Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 311

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 484572 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #3015 on: July 27, 2018, 02:09:15 pm »

PogChamp

Great page, all round.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: July 27, 2018, 03:10:10 pm »

SO if I understand everything that happened:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That essentially sum it up?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 03:12:09 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: July 27, 2018, 04:23:30 pm »

Baaaasically, just not the details.  He doesn't have sneak attack (and it doesn't work on undead), and you can't power attack with light weapons (if he even has power attack).
Also those three sources add damage, not multiply.  And I don't think they those bonuses would be multiplied by a crit, if a crit were possible against undead.

However, you're probably right that he's raging, and thanks for reminding me that he has barbarian level(s)!  I missed that.
You're probably right about the amulet, too, though that part's weird.  Mechanically pain doesn't cure getting "knocked out" (taking nonlethal damage).  Oh... giantitp forums probably already said this, but maaaybe the pain triggered a rage, which gives temporary hit points, which *could* (temporarily) make him conscious again!

But yeah he basically is just really good at killing undead (ranger favored enemy), raging, and a high level melee PC with magic daggers.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: July 27, 2018, 04:25:09 pm »

Or maybe the 'DM' decided it was narratively appropriate. Rule 0, bitches.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: July 27, 2018, 04:28:44 pm »

So what with what just happened to Durkon, is he now a dwarf again? Or is he still a vampire, just.... good?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: July 27, 2018, 04:36:54 pm »

You're probably right about the amulet, too, though that part's weird.  Mechanically pain doesn't cure getting "knocked out" (taking nonlethal damage).  Oh... giantitp forums probably already said this, but maaaybe the pain triggered a rage, which gives temporary hit points, which *could* (temporarily) make him conscious again!

I think this theory has been brought up here before, but it's looking pretty possible and relevant:

On the Amulet activation waking Belkar up, I wonder if it has to do with how he was dominated. The vampire notes that he only needed a small push to act how he did when dominated, and what he does is... Sorta technically his job. "Protecting" V. I have to wonder if the vampires dominated him, and realizing that he's just such a fucking contrary asshole decided  that giving him orders would be constantly going against his nature, thus giving him lots of new will saves with bonuses attached to them, and instead ordered him along the lines of following his orders in a very assholeish and counter productive way, which would be very with in his nature, and thus he wouldn't get more saves against it. You'll notice he's pretty much undamaged, and only go down when Roy orders him to stay down. So it's possible he wasn't knocked out at all, but rather just laying on the ground "staying down" still dominated. When the amulet is activated it suppresses his domination and allows him to act freely.

So what with what just happened to Durkon, is he now a dwarf again? Or is he still a vampire, just.... good?

I'm pretty sure he's still a vampire, just a good one now with his old personality (or rather a copy of it... Although a sorta academic point at that point) in control.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: July 27, 2018, 04:41:11 pm »

Yeah, my theory is that he wasn't knocked out, he was just dominated with orders to follow orders when Roy knocked him prone and told him to stay down.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: July 27, 2018, 04:41:26 pm »

But yeah he basically is just really good at killing undead (ranger favored enemy), raging, and a high level melee PC with magic daggers.
Really, the only way he could be any better at killing them is if they were *Human* Vampires.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: July 27, 2018, 04:42:54 pm »

Poncho *was* a human, right?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: July 27, 2018, 04:43:18 pm »

Pretty sure it's anyone's guess, and I'm guessing "good vampire" dead.  Blood cables didn't get broken, nothing got cast, technically the vampire just absorbed the memories in a weird way.
It's certainly possible vampirism is so curse-based that the physical changes reverse now, but in that case I'd sorta expect him to die instead. 

In fact that might be the actual outcome here.  Durkon becomes a corpse (one last self-sacrificing slap in the face to poor Belkar).  Hel's thwarted.  But Durkon refuses to accept resurrection.  He'll certainly be with Thor (he died saving Belkar, arguably both times) but some of the other dwarves here might be Hel-bound.  Dunno if getting murdered before you can fight back counts.

... Heh, longshot, but what if the evil dwarf who was cooperating with her vampire gets chosen to be raised and join the party?  That could be interesting. 
Then again I don't remember if they actually have the diamonds anymore, there was some talk of spending them on something.

Ninja'd:  Right, Poncho!  But... huh, is she human?  What's she doing here?  She does look tall.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: July 27, 2018, 04:43:28 pm »

Baaaasically, just not the details.  He doesn't have sneak attack (and it doesn't work on undead), and you can't power attack with light weapons (if he even has power attack).
Also those three sources add damage, not multiply.  And I don't think they those bonuses would be multiplied by a crit, if a crit were possible against undead.

However, you're probably right that he's raging, and thanks for reminding me that he has barbarian level(s)!  I missed that.

He almost certainly stabbed Ponchula in the back with a wooden stake (the pencil-looking thing he's holding), which takes a vamp down until the stake is removed. He then cut her head off to "destroy the body", completing the kill.

EDIT: The "host cooperating with her vampire" was Ponchula, who was human.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: July 27, 2018, 04:46:30 pm »

He almost certainly stabbed Ponchula in the back with a wooden stake (the pencil-looking thing he's holding), which takes a vamp down until the stake is removed. He then cut her head off to "destroy the body", completing the kill.
Thanks, I see it now!  Heh, I wonder if he has a decanter of endless water too.
She/they

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: July 27, 2018, 04:46:53 pm »

...But he stabbed her in the back with the dagger, not the stake.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: July 27, 2018, 04:49:35 pm »

You can see on panel 11 he has a wooden Stake that's about to stab into her back, and on panel 13 it's gone, presumably driven into her heart as he simultaneously chops off her head.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: July 27, 2018, 04:50:42 pm »

We can see his other hand while he's doing the decapitating, and I'd assume that an important combat beat like that would not happen off screen.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 311