Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 312

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 491530 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #2790 on: April 18, 2018, 06:07:10 am »

The fact that he hasn't used a bow since school is a joke on the fact that all fighters know how to use a bow, but many will never use it because they're the "hitting things" class.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: April 18, 2018, 02:06:43 pm »

The fact that he hasn't used a bow since school is a joke on the fact that all fighters know how to use a bow, but many will never use it because they're the "hitting things" class.

Well, more because bows aren't very good in D&D 3.5 for doing any kind of remotely okay damage, but otherwise yeah.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: April 18, 2018, 04:23:03 pm »

Multiclassing is definitely in 3.5 and almost certainly 3.0 too. Heck. In AD&D the only way you could become a bard involved three class changes, from Fighter to Thief to Druid, so multiclassing was a thing way back in the early days. Of course you could easily be talking about something different and I'm sure that the specifics have changed quite a bit from edition to edition too so... Eh?

It could be said that 3.x was THE multiclassing edition, it was the one that codified the whole thing where each level you can pick a different class. Up to that point only demi-humans got their weird experience splitting/hit point averaging multi-class, mostly because they were limited to a maximum level in each class. And humans got some dual classing that was weird.

Well, more because bows aren't very good in D&D 3.5 for doing any kind of remotely okay damage, but otherwise yeah.

Bows are annoying because you can't add ability bonus to damage, except for composite bows need high strength and dexterity to be effective.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: April 22, 2018, 02:03:34 pm »

old D&D rules "multiclassing" were extremely restrictive, complex and error-prone. you couldn't just decide to take your next level as "whatever" as you could in 3.X

Up to 2nd ed, you could be a multi-class demihuman, but you had to choose the classes at character creation from a preset number of racially restricted choices. XP would be split between your 2-3 classes, and since each class had it's own unique level up table, the classses would level up at different rates.

Or, you could start as a single class human, then at some point, switch to another class but you're bumped back to first level and not allowed to use any of the old class's abilities until you get your new class back up to the level of the old class. This was how the bard thing worked in 1ed.

e.g. you could start as a fighter, then switch to a mage at level 4, but you had to somehow forget how to hold a sword and wear armor, then when you get mage back to level 4 and above, you were suddenly allowed to use your fighter abilities again. Which was a bullshit system, but obviously could be an advantage over playing a pure mage: start as a class with strong HP for a few levels then switch to a magic-heavy class later. Since early levels are so cheap you only end up about 1 level behind everyone else, but you can gain quite a few levels of fighter for that one lost level of mage (because each class had it's XP calculated separately).

Obviously, the 3ed+ system is a lot simpler than the above choices.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:10:10 pm by Reelya »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: April 27, 2018, 12:06:50 am »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: April 27, 2018, 09:22:01 am »

I'd have gone for the healer (cleric) first, regardless of whether NotDurkon's regen would have handled it or not.

Also, I'm pretty sure realDurkon showed the vampire his memory of using a creatively improvised sonic attack just as the other vampire did that, hence the being unimpressed.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: May 01, 2018, 10:20:47 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: May 01, 2018, 11:14:22 am »

Another already? I guess writerguy must be feeling the spring energy too!
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: May 01, 2018, 11:15:29 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The edge of that seems to have also one hit KO'd one of the vampires.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: May 01, 2018, 11:52:35 am »

Wait, is she using her baby as a divine focus?  That is a component for Flame Strike, and it's almost like Burlew is drawing attention to her off-hand (and other clerics typically are shown grasping their holy/unholy symbols at such times).
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: May 01, 2018, 12:03:58 pm »

Wait, is she using her baby as a divine focus?  That is a component for Flame Strike, and it's almost like Burlew is drawing attention to her off-hand (and other clerics typically are shown grasping their holy/unholy symbols at such times).

She clearly loves her son despite who fathered him and the fact that Durkon got her pregnant is currently the focus of her ire, so, that and the natural desire to protect her child makes sense that he could be used as the focus. It's kind of a double focus actually.

He also seems to be wearing a tiny pendant which could be Loki's holy symbol. No idea what the rules are for that, but I guess if you're 'wearing' a creature that is then wearing a holy symbol, I guess it works? OR it could be the zipper on his one-piece, no idea.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 12:07:15 pm by smjjames »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: May 01, 2018, 12:13:00 pm »

Yeah, I bet you're right about the pendant.  That would be a neat bit of trickery.
I was wrong about OotS clerics always being drawn grasping holy symbols when they're supposed to, but still.
She/they

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: May 01, 2018, 04:34:31 pm »

The holy symbol is part of the baby harness. PRE-EDIT: Huh, no it's not. The brown is Kudzu's shirt, the red is the harness.

How odd though, Flame Strike is not a Fire Domain spell, it's part of the Sun and War Domains. Not that she cast it as a domain spell. Damage from that would be 15d6 * 1.5(Empowered Spell), with half the damage(or 30 if the total damage is 60 or more) removed due to Resist Fire. Mr. Crispy is probably a lesser spawn and/or blew his Reflex save, though that spell could conceivably have dusted them all; (15*6)*1.5-30 = 105 damage. Only Durkon, assuming 17th-level, could potentially have that many hitpoints.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: May 01, 2018, 06:42:54 pm »

I thought she was just covering his eyes so he didn't look directly into the Flame Strike.  I didn't think there was any extra motivation beyond her statement.  Does Greater Scrying require a divine component?  That could be a clue, since she isn't making the same gesture there.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: May 01, 2018, 07:01:08 pm »

Do we even know what Loki's holy symbol looks like? Helga from WAAAYY back didn't have a pendant or anything while Durkon had (and is still wearing) his holy symbol pendant.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 312