Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 315471 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #4065 on: December 01, 2020, 05:48:40 am »

But there is no real reason for why the gates should be accesible. The whole point is to guard them from being destroyed. So why not just seal them?

You're forgetting the drama!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: December 01, 2020, 07:04:53 am »

It's also possible that the Gates need some kind of maintenance. I mean, even the gods themselves couldn't really keep the rifts shut, and the Gates are basically just putting duct tape over a spot weld.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: December 01, 2020, 07:28:47 am »

And that is why I am not a bard. Or an evil overlord.

If I was one of those, who were to hide the gate, I would place it in an adamantine sphere, encase that in a lead sphere, then pile a mountain of mostly non-commercial rock. There would be some galena and a small amount of other ores to make it look natural, but not enough to make it a viable mining spot for anything. Then I would have a castle built on top of it and start a city around it. None of the people involved with the castle and city should know that there is something important in the mountain.

The mountain would be created with repeated usage of Wall of Stone.
As a 20th level caster, I could get almost 5,9 m3 per casting. With minimum Intelligence of 15 to cast Wall of stone, I would get 4 of each type or relevant slot, 20 slot total. Filling all possible with Wall of Stone, I could cast it 20 times/day, to build almost 117,9 m3 of stone. If I had any helpers, it could go faster.

I would use galena as the most common ore, so that anyone, who knows there is a gate in the mountain, but not where would be confused if they tried to magicaly search for lead.

It's also possible that the Gates need some kind of maintenance. I mean, even the gods themselves couldn't really keep the rifts shut, and the Gates are basically just putting duct tape over a spot weld.
Possible, though doubtful. The one in the pyramind was in a lead column, while the one in Azure City was in a gem. Both would be pretty hard to get to to maintain. Especialy the one, which was a gem as a part of a throne.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4068 on: December 01, 2020, 08:45:13 am »

Well if the point wasn't just to contain but monitor the rifts, you'd want them to be somewhere accessible-but-protected. If the only time you'd know the seal was failing was if the Snarl was already breaking through Azure-city-sky-hole-style it'd be already too late to easily reseal them. Keeping them in something relatively small or reachable would let them at least peak their head in every now and then to check in on the world ending abomination.

Also something something plot.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4069 on: December 01, 2020, 05:42:29 pm »

I certainly hope that's dust of disappearance his showering the ground with there and not just sand
I love the water. I hate the sand. It's coarse and it's rough and it gets everywhere

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • crush em all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: December 01, 2020, 06:15:49 pm »

And that is why I am not a bard. Or an evil overlord.

If I was one of those, who were to hide the gate, I would place it in an adamantine sphere, encase that in a lead sphere, then pile a mountain of mostly non-commercial rock.

If you were a bard, you'd know that the thing would be found regardless.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: December 04, 2020, 01:07:39 pm »

Blackwing is great
They/them
Black lives matter.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: December 04, 2020, 01:28:48 pm »

As is Oona.

Speaking of which, does Oona not get a breath cloud because of the mask/headdress? Or are they some sort of undead bugbear ranger?

Heh... On that note, I went back to 1189 to see if the mysterious abductors were showing breath clouds or not, and it turns out that nobody is. So much for cluehunting on that front :P

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: December 04, 2020, 05:26:20 pm »

Aw, I thought that AOE silence cast on the dog was going to be more consequential, in possibly screwing up Redcloak's casting right as they run into that dungeon's monsters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • crush em all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: December 04, 2020, 05:27:21 pm »

You can just imagine that happening offscreen, if you like. :P

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: December 20, 2020, 12:26:43 pm »

Trap being a gateway to alternate dungeons confirmed?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: December 20, 2020, 01:10:17 pm »

Puzzle dungeons! I hate them!
Love, scriver~

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: December 20, 2020, 06:53:17 pm »

WONNNH!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: December 21, 2020, 06:04:09 am »

So...

Either the "WONNNNH" doesn't actually make any noise, or the baddies have been entering every dungeon, triggering that noise when they cross the threshold, and then going "Nah, that's normal".

Also, none of the trackers noticed the very neatly sliced half of a scorchmark that should be showing up for them.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: December 21, 2020, 08:44:13 am »

Oops, they didn't load up the same dungeon instance.
One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274