Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 311

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 483852 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #3480 on: January 01, 2019, 04:03:37 pm »

I reiterate my theory that the Snarl does not and can not kill anything, it absorbs them into itself. Including a certain lost pantheon...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: January 02, 2019, 01:05:02 am »

The gods not knowing what the deal with the Rift Planet is is... probbably not a good sign, since I guess it means either that the planet is a snarl-made fake (Indicating its smarter than we've been led to believe), or that the gods have missed some very important developments in the stop-the-godkilling-abomination-from-killing-everyone protocol

Especially when you consider how much time they have spent. The current iteration is between 1 and 2 thousand years old, up from 4 years for the second iteration, and then there’s the cooldown period. Thor doesn’t say how long, but it must be a significantly long period of time. That all adds up, which means that they’ve had anywhere from tens of millions of years to a few billion to have chance observations of whatever the planet is.

This could mean two things, one being that they weren’t even bothering to try to learn more about the Snarl (or they gave up trying at some point), or two, the rift planet is new, possibly with this iteration.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: January 09, 2019, 10:41:00 am »

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: January 09, 2019, 11:15:45 am »

Wait wait wait... is this character development? For Belkar? I can’t tell, but I think it might be fucking character development.
The one thing no-one theorized would happen.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: January 09, 2019, 11:38:56 am »

That one seemed to come up pretty quick, quicker than usual for Rich Burlew, especially since the previous was basically a two-pager. Though I suppose it might have been made quicker by the fact that half of the panels are near identical scenes of them walking with only changes to the head and arms. I doubt Rich Burlew does a huge amount of copying and pasting (aside from maybe basic elements and body parts), but if he didn't do much copying and pasting, I can't tell the difference.

Also, if Helgya is rich as heck now, as she claims three pages back, how come they didn't resurrect Minrah right away? I notice that they're bringing the body with them.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:49:23 am by smjjames »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: January 09, 2019, 12:05:54 pm »

The charitable explanation is that she doesn't have the necessary spells prepared.

The more likely explanation is that Raising Minrah doesn't contribute to her "inflict wildly disproportionate revenge on anyone that has ever committed any wrong against Hilgya” agenda, and thus she simply won't do it. Chaotic Evil lunatics don't often act out of altruism.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: January 09, 2019, 12:12:29 pm »

Another possible explanation:

Durkon does not have it prepared and Minrah would not accept it from a CE caster.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: January 09, 2019, 05:07:43 pm »

Is she CE and not CN?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: January 09, 2019, 05:21:15 pm »

I was going to opine that she seems CN to me as well.  She seems very interested in Chaos, and only incidentally murder-y.
But fortunately we can dodge alignment debate:  I peeked at the OoTS wiki, and the fact she Turns undead (rather than rebukes) proves that she isn't evil.

And as a reminder, clerics in 3.5 can be "one step away" from their deity's alignment.  The wiki lists Loki as CE, which seems about right.  He can be reasonable and charming at times, yet still be a champion of chaotic selfishness.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: January 09, 2019, 05:34:01 pm »

Loki has always struck me as a CN, both in the original myths and OotS.

And as a reminder, clerics in 3.5 can be "one step away" from their deity's alignment.  The wiki lists Loki as CE, which seems about right.  He can be reasonable and charming at times, yet still be a champion of chaotic selfishness.
Except it's also a rule that if a god is not Neutral, then a cleric cannot be Neutral. So unless Loki is actually Good somehow, she's Neutral and Hilgya, also Neutral, decided when she took her first level in cleric to turn undead/convert spells to Cure Wounds as a Good cleric.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: January 09, 2019, 05:44:47 pm »

Um...  Hm.
I don't have my book handy but the SRD says "A cleric may not be neutral unless his deity’s alignment is also neutral."
I think that's supposed to reference total neutrality, AKA true-neutral or neutral-neutral.  Pure neutrality is a bit odd in 3.5.  It's the default state of most people, the only possible state of EVERY animal, and also this strange fanatic ideal which druids try to uphold (though even they are allowed to be one step away from it).
That's just how my group always read it, anyway.

And based on the wiki, how the GiantITP crowd probably read it...  And have you seen that forum?  They know an absolutely terrifying amount about DND, particularly 3rd edition.  I wouldn't anger them.

Edit:  I mean that the OoTS/GiantITP wiki has Hilgya as definitely CN and Loki as definitely CE.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 05:46:22 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: January 09, 2019, 08:49:51 pm »

The "Evil Clerics cannot turn undead" rule has exceptions in 3.5 proper. As long as the deity in question hates the undead enough, their clerics turn instead of rebuke even when Evil.  That's probably the entire point of the "Loki Hates The Undead" strip shortly after her reappearance.

The Giant conspicuously did not mention Hilgya in his "list of neutral characters"

On screen, Hilgya admitted to attempting to murder her harmless husband (who she was obviously able to simply walk away from, because that's what she did), stated that the only reason she didn't burn down her clan's holding with everybody inside was concern that the smoke would harm the baby's lungs, and that she decided to drive the entire clan into bankruptcy instead. Her stated moral philosophy is "as long as I hurt you more than you hurt me, I win."

Exactly what needs to be added to that before the "She is Evil" flag shows up?

Also, the OOtS wiki I'm looking at states "Alignment Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Evil" for Hilgya. Consensus on the forums (except for one individual who's decided that she's an automatically-always-right saint) is CE.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 08:53:04 pm by Lord Shonus »
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: January 09, 2019, 11:46:27 pm »

I love the idea of an evil god who abhors undead (Orcus comes to mind) but I don't see how that article on Kelemvor supports your point.

I do agree that she is murder-y for a neutral character on the good/evil spectrum, but that's in my personal opinion and I don't want to start an alignment debate.

I guess I'll protest that it wasn't obviously easy to walk away from her arranged marriage, even though she managed to do so.  The dwarven culture seems very opposed to such an exit, which makes her chaotic background... less random than some chaotic PCs.
She/they

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: January 10, 2019, 12:20:21 am »

I missed that the article doesn't contain the key text "Clerics of Kelemvor never rebuke or command undead".

This can be interpreted in two ways, but the one that most people on GiTP (who actually know about this fairly obscure FR god) take as RAI is:

Kelemvor is a Neutral god on the Good-Evil axis. Normally, such a god grants Turn Undead to his Good clerics, Rebuke Undead to his Evil Clerics, and Cleric's Choice to his Neutral Clerics. Because Kelemvor hates the undead, he grants Turn Undead to his Good clerics, Turn Undead to his Evil Clerics, and Turn Undead to his Neutral Clerics.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: January 21, 2019, 08:14:32 pm »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 311