Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 311

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 483667 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #4125 on: January 19, 2021, 01:09:08 pm »

My interpretation is that clerics are fairly beholden to their god or patron force or whatever, while paladins get their power from within. Basically sorcerers who channel their power using their Vow, which can be whatever that person really believes in. And if they break it, it all sort of snaps and breaks, making them an ex-paladin. Whereas with a cleric (or a warlock) has to do what their god says because if said god is upset they can just withhold spells.

Though I guess Rich probably disagrees with my interpretation of paladins, given what happened to Miko. Which is fine, his world doesn't have to work the same way as my weird DnD headcanon which is semi-intentionally different from any sane reading of the source material~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: January 19, 2021, 02:14:26 pm »

That seems like a reasonable interpretation.  5e really emphasizes the vow as an internal source of power, and the impression I get from 3.5 paladins is that their power comes from the lawful-good plane rather than a specific deity.  I kinda like the idea that it's an internal power, but then there's stuff like Ravenloft/antimagic/broken vow where they get cut off from it (though those are arguable).  I think that kind of internal power is more a monk thing.

But Miko's powers seem to come from, or at least be under the jurisdiction of, the 12 Gods.  They seem to visually step in, and Soon basically confirms that.  I guess that gets into some weird theo-philosophy about what control deities have over the alignment planes they rule over.  Particularly in this world's complicated pantheon of non-interference pacts.  In typical DND settings I'd speculate that the plane is just an extension of the will of the deities ruling it, so maybe a paladin who manages to *accidentally* wrong enough of those deities could find their powers put on hold.  This setting's creation story is pretty unusual so who knows.

This is another low-sleep ramble.  I played a lot more 3.5 clerics instead of paladins.  They always had a god even though clerics are totally allowed to just channel alignment planes and pick their domains, heh.  But when my second cleric got permanently brainscrambled by some alienist things (long story), he became a pretty dangerous DM-run antagonist because he was now channeling *the far realm*, hehe.  We had fun setting that up.

...Hehe, I just remembered I sorta pulled an Elan/Nale with my first two characters.  My first character was a druid who turned into a horse sometimes.  My second character was a true-neutral cleric worshiping Obad-Hai the forest god, always used elemental and healing spells, happened to be a satyr, and deeply resented the first character who he was "totally different" from.

Just reminds me of Nale taking that crazy multiclass rather than being a bard
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: January 19, 2021, 02:33:42 pm »

That one reminds me that one of my setting ideas basically involved every proper cleric necessarily being a follower of incomprehensible and extremely hazardous beings from far beyond the world, because those are the only "proper" gods.

That idea I've gotten less attached to in favor of having an uncountable number of gods with very specific domains who can also act as guardian spirits for specific places. All descended from the three great goddesses, of course.

Tinkering with DnD cosmology is actually pretty fun, I guess? :v

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: January 19, 2021, 02:34:34 pm »

Y'all made me go dig through the Oglaf archive again to find that strip with the paladin who vows to fight against seagull inequality.

Always a relevant Oglaf...

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: January 19, 2021, 05:58:06 pm »

It's like XKCD, if you look long enough there is a good chance that you'll find something relevant. Although there is also a 50% chance that there will be a dong in it.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: January 19, 2021, 07:15:10 pm »

It's like XKCD, if you look long enough there is a good chance that you'll find something relevant. Although there is also a 50% chance that there will be a dong in it.

XKCD for stick figures, Oglaf for dick figures

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: January 20, 2021, 02:34:07 am »

XKCD for stick figures, Oglaf for dick figures
One thing that's always true between the two: rarely will you see anyone wearing actual clothes.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: January 22, 2021, 11:52:27 am »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: January 22, 2021, 01:21:49 pm »

Blackwing never disappoints.

How many hp would a bird familiar have? 1?
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: January 22, 2021, 01:46:33 pm »

Half as many as V, rounded down.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: January 22, 2021, 01:56:34 pm »

Well then you're just a coward, blackwing

You disgust me
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: January 22, 2021, 02:07:21 pm »

So 1, then?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: January 22, 2021, 03:07:06 pm »

So 1, then?
*I :P

Hm, familiars do have some protections.  Considerable natural armor on top of an already good touch-AC from being a tiny (I think) creature.  Saving throws benefiting from V's class levels, plus attribute modifiers (so a good reflex save from dex).  Perhaps most impressively, spell resistance of V's level +5!  I don't remember what everyone's levels have been estimated at, but Xykon would probably blow through that... but it's a nice bonus.

Wizard fortitude saves aren't great, but Xykon seems to like evocation so maybe Blackwing would get to show off with a fancy reflex save before Redcloak casts a save-or-die.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: January 22, 2021, 03:20:27 pm »

So 1, then?
*I :P

Hm, familiars do have some protections.  Considerable natural armor on top of an already good touch-AC from being a tiny (I think) creature.  Saving throws benefiting from V's class levels, plus attribute modifiers (so a good reflex save from dex).  Perhaps most impressively, spell resistance of V's level +5!  I don't remember what everyone's levels have been estimated at, but Xykon would probably blow through that... but it's a nice bonus.

Wizard fortitude saves aren't great, but Xykon seems to like evocation so maybe Blackwing would get to show off with a fancy reflex save before Redcloak casts a save-or-die.
If memory serves a Wizard's only good saving throw is will, reflex is also bad.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: January 22, 2021, 03:26:50 pm »

True, but ravens are pretty dexterous. Might be less significant than V's class levels though.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 311