Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 311

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 485351 times)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #4470 on: October 02, 2022, 12:57:21 am »

I am surprised she even has 3 chairs. Perhaps for different rooms?
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: October 02, 2022, 01:58:06 pm »

Probably. She's old, she wouldn't want to have to drag a chair from room to room.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: November 12, 2022, 11:31:36 am »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: November 12, 2022, 04:13:46 pm »

So that beholder floating eye monster in strip #32 was Sunny after all.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: November 13, 2022, 08:25:31 am »

She's got pink eye since then

Has to be a big issue for beholders
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: November 13, 2022, 08:34:43 am »

Heh! (it's a contact lens to block the anti-magic gaze unless I'm totally misremembering)
Also I assumed Sunny was male but the wiki indicates no gender has been revealed yet, neat!

Anyway I love a good callback like this, I had completely forgotten about #32.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: November 13, 2022, 10:40:14 am »

Beholders reproduce asexually. Sunny probably has even less gender than V.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: November 15, 2022, 04:54:35 pm »

V's gender is "Divorced Parent"
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: November 15, 2022, 04:55:53 pm »

The Giant has used the term "genderqueer" to describe V.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: November 15, 2022, 05:38:18 pm »

She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: November 15, 2022, 06:44:03 pm »

The Giant has used the term "genderqueer" to describe V.

The problem I have with a declaration like that is that words like genderqueer hadn’t even entered the popular consciousness back when Order of the Stick was first being written in 2003.

Rich didn’t imagine V being that type of person back then and didn’t write them as such either. It’s just a clumsy retcon meant to capitalize on current trends, and it shows!

Objectively speaking based on what’s written in the text, V is an elf who presents in such a way that people struggle to assign them a gender. This is played entirely as a joke about how elves are effeminate. When people ask V directly about what gender they are (ie. what pronouns they would like to use), V gives evasive answers. Again as a continuation of the joke.

What’s clear from these interactions is that V does not want to identify as any gender! Such a description is a closer match to someone who sees themselves as androgynous rather than someone who changes what gender they identify as based on their whims, which is what genderqueer actually is!

Because Rich doesn’t understand the people he’s trying to pander to, it limits the amount of depth he can give V as a non-binary character. His attempt to pivot V’s gender from a joke about girly elves to a strong genderqueer icon only ends up being surface level, and a disappointment to any queer reader who may have been drawn in by Rich’s bold declarations.

In a world where people like J.K Rowling exist, the best way to analyze a character remains through “Death of the Author”. V is still a good character (nothing wrong with being a divorced parent), but if Rich wants those progressive brownie points, he’s got to let his writing speak for itself.

So how’d I do Rolan7? Is there anything you think I missed? You’d know more about this topic than I would.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: November 15, 2022, 07:03:12 pm »

The problem I have with a declaration like that is that words like genderqueer hadn’t even entered the popular consciousness back when Order of the Stick was first being written in 2003.

Rich didn’t imagine V being that type of person back then and didn’t write them as such either. It’s just a clumsy retcon meant to capitalize on current trends, and it shows!

Objectively speaking based on what’s written in the text, V is an elf who presents in such a way that people struggle to assign them a gender. This is played entirely as a joke about how elves are effeminate. When people ask V directly about what gender they are (ie. what pronouns they would like to use), V gives evasive answers. Again as a continuation of the joke.
Yes!  Though I don't think V evades, I think they use narrative convenience to avoid answering a question they don't even see.  There are indications that they think their gender is obvious, and they refuse to state it.  And I love that.
Technically they wouldn't even be NB, but technically genderqueer from a non-elf perspective.
Probably male or female!
(or maybe NB)
What’s clear from these interactions is that V does not want to identify as any gender! Such a description is a closer match to someone who sees themselves as androgynous rather than someone who changes what gender they identify as based on their whims, which is what genderqueer actually is!
Yeah, ninehells yeah!
Because Rich doesn’t understand the people he’s trying to pander to, it limits the amount of depth he can give V as a non-binary character. His attempt to pivot V’s gender from a joke about girly elves to a strong genderqueer icon only ends up being surface level, and a disappointment to any queer reader who may have been drawn in by Rich’s bold declarations.
Oh, this came up very strongly in a certain thread.  It was... interesting.  That was Rich's conclusion though, yes, and I fully agree with his take.  It was respectful.
He didn't want to introduce token trans characters for fear of mismanaging them.  That's unfortunate but I get it.  I myself would trust him to do it, to the extent that I projected trans-NB into V (and so did many other readers).  But I personally respect his decision not to try to write trans characters.
WHILE WRITING TRANS CHARACTERS
V and the lady dwarf cleric are potential characters we can enjoy, and there is nothing at all objectionable about them.  They can be interpreted other ways, but it's still nice.
In a world where people like J.K Rowling exist, the best way to analyze a character remains through “Death of the Author”. V is still a good character (nothing wrong with being a divorced parent), but if Rich wants those progressive brownie points, he’s got to let his writing speak for itself.
</3

So how’d I do Rolan7? Is there anything you think I missed? You’d know more about this topic than I would.
wait what the fck
She/they

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: November 15, 2022, 07:22:41 pm »

Yeah, ninehells yeah!
Well no, to be clear:  I think V is gender-ambiguous, whereas I am solidly defying gender (when I'm not actively performing it, male or female depending- it gets complicated)

My theory is that V has a gender, and is confused every time people don't see it.  Hence me saying they're probably male or female.  But elves defy the human preconceptions of gender, appearing androgynous.
She/they

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: November 15, 2022, 08:38:29 pm »

My interpretation is that V is typical of their culture and that said culture has one real gender. Or probably a more complicated system which we're not really privy to because it's not part of our story and our perspective is intentionally more on the in universe human cultures.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: November 15, 2022, 11:27:37 pm »

wait what the fck

While I was writing my post, I noticed you had recently posted in the thread so I thought I'd ask an NB person to check my homework.

And it seems like I was right to ask. You bring good evidence for the fact that Varsuvius is not Androgynous.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 11:30:42 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 311