Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 311

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 485271 times)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #4020 on: August 19, 2020, 01:38:26 pm »

With a willing or incapacitated person, the best would be a geas.

Command: "Answer all my questions truthfuly and in the way I mean them."
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: August 19, 2020, 04:16:11 pm »

I feel like the strongest argument that Durkon could have brought up is the fact that Redcloak has already won. The many injustices that goblins have suffered and probably will continue to suffer is, ultimately, water under the bridge. Nobody, let alone Durkon, could promise anything better for the goblins than what they've already secured themselves. The demand for equality as well, is pretty much secured, in the divine sense, in the form of the Dark One. Having their own god advocating for them among the pantheon of gods pretty is pretty much as equal as you're ever going to get, regardless of what the political situation among the mortal races is.

What neither party seems to have noticed though, is the fact that goblins were made as a persecuted race for a reason. In order for each god's clerics to have a viable source of experience in order to level up and better serve their god, they made Goblins and other creatures for the express purpose of being Exp fodder. Elevating the Goblin races out of this role just means the gods would have to create another race to serve the same role, but this time with goblins among the Persecuting races, essentially just repeating history. I don't think there's an pacifistic resolution to this problem, or it'd have been pursued already.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: August 19, 2020, 04:35:45 pm »

What neither party seems to have noticed though, is the fact that goblins were made as a persecuted race for a reason. In order for each god's clerics to have a viable source of experience in order to level up and better serve their god, they made Goblins and other creatures for the express purpose of being Exp fodder. Elevating the Goblin races out of this role just means the gods would have to create another race to serve the same role, but this time with goblins among the Persecuting races, essentially just repeating history. I don't think there's an pacifistic resolution to this problem, or it'd have been pursued already.

I'm not sure Redcloak would care. As long as goblins weren't the XP fodder, I suspect he'd be fine with something else filling the role.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: August 24, 2020, 03:50:24 am »

The most obvious solution would be making the fodder races non-sentient monsters of some kind, which would obviously be far less problematic.

It might take some fine tuning to get it all proper and have monsters fill the same location at the frequencies as goblins and while still being about as difficult to kill, but I don't see any fundamental reason it can't be done.

I figure that the real reason they are using sentiments is because... why not?
Having greater variety of for your dudes to kill is good right? And if a few million sentiments die every generation so what? Is it better for them not to live at all? Plus, they get to go to a nifty afterlife after they die (presumably), so does the fact that their life might not be quite so good as that of people from other races really matter that much?

And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: August 24, 2020, 03:59:31 am »

Or they could use the rules for noncombat XP which Book of Exalted Deeds made canonically for 3.5 but were already sorta a thing.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: August 24, 2020, 04:46:27 am »

The most obvious solution would be making the fodder races non-sentient monsters of some kind, which would obviously be far less problematic.

It might take some fine tuning to get it all proper and have monsters fill the same location at the frequencies as goblins and while still being about as difficult to kill, but I don't see any fundamental reason it can't be done.

I figure that the real reason they are using sentiments is because... why not?
Having greater variety of for your dudes to kill is good right? And if a few million sentiments die every generation so what? Is it better for them not to live at all? Plus, they get to go to a nifty afterlife after they die (presumably), so does the fact that their life might not be quite so good as that of people from other races really matter that much?

Also higher level adventurers need more sofisticated villains. Can you imagine if Psykon was just a hungry rampaging bear?
Love, scriver~

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: August 24, 2020, 08:55:39 am »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: August 24, 2020, 02:30:35 pm »

Oona's good, Greyview's great. Maxrah is a ton of fun and extremely good at calling Redcloak out.

Or they could use the rules for noncombat XP which Book of Exalted Deeds made canonically for 3.5 but were already sorta a thing.

Non-combat XP was an explicit part of the 3.5e Dungeon Masters Guide, where it is advised to award experience based on the difficulty using the same concept as CR.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: August 24, 2020, 04:29:51 pm »

Is it canon that goblins are fodder races?
Black lives matter.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: August 24, 2020, 04:35:15 pm »

In before Oona gets the crimson mantle, and becomes the new, much saner high priest of the dark one.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: August 24, 2020, 04:39:52 pm »

That would seem fairly appropriate, but she's not even a cleric.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: August 24, 2020, 05:58:06 pm »

Is it canon that goblins are fodder races?

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: August 24, 2020, 06:30:35 pm »

Damn, that shit sucks!
Black lives matter.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: September 02, 2020, 11:57:15 am »

My mods and forum games.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: September 02, 2020, 12:37:53 pm »

Oona may not be being helpful, but she's still cool.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 311