Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 311

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 485350 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #3090 on: August 03, 2018, 02:08:47 pm »

Isn't punching each other what people are supposed to do in Valhalla? ;P
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: August 03, 2018, 02:48:14 pm »

I'd say Gandalf and the Rohirrim is still a Deus Ex Machina. "Gandalf leaves to go get Eomer seven chapters earlier" isn't enough set up to not make it one, in my opinion. I think this Durkvelopment is one too, by the way. I'd have no problems with it being one, though, but I also think it was anti-climatic. Which is, honestly, a rather separate issue.
I mean, it depends on how you define a Deus Ex Machina.

In the movies, yes, the Eomer thing is a bit strange and not-really-explained, but even then they set up that there was a force of Rohirrim elsewhere and that Gandalf has a plan (look for me in 5 days and all).

In the books, it's set up even better---Tolkien mentions that a cloaked man on an incredibly fast horse has been seen galloping across the countryside, that Erkenbrand's men have been scattered after the battle at the Fords of Isen, etc. It's clearly established both times that Gandalf is doing something and that something has to do with saving Helm's Deep, because both times the Rohirrim and the Three Hunters *know* that they are outnumbered and risk losing the battle. It's not a Deus Ex Machina here because not only does everyone know that Gandalf is doing something about their problem, they also know about the problem before it happens. Oh, and in the books it's not even Gandalf who saves the day, it's the Huorns anyway.

I don't remember enough of the book to recognise half of the names in there, let alone argue against it. The main thing I remember from the books was Gimli being a tree stump outside the walls. Also that part where Legolas surfs down the walls on a shield, that totally happened in the books too right? ;)

New one is up.

To be perfectly honest, I forgot Minrah died. Poor girl, I really liked her.

Yeah, she was cool. I wanted to believe she would be the new cleric of the team after/if Durkon died/unlived. Maybe Helga will stay with the team though? Probably not, but it would be cool too.
Love, scriver~

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: August 03, 2018, 02:55:14 pm »

Cat confirmed to be the sane one in the party.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: August 03, 2018, 03:02:44 pm »

I knew it all along!

Also remember that in the end it will be the Cat that defeats the Great Evil Ball of Yarn

I believe it is in the Monomyth
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: August 03, 2018, 04:49:04 pm »

I'd say Gandalf and the Rohirrim is still a Deus Ex Machina. "Gandalf leaves to go get Eomer seven chapters earlier" isn't enough set up to not make it one, in my opinion. I think this Durkvelopment is one too, by the way. I'd have no problems with it being one, though, but I also think it was anti-climatic. Which is, honestly, a rather separate issue.
I mean, it depends on how you define a Deus Ex Machina.

In the movies, yes, the Eomer thing is a bit strange and not-really-explained, but even then they set up that there was a force of Rohirrim elsewhere and that Gandalf has a plan (look for me in 5 days and all).

In the books, it's set up even better---Tolkien mentions that a cloaked man on an incredibly fast horse has been seen galloping across the countryside, that Erkenbrand's men have been scattered after the battle at the Fords of Isen, etc. It's clearly established both times that Gandalf is doing something and that something has to do with saving Helm's Deep, because both times the Rohirrim and the Three Hunters *know* that they are outnumbered and risk losing the battle. It's not a Deus Ex Machina here because not only does everyone know that Gandalf is doing something about their problem, they also know about the problem before it happens. Oh, and in the books it's not even Gandalf who saves the day, it's the Huorns anyway.

I don't remember enough of the book to recognise half of the names in there, let alone argue against it. The main thing I remember from the books was Gimli being a tree stump outside the walls. Also that part where Legolas surfs down the walls on a shield, that totally happened in the books too right? ;)

New one is up.

To be perfectly honest, I forgot Minrah died. Poor girl, I really liked her.

Yeah, she was cool. I wanted to believe she would be the new cleric of the team after/if Durkon died/unlived. Maybe Helga will stay with the team though? Probably not, but it would be cool too.

How many levels separates her from the rest of the team though? 10?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: August 03, 2018, 04:55:10 pm »

Considering she's Durkon's rival...
I was sorta hoping for Minrah too, except she was too low-level.  Helga makes a lot of sense...  Loki doesn't even want the world to end.  I don't remember the exact rules he's bound by, but it seems like he's passively encouraging her to help save the world.  By not interfering.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: August 03, 2018, 05:25:36 pm »

As Haley said in an earlier comic, 'Leave it to Loki to find a loophole.', which he did. I wouldn't call what he's doing 'passive', yes it's passive in the sense of not actively sending an avatar to stop vampDurkon, but he found a loophole to subtly send some help, so, it's active in that sense while still being vague enough to give plausible deniability as far as interfering in the affairs of the other gods.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: August 03, 2018, 05:30:11 pm »

That was... That all made quite a bit of sense. I suppose he's had a lot of time to think about his life in the several months of isolation he's had between his time spent interacting with his evil self.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: August 04, 2018, 03:15:23 pm »

I did expect at least a bigpanel or something for the death of Durkula. I can only imagine Rich was going for the anticlimax?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: August 04, 2018, 05:29:16 pm »

I did expect at least a bigpanel or something for the death of Durkula. I can only imagine Rich was going for the anticlimax?

There was one. Durkula essentially died when Durkon memory-choked him, or whatever. The real victory was Durkon's, Belkar was just a convenient sword to nobly fall on, as it were.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: August 04, 2018, 11:46:41 pm »

There was one. Durkula essentially died when Durkon memory-choked him, or whatever. The real victory was Durkon's, Belkar was just a convenient sword to nobly fall on, as it were.

Maybe died in the sense of being knocked out. Durkon could still feel something there and there was a real risk of it returning. Besides, the vampire state did not change, so, it was at best, simply suppressed.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: August 05, 2018, 01:16:02 am »

Wait, is it Vampire Spirit Durkon who was sent to Vahalla and thinks he's the real Durkon due to the memory thing, or is that the original Durkon?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: August 05, 2018, 02:17:07 am »

Wait, is it Vampire Spirit Durkon who was sent to Vahalla and thinks he's the real Durkon due to the memory thing, or is that the original Durkon?
Given how he commented on finally being able to move his own arms and legs, I'd guess that's real Durkon, not Greg.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: August 05, 2018, 03:48:43 am »

Inb4 there's a copy of Durkon in Hel too.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: August 05, 2018, 04:11:39 am »

I was thinking that. Will probably be  a Chekov gun
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 311