Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Candy for everyone!  (Read 4452 times)

Jackboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Candy for everyone!
« on: August 08, 2013, 10:07:07 pm »

Been building up Elbeliton "Renowned Halls" for quite some time. It was chugging along exporting pots to elves and everything else to the humans and mountainhomes. The only attacks I've experienced were goblin ambushes that were quickly dispatched by my squad of legendary axedwarves.

So I decided to dig down towards the candy, and long story short there's apparently a candy addiction going on through my dwarves. Every strange mood so far has made candy furniture, such as this bed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This single bed makes a royal bedroom, so I've put it in the bedroom I've prepared for the King that should shortly arrive. (And hopefully not drop dead as soon as he spawns on the map.)

Is it common for dwarves to make furniture out of nonstandard items? Before this I assumed beds could only be wooden. Now with all these candy artifacts my forts value has quadrupled and I have less to make weapons and armour with. (Then again, this vein has been solid for 20 Z levels now...)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Candy for everyone!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 10:43:58 pm »

Yep, you can get some normally impossible items from artifact. You can also get stone and glass beds, and I think bone and gemstone beds may be possible, too. Metalworkers always demand adamantine for their artifacts if you have it, so if you have a lot of metalworkers, expect your fortress to gain value very, very quickly.

Jackboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 11:09:08 pm »

Metalworkers always demand adamantine for their artifacts

Oh, well. I guess I can risk digging down another dozen Z levels of this candy spire because I have quite a few metalsmiths. If there's no hollow part, I get more candy. If there is, I end up with less metalsmiths. It's win-win!

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 01:55:37 am »

Pro tip, use the I key to check each layer where you are going to dig. If none of the pen/pasture or pit/pond numbers are above 0, (usually 3 pen and 1 pit when the dangerous layer is), then it's safe to dig more.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 04:20:39 am »

Pro tip, use the I key to check each layer where you are going to dig. If none of the pen/pasture or pit/pond numbers are above 0, (usually 3 pen and 1 pit when the dangerous layer is), then it's safe to dig more.

wow, Protip.

Jackboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 02:47:32 pm »

That's a great protip. I'm debating on actually doing it because it deflates the sense of "Ohgodohgodohgodohgod" feeling when I break into a new layer and start mining it out.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 02:51:09 pm »

That's a great protip. I'm debating on actually doing it because it deflates the sense of "Ohgodohgodohgodohgod" feeling when I break into a new layer and start mining it out.

Yeah. I don't do that simply because it kills a bit of the challenge and excitement. I just use the fortification carving trick, which seems much more realistic - poking a tiny hole in the spire to see what's inside before digging it out.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 06:44:59 pm »

But Dwarven Road-ar!
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 12:22:26 am »

Yeah. I don't do that simply because it kills a bit of the challenge and excitement. I just use the fortification carving trick, which seems much more realistic - poking a tiny hole in the spire to see what's inside before digging it out.
Yeah, but I just don't like the massive lag it causes when you hit it finally. We all know what's down there, I'm not gonna waste time pretending not to know it's on that layer just so I can get a massive reduction on my fps when they all spawn and get stuck behind it.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.