Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FB plans  (Read 1125 times)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
FB plans
« on: August 11, 2013, 09:55:12 pm »

i just caught a flying earthworm with deadly blood using GCS traps.

before catching it, it was shot in the right wing by a marksdwarf.

it leaked ichor when it was shot, so i'm not sure if deadly blood has any effect. i'm not sure if it can fly either, since its wing was cut open.

suggestions?
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: FB plans
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 09:56:38 pm »

It's likely it can still fly, wings have to be cut off completely in most cases to make them flightless.

Drop some stripped goblins or kobolds if you have some and find out what happens :D

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 01:12:17 am »

Deadly Blood FBs aren't the strongest, but like anything syndrome-bearing, they can mess your military up good.  And since it can probably still fly, the number of safe ways of feeding it invaders is very low, nor can it be easily executed via pit.  I might use it for marksdwarf training, since it doesn't have any way to attack through fortifications.  Alternatively, you could just keep the monster in a zoo as a monument to your success.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 01:14:33 am »

Nothing can break a hatch from below so that might help with dropping goblins on it. Incidentally watch out for that blood, its effects might kick in later.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 01:56:48 am »

Well, you could try to create contaminated water trench with it but these days poisonous blood isn't all that dangerous even to dwarves. Also, I had an impression that if FB uses any other bodily liquid instead of blood then the syndrome is gone.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 05:52:38 am »

Nothing can break a hatch from below so that might help with dropping goblins on it. Incidentally watch out for that blood, its effects might kick in later.
This. I had 2 and a half full squads drop dead from blood loss a while after killing a FB even though none of them showed any symptoms beforehand. Was out of the blue.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 06:48:01 am »

i think i have an idea for this thing. i'm going to put it on a retracting spike tile with fortifications around it. that way its blood will spill onto the floor around it and poison any prisoners near it.

EDIT: operation FB abuse failed. retracting spike failed to injure.

abandoned project and locked thread.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 02:35:06 pm by PDF urist master »
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.