Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 311

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 476667 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Order of the Stick
« on: August 06, 2013, 12:12:22 pm »

So a while ago there was an Order of the Stick thread, but it died a while ago and so we shall have a new one.

Be forewarned: There are spoilers within!

The first comic.

The latest comic.

Thread guidelines, aside from forum rules:
1. Please put stuff from Start of Darkness or On the Origin of PCs in spoiler tags. Please.
2. Do not put the actual comic in this thread. Rich doesn't like it, plus if you hotlink it uses the GITP server's bandwidth.
3. There are no other guidelines yet, but there may be in the future.

Note that I will occasionally/often be late on updating the title/OP.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 09:40:31 am by RedWarrior0 »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The new Order of the Stick thread: 908
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 12:27:19 pm »

Whoo, sweet. Love OOtS, and this forum reminds me to read it when it updates.

Can someone with more knowledge of DnD than me, explain why the Cure Moderate Wounds that Durkon cast (or whatever a priest does? do they cast things?) hurt Roy in that latest panel (908)?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 12:34:09 pm »

As a rule, Good aligned clerics can turn one of their prepared spells into a cure wounds spell, while Evil aligned clerics can do the same but get an inflict wounds spell.
Durkon tried to turn one of his remaining spells into a cure spell, but due ... changed perspective on life, he mistakenly used an inflict wounds spell.

Another possible explanation is that he may not be Evil, but since he is animated by negative energy he still can only cast negative energy spells in that way.

edit: I am no expert myself, so the above may not be clear. Bare bones: he cast an inflict wounds spell, due to being a vampire.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 12:41:25 pm »

As a rule, Good aligned clerics can turn one of their prepared spells into a cure wounds spell, while Evil aligned clerics can do the same but get an inflict wounds spell.
Durkon tried to turn one of his remaining spells into a cure spell, but due ... changed perspective on life, he mistakenly used an inflict wounds spell.

Another possible explanation is that he may not be Evil, but since he is animated by negative energy he still can only cast negative energy spells in that way.

edit: I am no expert myself, so the above may not be clear. Bare bones: he cast an inflict wounds spell, due to being a vampire.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. Thanks!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 12:42:31 pm »

God I love OOTS. Nothing can replace 8BT, but this about as close as you get for webcomics.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 12:58:31 pm »

This post has been co-opted to make room for the super sized list that I'm probably not going to finish making.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 03:09:44 pm by RedWarrior0 »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 01:02:52 pm »

Hmm, the official rules seem to only say that you change from turn undead to rebuke undead, and that you only get access to a certain group of the more evilish domains, but since the spontaneous casting of cure is associated with the turn/rebuke alignment, I'd guess that should change too.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 09:59:50 pm »

Yep. If your alignment is officially evil, you swap out prepared spells with negative energy. Bro tip: Neutral clerics get to choose whether they get turn/cure or rebuke/inflict at chargen.

Also, yaaaay this is updating again. Well, it has for a while, but man did it take a long time for Rich to get his hand fixed.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 05:55:46 pm »

Update! In which some stuff happens.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The new Order of the Stick thread: 909 Shifting Sands
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 06:24:45 pm »

Ooh, an OotS thread.
*Posting to watch*

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 07:08:10 pm »

Ooh, an OotS thread.
*Posting to watch*
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 07:10:20 pm »

PTW.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 07:27:37 pm »

I definitely like new Durkon, he's already shown himself to be pretty awesome. I wonder if it will have much effect on his actual character, though, past the new abilities?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 08:08:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 08:21:47 pm »

I'm calling it now, Belkar will end up drawn to the power that comes with vampirism and get Durkon to turn him, therefore fulfilling his prophecy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 311