Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What License agreement is dwarf fortress under?  (Read 1618 times)

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
What License agreement is dwarf fortress under?
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:13:42 am »

I want to know what license Dwarf Fortress is under because i cannot find any information on it and i would nice to be able to legally justify lets plays and the like.

Thank you for your time.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: What License agreement is dwarf fortress under?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 11:46:39 am »

Check the readme.txt, it should cover most of what you're looking for.

I think technically Toady's blessed it if he's providing a board just for such thing ( community games and stories ), and since he's the creator and copyright owner, well there ya go.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 06:19:12 pm »

In practice, Toady is pretty much cool with whatever so long as it's well-intentioned. When in doubt you can just ask, explicit written protection should hold up in any setting (I'm guessing overly zealous forum mods somewhere?) that you're liable to encounter.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 10:38:50 am »

Hmm, never read the readme before.  I better uninstall quick before it destroys my hard drive and way of life.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 02:33:45 pm »

Let's play would surely qualify as fair use anyway. It's non-profit, does not damage merchantability, and exposes only enough information to make a review.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 04:21:19 pm »

pretty sure toady does not care if we make money off youtube videos. He does not have legal standing there anyways since as the people making the films we own the copyright to the film

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 05:22:53 pm »

pretty sure toady does not care if we make money off youtube videos. He does not have legal standing there anyways since as the people making the films we own the copyright to the film

I believe it could be argued that he does have legal standing under DMCA, or at least are considered important enough. Though those technicality's really beside the point when he's not interested in such thing. Only thing I've seen him take a stand against is those that's tried to modify or copy the internals of DF and claim such as their own, and that is pretty much a violation of copyright in first place.

Either way, showing it off's all good :D