Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 311

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 489064 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Order of the Stick: 996 Silencing Descent
« Reply #1320 on: August 06, 2015, 06:30:26 pm »

Except Roy, V, and probably some other party members.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: August 06, 2015, 06:40:23 pm »

Except Roy, V, and probably some other party members.

And Rich Burlew.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: August 06, 2015, 06:52:28 pm »

The prophecy specified that it would be his last breath, ever.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: August 06, 2015, 06:52:36 pm »

Although yeah, Belkar may die, but theres nothing in the prophecy that says that he can or can't be resurrected. After all, Roy did.

Belkar will draw his last breath-ever-before the end of the year.

That pretty explicitly rules out resurrection. Being undead is still in, which is why everyone thought Malack was going to make him into a vampire.

EDIT: Wow, ninja'd. Bluh.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: August 06, 2015, 07:25:28 pm »

Hmm, this would be a rather anticlimactic death for Belkar (who is prophesied to die fairly soon, remember).

We might have another strip like this one, this time with Belkar. Or maybe not.

Is Durkula planning to go full murderhobo on everything?

I've been wondering about that. There was basically no reason to kill the Exarch guy other then general dickery.
I'm starting to wonder if this isn't just an opportunistic target to turn the non-theistic clerics into a small army.  Durkula turns one person, they both turn two people, and it quickly goes exponential.  Hel goes from absolutely no high-level clerics to having a small army's worth, and one that no one immediately knows about.  Even if some of the newly-turned vampires get a little over-zealous with their drinking and actually kill their targets, it still comes out to a net benefit for Hel.  We just didn't go back to the Exarch's revival because Durkula ran off after Belkar, and hasn't returned yet.  There's still the Godsmoot itself, though, and any significance it has that would call for bringing all these high-level casters to one place.  There's also the problem that a small army of vampires is a lot harder to hide than the machination of a single High Priest of Hel. 

That said, Belkar's completely not going to die yet.  It'd just be too anti-climactic at this point. 

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: August 07, 2015, 08:49:21 am »

Well, normally vampires don't rise until some number of days after burial. Malack had a spell in his staff to do it immediately, and we don't know how much the staff has left.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: August 10, 2015, 02:52:39 pm »

New one.  Hoooooooly shit.

(see what I did there)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: August 10, 2015, 02:59:07 pm »

Oh my.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1328 on: August 10, 2015, 04:13:59 pm »

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: August 10, 2015, 04:36:24 pm »

This must come back to what lies beyond the rift, since just destroying the world would unleash the Snarl if the legend is true, and the gods would obviously know better. Unless by "destroy the world" they mean "kill all intelligent life".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: August 10, 2015, 04:41:06 pm »

This must come back to what lies beyond the rift, since just destroying the world would unleash the Snarl if the legend is true, and the gods would obviously know better. Unless by "destroy the world" they mean "kill all intelligent life".

Unweave the world, weave it round the snarl again. They've weaved it round it while it was loose before, stands to reason they could do it again.

Snarl is trapped, everything is fixed, with the minor issue of everyone being dead, but they're Gods. They can sort up a solution.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: August 10, 2015, 04:49:51 pm »

Back in the Crayons of Time arc, it was explained that the Snarl could be properly imprisoned, but the existing prison (in other words, the world and possibly all of existence save for the gods themselves) would have to be torn down first.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: August 10, 2015, 07:37:22 pm »

Unweave the world, weave it round the snarl again. They've weaved it round it while it was loose before, stands to reason they could do it again.

Snarl is trapped, everything is fixed, with the minor issue of everyone being dead, but they're Gods. They can sort up a solution.
At least, as far as they know.  The issue with the gods' plan is basically that no one knows how the Snarl has changed in its time of imprisonment.  Last time, they succeeded because it had no idea what they were doing; it may well be an act of divinely-supreme hubris (literally so, given who will be recreating the prison) to assume that this would still be the case.  If nothing else, it may no longer be a "being of pure chaos out to unmake reality" (if it ever truly was), because there's another reality on the other side of those rifts that is still presumably intact. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:41:46 pm by Culise »

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick: 997 Plan B
« Reply #1333 on: August 13, 2015, 03:08:35 pm »

We're getting awful close to the big 1000...

Oh and some stuff happened I guess.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick: 998 Three Sides to Every Story
« Reply #1334 on: August 13, 2015, 03:16:23 pm »

I like to imagine the vote is to destroy the world in 999, and it happens in 1000, and that's the end of the comic.

Tarquin would be so mad.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 311