Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 311

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 477834 times)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #4080 on: November 19, 2020, 04:42:04 am »

I certainly hope that's dust of disappearance his showering the ground with there and not just sand
What if it is cat poop? And at the end of the trail, there will be a stash of broken rotten eggs.

First to distract the dog, then to damage its nose.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: November 27, 2020, 07:48:42 pm »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: November 27, 2020, 08:30:28 pm »

Sure looks like a portal bamboozle to me.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: November 27, 2020, 08:36:35 pm »

Mmnaaaah, I'm sure the floor changing color is completely meaningless  ;)

(I didn't recognize it as a portal effect, but I think you're right!)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: November 28, 2020, 05:16:11 am »

Portal bamboozle?

Also did they just leave the bird behind. How rude.
Love, scriver~

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: November 28, 2020, 05:42:05 am »

The stealth dinosaur can care for itself, no worries.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: November 30, 2020, 07:17:23 am »

I'm curious about the portal bamboozling, since the rat skull is still halfway over the line with no evident pieces missing or changes (except for the scorch mark and steam, apparently WONNNNH is hot).

And if the insides are shuffling themselves around every time someone enters, wouldn't that mean that it effectively doesn't matter which door you go into, if it's going to randomize the content anyways? Which would mean that all the X-ing of the doors is meaningless.

But... It can't be just shuffling the dungeon contents, because the gate cannot be moved.

Maybe they're all red herrings, and the portal trap just opens up into a newly-created elemental demiplane of dungeoneering, while the real dungeon lies underneath/behind the portal they're crossing over?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: November 30, 2020, 08:55:12 am »

The high-stakes kansas city shuffle. None of the doors lead to the gate. Which should have been obvious from how close they are to each other. They have to lead into the same place.
However, the dungeon can't be generated anew every time the line is crossed. It would split parties and when someone reenters the same dungeon, they notice it is different.

If I was going to do this, I would not bet most of my security on a single spell. Sure, I can't move the gate, but I can hide it.
I would make the walls of the real dungeon look like rock, but when someone tries to dig through, it turns out to be only lining iron and a thin sheet of lead. Layered Rock|Iron|Lead|Iron|Rock. So no easy digging or scrying through it.
The gate would not be in the dungeon, however. It would be sealed into a random blind spot of the dungeon wall. Reasonably far from the entryway, so that it is not at the first place adventurers try to dig, but not next to the final chamber.
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: November 30, 2020, 03:53:36 pm »

All the other gate fortresses had some way for one to access the gate, so it just being buried seems unlikely.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: December 01, 2020, 02:40:16 am »

Is there any reason why it can't be that an entire alternate set of dungeons were dug out, one per "doorway" / "hole in the wall" and set up such that each would send trespassers to its individual dungeon by portal or whatever, with ALL the holes and dungeons leading to nowhere near the gate even if you remove the trap sending you to the dungeon, however were you to go to the entrance portal and disarm the trap portal from "inside", and then walk to where no one would bother to search, ALL the portal'd off dungeons lead to the gate.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: December 01, 2020, 04:25:30 am »

There is a reason for why there can't be a large set of dungeons in regular space. There is just too many doors on a too small a surface for them all to lead to separate dungeons. In fact, forshadowing: Roy notes the very same thing in strip 1203.

However, it is entirely possible that the second part of crazyabe's post is true.

About other fortresses having the gate accesible, I remember that in the Pyramid, it was sealed in a lead column. Accesible but hidden. But there is no real reason for why the gates should be accesible. The whole point is to guard them from being destroyed. So why not just seal them?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: December 01, 2020, 05:48:40 am »

But there is no real reason for why the gates should be accesible. The whole point is to guard them from being destroyed. So why not just seal them?

You're forgetting the drama!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: December 01, 2020, 07:04:53 am »

It's also possible that the Gates need some kind of maintenance. I mean, even the gods themselves couldn't really keep the rifts shut, and the Gates are basically just putting duct tape over a spot weld.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: December 01, 2020, 07:28:47 am »

And that is why I am not a bard. Or an evil overlord.

If I was one of those, who were to hide the gate, I would place it in an adamantine sphere, encase that in a lead sphere, then pile a mountain of mostly non-commercial rock. There would be some galena and a small amount of other ores to make it look natural, but not enough to make it a viable mining spot for anything. Then I would have a castle built on top of it and start a city around it. None of the people involved with the castle and city should know that there is something important in the mountain.

The mountain would be created with repeated usage of Wall of Stone.
As a 20th level caster, I could get almost 5,9 m3 per casting. With minimum Intelligence of 15 to cast Wall of stone, I would get 4 of each type or relevant slot, 20 slot total. Filling all possible with Wall of Stone, I could cast it 20 times/day, to build almost 117,9 m3 of stone. If I had any helpers, it could go faster.

I would use galena as the most common ore, so that anyone, who knows there is a gate in the mountain, but not where would be confused if they tried to magicaly search for lead.

It's also possible that the Gates need some kind of maintenance. I mean, even the gods themselves couldn't really keep the rifts shut, and the Gates are basically just putting duct tape over a spot weld.
Possible, though doubtful. The one in the pyramind was in a lead column, while the one in Azure City was in a gem. Both would be pretty hard to get to to maintain. Especialy the one, which was a gem as a part of a throne.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4094 on: December 01, 2020, 08:45:13 am »

Well if the point wasn't just to contain but monitor the rifts, you'd want them to be somewhere accessible-but-protected. If the only time you'd know the seal was failing was if the Snarl was already breaking through Azure-city-sky-hole-style it'd be already too late to easily reseal them. Keeping them in something relatively small or reachable would let them at least peak their head in every now and then to check in on the world ending abomination.

Also something something plot.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 311