Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Random crashes. Random crashes everywhere.  (Read 1989 times)

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
Re: Random crashes. Random crashes everywhere.
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 10:19:05 am »

No, I tried to reproduce it several times. I've resorted to using a memory viewer thingy that runs in the background to see exactly what crashes (memory address shit, not fully sure how it works but I'm sure I can pass it on to someone who does) so we can narrow it down a bit. I'd say you've fucked a material up or it's a script  :-[ I'm currently trying waiting for it to crash again to get another log

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 11:05:22 am »

A year ago I would have said its possible that I fucked up a material. But now? No chance. I am very careful about inorganics, since I had to redo everything after dwarves brought magma in bags all the time.  ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 11:52:07 am »

A year ago I would have said its possible that I fucked up a material. But now? No chance. I am very careful about inorganics, since I had to redo everything after dwarves brought magma in bags all the time.  ;)
Maybe something to do with your new magic plugin? I'll remove all the magic stuff myself and try to see if that narrows the crashes down. To date I've only crashed twice, but I've seen a few other complaints so I don't think it's just me...

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 12:59:47 pm »

try typing 'unload all' in dfhack and see if that helps. Also if you cannot load the save, use a blank dfhack.ini file so the tweaks are not loaded.
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 05:05:14 pm »

It's easy to check if a crash is caused by a dfhack script. If someone has a save from which a crash can be reliably reproduced, I can check if it's happening while dfhack code is running.
Utility plugins for DFHack, for improving Dwarf Fortress' user interface.

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 05:40:48 pm »

It's easy to check if a crash is caused by a dfhack script. If someone has a save from which a crash can be reliably reproduced, I can check if it's happening while dfhack code is running.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91166.msg4438141#msg4438141

And http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7890
The 2nd one will crash about 1 game day after loading, most of the time(always?). The river freezes at that time, and I believe it to be related to whatever is causing the crash. The river unfreezes shortly after is freezes, which could also cause a crash. Doesn't crash if I unload all in dfhack, my guess is it is related to the temp fix tweak, but I didn't try to narrow this down like I did in the first save.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 06:22:53 pm by silentdeth »

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 12:54:27 am »

I was able to reproduce both crashes. The first one, strangely, goes away when I try to use a tweak plugin from my own build environment to debug it. I don't know why that is since my environment has the same code for that plugin as the release version of dfhack r3. Maybe it might be better if MasterWork built its own copy of dfhack instead of using the released one.

The second crash doesn't appear to be inside dfhack code, so I think that's modding related.
Utility plugins for DFHack, for improving Dwarf Fortress' user interface.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 07:06:33 am »

Could this tweak plugin possibly be included in the mod download, with a note saying: If you have crashes, run this, it might help?

Did you find out which plugin/script caused the problem?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Varyag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 08:01:33 am »

Fired up one of my old saves from 3e that crashed at the same moment every time. Tried a little bit of everything then i wondered what would happen if i covered everything in magma except for one of my original seven dwarves so that i had only one alive dwarf left.

That fixed the crash.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions from this.

I also discovered that scarecrows are perfect for a burning man themed fortress as they stay on fire permanently but don't seem to die from either fire or magma.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 08:10:13 am by Varyag »

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 11:52:09 am »

Another repeatable CTD, not sure what is causing it. Happens about 2 game days after loading, on the 2nd on the month.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7911

Would dwarfs with more than 5000 in a stat cause crashes? If so is there a way to change them with dfhack?

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 07:12:37 am »

Got another crash - Tried to assign a zoo to my monarch :P Looking through the memory log I have it was a stack overflow. Sounds like a vanilla bug - too much shit going on at once?
Pages: 1 [2]