Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves and the edge of the map  (Read 3238 times)

JTTCOTE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves and the edge of the map
« on: August 14, 2013, 09:23:02 pm »

I'm wondering how dwarves interact when something attempts to push them off the map. If Urist McAxelord is on the map boundary and tries to dodge, could his dodge take him off the map and into eternal pixel hell? What about setting up a minecart to go off a bridge high in the air that ends right before the edge of the map? Would the dwarf in the minecart fly off, or would it hit an "invisible wall" and fall straight down? And does that invisible wall exert an impact force? If a dwarf was pushed off the map by the minecart method, would this cause "Recover Wounded" spam, or would he just be deleted entirely?

I think I need to make a fort to test this.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves and the edge of the map
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 09:50:15 pm »

I'm fairly certain that a creature can't exit the map by accident, it just acts as a solid wall unless they're deliberately trying to leave.
Do tell us what your science turns up, though.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 10:15:27 pm »

I seem to remember a thread a while back about launching dwarves in minecarts at the edge of the map. They went splat.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 10:23:05 pm »

And I'm sure that attempts have been made to use water pressure to create a "Dwarf squirt gun." I've never heard of any working method that sent a living resident of the fort off the edge of the map . . . other than goblin abductions, of course.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 12:54:51 am »

It's where King got the inspiration for Under the Dome.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 01:00:46 am »

From my own previous research into the matter, local entities to the fortress (citizens and animals) can NOT leave the fortress in any means excluding death. This includes water pressure, minecarts, and dodging.

From my memory, as this was ages ago (before my major hiatus for Minecraft):
* Tiles just outside the map edge act as 0/7 full with respect to water/magma level
* Minecarts collide with the map edge (going right up to the edge of the map)
* I don't recall that dodging attempts "off the map" were recorded; if the game decided that the dwarf would dodge, it either rerolled the direction or just ignored the fact.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 01:25:13 am »

Now I wonder about sutramane's double overhead wall animal shotgun.

It takes a caged animal as cargo in a minecart, fires the minecart at terminal velocity so it derails in a parabolic arc, where it then collides with a wall, spilling the contents. In this case, the cage, with the creature inside.  The cage continues its parabolic tradjectory, colliding with another wall, dislodging the contents of the cage. In this fashion a dwarf can be fired alive at the edge of the map, several Z above the ground, quite literally at point blank range.;D

There would be no question about if it was the minecart not allowed off the map, or the dwarf not allowed off the map.

Personally, I think the dwarf will splatter into gore against the invisible timewall that surrounds the embark, but that's just me.

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 01:39:00 am »

If a dwarf is in a cage and you sell the cage, will the traders take the dwarf in a cage off the map?

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 01:56:25 am »

Now I wonder about sutramane's double overhead wall animal shotgun.

It takes a caged animal as cargo in a minecart, fires the minecart at terminal velocity so it derails in a parabolic arc, where it then collides with a wall, spilling the contents. In this case, the cage, with the creature inside.  The cage continues its parabolic tradjectory, colliding with another wall, dislodging the contents of the cage. In this fashion a dwarf can be fired alive at the edge of the map, several Z above the ground, quite literally at point blank range.;D

There would be no question about if it was the minecart not allowed off the map, or the dwarf not allowed off the map.

Personally, I think the dwarf will splatter into gore against the invisible timewall that surrounds the embark, but that's just me.

Confirmed: No dwarves volunteered for this test, so I tried the next best thing: puppy-gun. I stuffed their cage into my accelerator and let them fly. They hit the wall, got out of the cage, got hit by the minecart (wtf?) and...exploded. So no, no way off the map this way, all 4 doggies accounted for. At least the parts seem to add up to 4....

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 02:06:52 am »

If a dwarf is in a cage and you sell the cage, will the traders take the dwarf in a cage off the map?

I think that the cage will be emptied of its contents before being brought to the depot. I know that there would be adverse effects if a dwarf suddenly vanished from the fort (from the point of view of the code).
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 07:31:06 am »

I think that the cage will be emptied of its contents before being brought to the depot. I know that there would be adverse effects if a dwarf suddenly vanished from the fort (from the point of view of the code).

From what I've heard, you can sell caged dwarves just fine. You'd have to check, though.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 07:50:39 am »

Not possible, edge of map is kinda like a wall infinitely high and thick. Only way to get dwarves out would be by caging and trading them out. I think only thing that'll exit there are water, though I think magma should be able to, I've not tested the latter.

I suppose edge of fortress embark is a mysterious omnipresent barrier to infinity outside of deprestate migrant, money-hungry traders and fortune-hungry invaders :D

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 10:09:57 am »

From what I've heard, you can sell caged dwarves just fine. You'd have to check, though.
The traders open the cage upon trading, letting the dwarf free.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 11:50:44 am »

The local dwarf hive mind has range limits similar to RC controllers.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 01:01:45 pm »

I've seen crossbow bolts fly off the edge of the map (or at least hit the wall, disappear and not leave the broken bolt token on the ground)

Catapult ammo will pile up against the edge, as if you had hit a wall.  Ballista bolts will as well I believe (don't recall if I tested this or was going to test it).

wild animals can dodge/move outside the map, and they will despawn.  Same is true for any non-native unit (merchants, hostiles, etc)

Dwarves will not be swept off the map by moving water, they will stay on the edge until they escape or drown.  Non-native units can be swept away.