Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 311

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 477885 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #4395 on: April 02, 2022, 09:25:48 pm »

Not misleading, they're just not guranteed to be correct because they're somebody telling the story. So you only get that limited POV instead of the usual omniscient narrator.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #4396 on: April 26, 2022, 01:33:56 pm »

We finally learn what Sunny's most powerful eye-ray is!!!1!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: April 27, 2022, 02:53:00 am »

Why would Sironi think negotiating with Xykon or giving him what he wants would be easier for the gods than scrapping the world? (Though really, Redcloak is the mastermind here, not Xykon.)

Giving Redcloak what he wants would involve changing the worldview of all the sentient races (including goblinoids). That's not something that can be done overnight. Not even by gods.
Sure, the various priesthoods could issue commandments that goblinoids are now considered people rather than monsters. But they'd still be in for decades or centuries of racism.

Scrapping the world, on the other hand, is easy. You just take out the godly scissors and cut it up. (It is, apparently, made of yarn).
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: April 27, 2022, 04:15:03 am »

Probably because she thinks that the gods can just edit the world willy-nilly. They can't, they specifically prevent themselves from doing so, though Durkon might be the only mortal aware of that fact.

Consider a game developer's point of view: if there's something wrong with the program, should you patch it, or just dump the project and start all over again? Except in the gods' case, they write-lock the hard drive the game is installed on and the only way to publish an update patch is to buy a new drive.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: April 27, 2022, 04:31:18 am »

By the very fact that the gates need to be guarded by mortals, it should be obvious the gods can't edit the world as they wish.

If they could, they could just put a huge mountains without cave systems and with slightly below-average ore content (most of which would be galena) on them and make everybody forget the mountains were not there a month ago.

From dev's point of view: The issue is not really patching the program. The program is currently running, and if it crashes, the computer explodes. If the dev turns it off manually, they will be fine, but all unsaved progress will be lost.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: April 27, 2022, 07:23:32 am »

By the very fact that the gates need to be guarded by mortals, it should be obvious the gods can't edit the world as they wish.

If they could, they could just put a huge mountains without cave systems and with slightly below-average ore content (most of which would be galena) on them and make everybody forget the mountains were not there a month ago.

From dev's point of view: The issue is not really patching the program. The program is currently running, and if it crashes, the computer explodes. If the dev turns it off manually, they will be fine, but all unsaved progress will be lost.
ok but now i have this conspiracy theory that there's another gate which the gods just threw a mountain on top of and made everyone including themselves forget about it
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: April 27, 2022, 08:32:20 am »

Glad to see that Serini's stubborness is not in fact limitless, haha.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: May 13, 2022, 09:40:41 am »

In which something is shiny!  Pretty sure that's all that happens.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: May 13, 2022, 04:14:27 pm »

Shiny things are good.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: May 14, 2022, 01:52:17 am »

...has Sunny seen the Snarl?

Also this sounds like an excellent opportunity to cordon off the other two and deal with them separately

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: May 14, 2022, 09:29:19 am »

Yeah I was wondering if I was missing something.  I guess they really want a surprise round on Xykon in particular, but ganking his cleric and druid alone in a melee ambush sounds almost better.

Seems like they'd really rather prefer to fight Xykon indoors where he can't avoid Ron Greenhelm's ancestral sword, but I picture Xykon wandering back in anyway.  He's kinda an awful tactician/strategist, who would assume that Redcloak's just wasting too much time over some nerdy thing.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: May 16, 2022, 07:36:47 am »

What's the level situation on Team Evil again? Does Redcloak also outlevel the party? I assume so since Durkon basically had the start running immediately when Redcloak decided to implode him.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: May 16, 2022, 09:54:27 am »

Redcloak has 9th-level spell slots, putting him at a minimum level of 17. Given that he was throwing around Implosion all the way back before he killed Tsukiko, and he's been fighting monsters tough enough that an epic level lich was getting XP, he's probably higher than that.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: May 24, 2022, 04:53:47 am »

jeez, these guys are way underleveled. why didn't they do more sidequests?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: May 24, 2022, 09:18:25 am »

jeez, these guys are way underleveled. why didn't they do more sidequests?

Railroading.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 311