Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 311

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 485503 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #3210 on: August 24, 2018, 10:04:14 pm »

What happened with the one that was guarded by nature or something, the elven gate? I think I recall something about it accidentially getting set on fire, destroying it in the proccess?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: August 25, 2018, 03:44:01 am »

What happened with the one that was guarded by nature or something, the elven gate? I think I recall something about it accidentially getting set on fire, destroying it in the proccess?
There was a bit of red cloak beside it, but that has me confused, since why would Redcloak and Xykon destroy it when they both want it? It might have been an accident, but I don't trust fiction writers enough to do that sort of thing any more.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: August 25, 2018, 05:25:45 am »

There was a bit of red cloak beside it, but that has me confused, since why would Redcloak and Xykon destroy it when they both want it? It might have been an accident, but I don't trust fiction writers enough to do that sort of thing any more.

What happened at Lirian's Gate is a main part of the xykon+redcloak prequel comic, Start Of Darkness (which also revealed that the MitD is spelled to eat Redcloak if he ever betrays xykon as well as some hints as to its identity). Its pretty complex but ultimately boils down to Team Evil having used a fire spell to defeat lirian's defenses, not realising the gate was literally bound to the local living trees, which panicked when they caught fire and shattered the Gate.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: August 25, 2018, 07:40:51 am »

Ah, that makes much more sense.
*Croses another potantial plot hole off the list*
This man is bleeding me dry...
What happened at Lirian's Gate is a main part of the xykon+redcloak prequel comic, Start Of Darkness (which also revealed that the MitD is spelled to eat Redcloak if he ever betrays xykon as well as some hints as to its identity). Its pretty complex but ultimately boils down to Team Evil having used a fire spell to defeat lirian's defenses, not realising the gate was literally bound to the local living trees, which panicked when they caught fire and shattered the Gate.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: August 25, 2018, 09:18:51 am »

I forget where I recall that detail since I've never read that prequel comic, but aside from the details, I apparently recalled correctly.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: August 25, 2018, 09:34:21 pm »

What are the hints to the monster under the umbrella?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: August 25, 2018, 10:44:04 pm »

Here's an exhaustive link, with the most recent speculation.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?563198-MitD-XI-A-good-man

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: August 26, 2018, 07:47:36 am »

Caution I would avoid actually reading the guesses in the thread cause they’re nauseatingly exhaustive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: August 29, 2018, 07:10:49 pm »

Wooooo, 1138!

Caution I would avoid actually reading the guesses in the thread cause they’re nauseatingly exhaustive
Heh, yeah "nauseatingly exhaustive" is a good summary.  Most of the guesses were things I'd never heard of.  It's not something accessible like a mere captured angel, unless it's some very obscure type.  I think they didn't rule out slaad?  It's a very difficult question due to the sheer size of the DND's accumulated bestiary.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: August 29, 2018, 07:25:39 pm »

I read that as salad and was wholly unsurprised.
Black lives matter.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: August 29, 2018, 07:26:28 pm »

I’ll be honest, I dread finding out what the MiTD is more than the inevitable end of the comic. I like them being a big spooky thing of unknown immense power with a good heart that we never get to see, but I’m aware that if we didn’t get to see the monster mr Burlew might have to go on the run from the denizens of his Playground who’ve been waiting years and years and years

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: August 29, 2018, 07:47:56 pm »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:18:01 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: August 29, 2018, 08:22:58 pm »

Going all meta there, though I bet it's going to be essential to understanding the snarl in some way.

Also, the mention of 'being a great place to stash stuff you don't want others to find', I assume he is talking about more than just Xykon's fortress in the Astral Plane?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: August 29, 2018, 08:31:17 pm »

Going all meta there, though I bet it's going to be essential to understanding the snarl in some way.

Also, the mention of 'being a great place to stash stuff you don't want others to find', I assume he is talking about more than just Xykon's fortress in the Astral Plane?
Maybe.  I think the Astral Plane, at least as Thor is describing it, is contained within the outer planes (the afterlives), connecting the outer planes to the Prime Material and presumably the elemental planes of fire and ranch dressing etc.

The Snarl, whatever it is, is cut off from all the planes... yet imprisoned by the Material Plane.  I've always considered it a Far Realms thing because of that.  "Outside of existence" yet "sealed by existence", with portals that don't follow the rules of "normal" planar travel.

It's both beyond yet inside, and other fun paradoxes I'm sure.

@ChairmanPoo
I *love* that pokeman meme but shhh it's fine.  My link was easy to miss, as evidenced by the fact that at least one person missed it (;
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 311