Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 311

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 482646 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #3570 on: March 02, 2019, 10:48:02 am »

Neat.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: March 03, 2019, 01:53:00 am »

Mwahahahaha. Finaly a use for the Bag of Tricks. There is nothing stopping you from summoning creatures or using magic items to do so, then giving the creature verbal commands to attack. And the Vampires will not be able to heal themselves with Cause Wounds, as that would petrify the healer.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: March 03, 2019, 10:21:20 am »

Don't they have their own automatic regeneration? Obviously it'd be slower/less powerful than vampDurkon's, but they'd still have it. I suppose it could be done with an absolute horde or Roy manages to summon a rhino or something so that it overcomes the regeneratoon.

Or is the regen only something higher level vampires have?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: March 03, 2019, 10:24:04 am »

Didn't the bag of animals finally run out in that last fight?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: March 03, 2019, 12:27:23 pm »

Checking...

Check complete.
It ran out just before Roy died. But he summoned a badger, a beaver and a rat when Hylgia summoned her chaos giraffes.

Checking on the D&D 3.5 SRD gave me data about bags of tricks.
The important part is, only up to 10 creatures can be drawn in a week and only 1 creature and be drawn at one time.

Seeing how in the 1117 panel, there are 3 creatures from the bag, I guess it is modified. But that is the last use so far. There may still be some creatures left in it.

Seeing the giraffes gave me another idea.
Of course, Hylgia could summon things to attack the vampires directly, dismissing them when they petrify.
Or, she could summon something that deals area damage (A fire elemental) and order it to stand next to a vampire.
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: March 03, 2019, 12:30:25 pm »

Hylgia and Durkon could also take alternating turns casting high-level attack spells on vampires and then Greater Restoration on one another.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: March 03, 2019, 12:45:02 pm »

Then I checked cleric spells and found a bunch of things that the 2 dwarven clerics could do to mess with the vampires without getting petrified.

This is all assuming they can cast lv 7 cleric spells, since they both cast ressurection.

1) Bless several cauldrons of water, then pour it on the floor in the chamber.
2) Silence the chamber. You can not give verbal commands if you are silenced.
3) Shape stone under them, placing them into a trench, then continue shaping stone and seal them in there.
4) Put them into tiny cuboids using Wall of Stone.

Ninjad
Metal Slime Hunter, they would get petrified the moment they would cast a spell on a creature.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: March 03, 2019, 12:48:34 pm »

Hylgia and Durkon could also take alternating turns casting high-level attack spells on vampires and then Greater Restoration on one another.
"But they do explicitly forbid attacking or using any spell or supernatural ability on any creature during a council meeting."
Consent doesn't matter, which removes any chance that Dispel Magic would be considered okay.  They can't even cast spells on themselves!

Oh ninja'd
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: March 03, 2019, 12:56:03 pm »

Then I checked cleric spells and found a bunch of things that the 2 dwarven clerics could do to mess with the vampires without getting petrified.

This is all assuming they can cast lv 7 cleric spells, since they both cast ressurection.

1) Bless several cauldrons of water, then pour it on the floor in the chamber.
2) Silence the chamber. You can not give verbal commands if you are silenced.
3) Shape stone under them, placing them into a trench, then continue shaping stone and seal them in there.
4) Put them into tiny cuboids using Wall of Stone.

Ninjad
Metal Slime Hunter, they would get petrified the moment they would cast a spell on a creature.
These are quite clever, and *could* work, but I don't think it's given.  Silence doesn't target any creatures, but they do get will saves - it seems like it might count as using a spell on everyone in the room.

Blessing the holy water would be fine, the spell is only cast on the water, but pouring it such that it flows on the vampires seems potentially attack-y.

Entombing them in stone seems pretty solid, though!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: March 03, 2019, 01:17:59 pm »

I think anything *could* work. The issue is we've not been told an exhaustive list of disallowed actions, only a single one, casting spells directly on people. The reality is dwarven law probably has a bunch of other provisions as well. Well, given the pedantry of dwarves in this setting thus far, I'd expect dwarven law has many many many more actions that aren't allowed, likely including everything except the single rules lawyery out that the main characters are going to use, if indeed this situation is resolved in such a fashion. Which makes it hard to guess what the loop hole will be.

But destroying and deforming property with magical abilities wouldn't be my guess for an action that isn't against the law. Although it's totally possible that that turns out to be the exception.

The fact that dwarven undead are an exception to the only dwarf rule already seems like a somewhat glaring flaw in the design of this system, unless it was specifically put in to allow good undead to continue to govern. I mean, presumably Duergar aren't allowed, and in D&D terms I'd call them closer to a dwarf then a vampire dwarf. So maybe the designers of this whole thing were a lot less pedantic then I would expect from dwarves making secure their highest functions of government. Maybe the same dwarves who built Dorukan dungeon built this place.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 01:21:05 pm by Criptfeind »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: March 03, 2019, 01:57:19 pm »

I think that the Church Of The Sudden Skylight folks over on GITP have the best prediction (that Durkon will use his new hammer to smash a hole in the ceiling and let the sun dust the vamps) that I have seen so far. This chamber is explicitly near the surface, and it would be an appropriate callback to Durkon's father.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: March 03, 2019, 05:59:11 pm »

Blessing the holy water would be fine, the spell is only cast on the water, but pouring it such that it flows on the vampires seems potentially attack-y.

Going to agree there that it would be considered an attack, given the SRD mentions that a flask of holy water can be used as a splash weapon(ranged touch attack); you're effectively doing that only with a larger flask.

The Church of the Sudden Skylight seems to be the most likely option at this point. Fits into the narrative and it's got the best name as well.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: March 03, 2019, 10:46:48 pm »

I think that the Church Of The Sudden Skylight folks over on GITP have the best prediction (that Durkon will use his new hammer to smash a hole in the ceiling and let the sun dust the vamps) that I have seen so far. This chamber is explicitly near the surface, and it would be an appropriate callback to Durkon's father.

"Aboot time fer some destruction.", as well.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: March 04, 2019, 08:15:03 am »

I feel like he'd get petrified for that admittedly. After all, the petrification is for violating dwarf laws, not the actual spell casting. And I cant imagine that vandalising the council chamber wouldnt be against some law somewhere
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: March 04, 2019, 08:16:57 am »

It's Thor's Hammer right? Can't he throw it and have it boomerang back to him for some long range smiting?
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 311