Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Masterwork DF for newbs?  (Read 1414 times)

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Masterwork DF for newbs?
« on: July 30, 2013, 11:19:40 am »

I play with the lazynewb pack. Masterwork seems to basically include this and give a nicer interface (mouse support). I have been watching the videos.  However, it adds a ton of new features. Should I avoid this as a new player? I thought Id try it since the interface seems to be a little more user friendly.

also I liked the idea of 1 type of leather, etc... to me this simplifies the game some since the lists are shorter to filter through. Been around a while, but I dont play that much and Im not that good. The FPS improvement is nice, but I have a nice PC and I dont last long enough to get to FPS death.

I just noticed it. It looks like a new mob and its the first one to get its own forum. There are alot of overhaul mods.

Are the orc and kobold locations similiar to how people think Toadie will implement 'sites'?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 11:26:58 am by guessingo »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Masterwork DF for newbs?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 11:34:00 am »

As a new player it will be difficult to understand which parts are modded and which parts are from the original game.

I usually refer new players to playing unmodded DF first, but the mod includes a few features designed for newbs, like the Sandbox world. Just keep in mind that the mod is harder then the normal game, and you should probably use the Settings.exe to disable to more difficult parts, like invaders and secret fun.

Orc and Kobold has nothing to do with sites or locations, in the mod they are completely new races that you can play. You can make an OrcFort or a KoboldCamp and play with those instead of dwarves. Both races consist of unique, race-specific features, so its vastly different from Dwarf Fortress.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 10:32:22 am »

thanks. about only having 1 type of leather. in the main game, do you make different items with different types of leathers? Os is a leather from 1 animal the same as 1 from another and just makes your list longer?

i did like the lets play video of Masterwork DF. its the first one to explain optimization in Dwarf Therapist.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 10:57:44 am »

All vanilla leathers are the same in every aspect but the name the only exceptions being imp and dragon leathers which are unobtainable anyway.
As for mouse support, I believe it's dfhack plugin called mousequery. One can get that in vanila by downloading Expanded LNP for example. Or you can try to disable everything you can in masterwork config.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:12:39 am by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 11:15:59 am »

Leathers are the same, only have a different name, and its Mousequery, correct. :)

You can find more LetsPlays of MasterworkDF in this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125638.0
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 09:55:49 pm »

Are the orc and kobold locations similiar to how people think Toadie will implement 'sites'?

No, not really, especially since orcs aren't in the game and sites can't be modded.

Dwarf Kitty

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeking owner to adopt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 10:12:23 pm »

Honestly, for me, just having invaders off or disabling all but the weakest of invaders makes the game easy enough.  More time to spend on the other stuff.   ;)

The ton of new features seems daunting, but you can ignore most of them until you get around to them.  You can safely leave all the extra workshops and added reactions on for now.  They'll just clutter up the building menus and put some items in stockpile lists.
Menaces with swipes of claw.
Meows with rumbles of purr.

A cute fluffy little creature fond of idle games, DF, and writing.