Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ARB_sync working for anyone?  (Read 5113 times)

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ARB_sync working for anyone?
« on: August 05, 2013, 09:40:08 am »

Tried to enable it in init.txt on multiple computers with various configurations, always ends up with and assertion error.

On my main rig, I have GeForce 670GTX with the latest drivers 310.44, it states it is OpenGL 4.3 compliant, GL_ARB_sync is clearly listed as supported by the drivers.

Where is the problem, does anyone know?
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: ARB_sync working for anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 10:48:09 am »

works fine on my gtx 460 driver 314.22

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 02:24:16 pm »

Windows or Linux?
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 08:39:06 pm »

windows 7 64 bit

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 12:44:43 am »

Note the line of text above the ARB_SYNC option in init.txt:
Code: [Select]
On cards that support the OpenGL ARB_sync extension, turning this on can improve framerates in GPU overload conditions. It defaults to NO, as many cards that claim to support this will crash if asked to do so.
Perhaps your card is one of the ones that only "claims" to support it. I don't know if this actually tested it, but setting ARB_SYNC to YES for me didn't crash on my Radeon 3100 (although I didn't actually "play", I was able to open a game, quit it, and exit DF without problems).
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 04:57:14 am »

Yes, I have read the text, and I seriously doubt that flagship NVIDIA cards have botched up OpenGL implementation.

Tested the problem some more on various machines:

Works without problems on my Radeon 6800M laptop card
Works on Windows 7 64bit, Nvidia GTX 670 fullscreen and windowed, but when I try to resize the window, the application hangs.
On the same machine under Kubuntu 13.04, and on another, older Kubuntu machine (64bit versions), both produce the same error:

Code: [Select]
Dwarf_Fortress: src/g_src/renderer_opengl.hpp:172: virtual void renderer_opengl::render(): Assertion `enabler.sync == __null' failed
The source file is actually present (what for? I thought df is just precompiled binaries...), I looked into it and it seems it's a short function that tests whether the driver reports that it supports ARB_sync, and if so, tries to enable it, but throws an exception. The code looks like it uses SDL, could it be that it's built with an obsolete SDL version?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 06:44:09 am by Kamamura »

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 11:36:08 am »

I recommend you join the #dwarfortress channel on the freenode irc network. whole bunch of linux derivative users on there that can help you with sdl and binary problems. Only gist iremeber of their discussions is you have to download a lot of support packages

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 09:50:48 am »

I'm running on windows 7 64-bit with my gtx 670. Driver version 301.42. Also this is a variant made by EVGA. I think it uses some parts from the 680. I can't help you with the problem. Just wanted to confirm.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 08:05:19 pm »

I'm running on windows 7 64-bit with my gtx 670. Driver version 301.42. Also this is a variant made by EVGA. I think it uses some parts from the 680. I can't help you with the problem. Just wanted to confirm.

When you run the game in a window, and try to resize the window with ARB_sync on, does it hang or does it work correctly?

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 11:11:24 am »

can't say i have noticed such a thing. I usually run the game windowed and maximize it right after launch

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 07:04:36 am »

And can you please try?

I have basically two situations here (tested on 3 different machines).

Windows - ARB_sync works, regardless of hardware, but hangs on resizing the window
Linux - ARB_sync never worls, regardless of hardware, always ends up with the mentioned failed assert.

Specifically, my questions are:

1) Is there anyone running DF with ARB_sync on able to resize the window without the game freezing?
2) Is there anyone able to start the game with ARB_sync on without getting the mentioned error?

Thank you.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 10:05:20 am »

I don't get an error message and it resizes fine. Whether I use the mouse or f11 it does not hang at all. Also, I should be able to do a linux test within a few weeks.