2 might have been a good strategy.

The Intelligence Scientist's tech choice wasn't actually a threat. 
So your saying that the Intelligent Scientist's tech choice wasn't...
(puts on sunglasses)
...intelligent.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: December 24, 2013, 11:51:54 am »

Persus was still alive.

Question: if the Observant Guard is guarding someone, and attacked at night, he does not get the warning out, right?

If so, the best N3 kill would've been Persus. Then he really would've been beyond detection.

Ah, you're right. I was looking at the wrong line on my spreadsheet.

But you are correct, a Guard's abilities don't trigger if they're the target.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: December 24, 2013, 12:41:34 pm »

Killing me N2 might have been a good strategy.

The Intelligence Scientist's tech choice wasn't actually a threat. 
So your saying that the Intelligent Scientist's tech choice wasn't...
(puts on sunglasses)
...intelligent.
* Tiruin shoots Persus.
:I

Well that, and I gave him advice on his choices.

Quote from: Tiruin
[Long silly stuff on why we trust each other]

Hmm, anyway, I'm guessing you're a Intel Scientist, huh. On your other choices...
Snooper bot: This little bug-bot can trail another player at night and see where they go (if anywhere).
Advanced Tracking Devices: These devices are planted on players during the day. Once planted they show where the tracked individual is. If the player being tracked is killed, the device is lost. The Scientist starts with 2 devices and can create more devices by spending two nights working to build one.
> Right now, you're a permanent watcher.
> I've no idea if the Snooper is reusable (would be darn glad if it was because then you'd be a permanent Tracker)
> The ATD seems a lot better given how you can plant these at the daytime, and given no obvious limit, you can plant in D1 and checkity check. :>

..Yeah you should've gone with the ATD for its efficiency. :P

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: December 24, 2013, 04:11:53 pm »

Well....

I blew that in IRC Meph :>

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: December 24, 2013, 06:00:23 pm »

The Advanced Tracking Devices pretty much won Paranormal 20 for town.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: December 24, 2013, 06:45:38 pm »

The ATDs seem to be clearly the best choice for a townie (assuming you don't prematurely use your bots on the lynch targets you'll basically always end up with more information than you would with the snooper bot for at least the first three nights).  The cameras are possibly more useful for a doppelganger, but it makes it harder to fakeclaim because it's difficult to justify taking them as town.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55]