Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 311

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 477840 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #3780 on: September 30, 2019, 09:32:14 pm »

I derped a moment and thought that Earth was water-impeded, when of course it's air-impeded.  Which is also interesting.  "Spells and spell-like abilities that use or create air" are impeded - that may or may not be an additional problem if one find's oneself entombed.

I'm not aware of spells meant to create breathable air, though.  My group's 3.5 go-to in suffocation conditions (such as bags of holding, or low orbit) was Create Water and Waterbreathing, which are both water-subtype.

Does raise the question of how these caverns remain breathable over time, though.  Oxygen is the result of photosynthesis, which means flora which are taking in light somehow.  An additional ecological rung of nuclear fungi which steadily convert the literally limitless amounts of raw matter into light?  Would even explain the caverns.

Impeded magic can still succeed, just with a Spellcraft check of DC 20+level.

One could also perhaps imagine biological pathways to create oxygen that don't require light. Not sure if theres any known pathways like that, but theres certainly non-organic (or non-biological for that matter) chemical routes. I'd figure that some (most?) of the denziens of the plane of Earth are silicon based or something, so....

Also, you (and sergius and darkmere) mention pockets of air and water, but not fire, I can't imagine there not being pockets of fire (or at least molten rock) in there somewhere. Speaking of, the plane of Water would have pockets of Fire too, but they'd likely take the form of underwater volcanoes, black smokers and other hydrothermal features.
Large balls of permanently boiling water (or steam) perhaps?
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: October 04, 2019, 03:03:18 am »

Also, you (and sergius and darkmere) mention pockets of air and water, but not fire, I can't imagine there not being pockets of fire (or at least molten rock) in there somewhere. Speaking of, the plane of Water would have pockets of Fire too, but they'd likely take the form of underwater volcanoes, black smokers and other hydrothermal features.

The City of Brass on the plane of fire sits on rock, so it makes sense that there's some fire pockets in earth. The planes are more metaphysical concepts than pure, unbroken expanses of <element>. That said, what I've read most recently is 5e, not... whatever 2.5-3? homebrew OotS takes place in, so make of it what you will. That said, clever sapients have managed to carve out existences almost everywhere less hostile than the World Tomb, so it seems reasonable for subterranean dwarfs to be adept at surviving there.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: October 04, 2019, 07:55:26 am »

Still, wouldn't one of the heavens be a better haven?
There's a big difference between can survive there, and is pleasant to be there, after all.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: October 04, 2019, 09:33:12 am »

She's not Good though.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: October 04, 2019, 10:09:08 am »

Aren't there 'heavens' for neutral alignment afterlives? 'Heaven' in this case is just a catchall for non-evil afterlives.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: October 04, 2019, 10:16:48 am »

.... She's neutral?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: October 04, 2019, 10:19:48 am »

Not sure, to be honest.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: October 04, 2019, 10:54:03 am »

It's possible that the Snarl is more a danger to the outer planes than the inner planes. I think the outer planes are also very crowded with whatever lifeforms they have, even the nice ones are probably going to pester you to no end. The biggest threat in the plane of Earth is dying of starvation - even the native fauna there is pretty sparse and more likely to ignore you.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: October 04, 2019, 10:55:52 am »

Interesting. Hylgia is a cleric of Loki. Loki is listed on OotS wiki as CE.
A cleric must be within one step of their god and she is certainly chaotic, so CE or CN.

I do believe she is CN, not CE though.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: October 04, 2019, 11:03:20 am »

She's not Good though.
Is there a rule that you can't Plane Shift to a heaven if you don't fit that alignment?
I don't think so.
In the NG heaven at least, it's unlikely anyone would bother a mother and her baby.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 03:15:12 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: October 04, 2019, 12:50:24 pm »

Is there a rule that you can't Plane Shift to a heaven if you don't fit that alignment?
I don't think so.
In the NG heaven at least, It's unlikely anyone would bother a mother and her baby.

There was that evil adventuring party that Plane shifted into the heaven while Roy was there (and promptly got annhailated).

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: October 04, 2019, 04:25:08 pm »

Interesting. Hylgia is a cleric of Loki. Loki is listed on OotS wiki as CE.
A cleric must be within one step of their god and she is certainly chaotic, so CE or CN.

I do believe she is CN, not CE though.

It's a bit odd here since Hilgya is certainly capable of Turn Undead, which is a Good-aligned power. The problem is that a Neutral cleric of an Evil god has to take the Evil version of their class powers: Rebuke/Control Undead. It's mentioned that Loki hates undead with a burning passion, which would probably justify the rule deviation. But that doesn't seem to line up with the fact that Loki cares for his daughter Hel, the Northern Pantheon's patron of undead, and clearly would have wanted her to succeed if not for the fact that dealing with the Snarl is a much more important issue and mutually exclusive with Hel's plans.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: October 04, 2019, 04:53:50 pm »

Loki being inconsistent is entirely in-character for him, though, mythology wise.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: October 04, 2019, 04:56:17 pm »

Yeah, he's consistently inconsistent.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: October 04, 2019, 05:11:43 pm »

And yet he says he can't go against millions of people believing he is incapable of honesty when it's inconvenient.

As for the hating undead stuff, that's just his sphere or portfolio and caring for family who just happens to be the death goddess is separate from all that for him.
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 311