Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bloodlines - OOC/Signup Thread  (Read 4315 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bloodlines - OOC/Signup Thread
« on: August 09, 2013, 06:47:25 pm »

~IC Thread~

Well, I've decided to run an RP focused, relatively freeform game to test out a setting. It takes place in one of those pseudo-medieval fantasy worlds, except with much higher technological levels. Plus all of the deities are eldritch abominations. As for what actually happens, that will be up for the players to decide since this is more of a setting test than a gameplay test.

Also, terms that are specifically pertains to religion won't exist in this world since no one actually worships the deities. For example, the word "church" doesn't exist as it is a predominantly christian word while the concept of a succubus would still exist since it pertains more to an entity than its religious justification.

Magic is common, especially healing magic though military-grade magic is less proliferated. Healing spells read their target's DNA, so they can not heal something that is genetic.

Should combat actually happen, I'll update in the relevant stats, damage system and respawn system.

The subtle floral scents of mid-late spring slowly scatter through the air this early Tetradius morning as a flock of demons lazily glide across the city in a vague holding pattern, their sharp angular forms meaninglessly contrasting the elegantly curving underside of Itova. The normally busy bridges were deserted, the connecting street segments desolate and the aerial paths abandoned. Cacophony of mechanical rumbles and clicking begins to echo through the city, as the peripheral modules of the floating structure slowly detach and gently drift away from the Itova's usual, broad holding pattern. Incrementally accelerating, the peripherals maneuvered into formation, at their currently relaxed pace, they shall descend unto the Agaean Sea within the next few hours.

Spire-like terminals erupt from wide silo-like structures, activating with near palpable pulses of energy. The familiar visual warping and the softly luminous colored light of ethereal magic gathers through the entities. Souls capriciously fade in and out around their glowing edifices, casting a gentle glow around the surrounding area.

Link established.

Border travel is now active, doubtlessly it will be used quite frequently in the following months. Hopefully. The civil war in the few outer Agaea provinces hasn't quite finished yet, though the two involved factions have made the affair rather internecine plus the government has managed to keep it from spilling over too much. Of course, even if that matter was in its dying throes (and it almost definitely is), people are understandably cautious about loitering around the territorial waters of Agaea lest Itova get attacked. Of course, getting attacked isn't a very likely risk, Liburum is more or less neutral and has been for the past century or so. Unless someone has a deathwish and wants to test out Merrinae's patience, the chances of actual conflict is rather low. But just to be sure and keep confidence up, Dragoons have been deployed around the descending modules.

Spoiler: Deities (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Magic Categories (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Weapon Types (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Armor (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:53:11 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodlines: OOC/Signup Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 06:48:36 pm »

Spoiler: Character Sheets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character Bonuses (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 11:31:47 am by Empiricist »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 07:03:15 pm »

Name:  Kyle Johnson
Occupation:  Apprentice to one of this universe's blacksmith equivalent.
Backstory:  Kyle comes from a relatively well off family that works in the specialized weapons industry. (Blacksmith only means that the guy works with iron but most people don't know that.) The eldest son is always sent off to learn from a weaponsmith to continue the legacy. Kyle got burned while assisting his mentor making a weapon one day. (Probably not all of the backstory but I work much better when I have to make it up on the fly. So expect this to get updated as I say more.)
Unique traits (if any):  Burns on the back of his hand. Normally wears glove to cover them when he is not working.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 07:48:08 pm by kj1225 »

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 07:06:13 pm »

Reserving a spot as well.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 07:07:07 pm »

PTW, i can't handle watching 6 threads at a time.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 07:08:35 pm »

I'd love to but Im not that good at role play rather than roll play, i want to get better though, but yeah. Unless you are willing to put up with my stumbling
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 07:13:04 pm »

I'd love to but Im not that good at role play rather than roll play, i want to get better though, but yeah. Unless you are willing to put up with my stumbling
Yeah, as long as you're willing to put up with my lack of GM'ing experience.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 07:23:34 pm »

Yeah, as long as you're willing to put up with my lack of GM'ing experience.

ok sure il give it a whirl, I am at GMT +10 just so you know and work Sundays and Mondays, and have Dark heresy on Wednesdays (although i do have a smartphone so i can make short posts, but they are annoying as hell to use), this is so you know when it is possible for me to reply quickly

Name: Uriana Relota
Occupation: Alchemist/Merchant/Glassblower (makes own vials etc and may do commision work, but mostly sells the alchemy she makes)
Backstory: Uriana grew up in a street of artisans, blacksmiths, glassblowers, carpenters, tailors etc. Her parents either did not know of her existence, either that or they were killed in a war or over some trinket.  However she did not lead an unhappy life, because while the artisans were obviously competing with eachother, in this case it was more like friendly rivalry and anythinig that found its way into their street was theirs to take care of.  Uriana grew up helping the various artisans in the street and playing with their kids, it was almost as if she brought them together as something they all shared a concern for.  It was no surprise that when she came of age, she opened her own shop, but because of a natural talent she had she sold concoctions and potions, something that most would not be able to do without education in the area, the relatively cheap price that she sets for her wares draws more people to this street, making for one of the most prosperous groups of artisans in the country.
Unique traits (if any): Steady Hands, Magic Feel (Can tell innate magical properties of most raw materials by feel)

Working on character, also what type of races are there? just humans? most of the high fantasy races? something different?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 07:49:36 pm by wolfchild »
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 07:26:18 pm »

Humans only. Though humans have some innate magical properties in this setting. Occupations are similar to real-life occupations though there are a few standard fantasy jobs such as alchemy and magus.
Issues with posting is fine with me.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 07:27:21 pm »

Reserving, I'll add the sheet shortly. Do we have to be human? My idea is humanoid but it has quite a few unique characteristics that aren't human.

Name: Laurence Hunter
Occupation: Runs a company of sell swords, The Phantom Wolves. ( I can PM you information on the company if you need it. )
Backstory.
Part 1, Before the curse. : Before they were cursed Laurence lead a large group of bandits who lived deep within a huge forest, so deep inside that the small city they had built had never been discovered by outsiders.
They made a living if you can call it that, by raiding caravans passing near the forest and from time to time from picking off the scattered remnants of any beaten army that happened to come close enough.
During this time they attacked a caravan owned by a dark sorcerer and discovered him within it, he attempted to use magic to repel them but before he was able to Laurence knocked him unconscious then cut off both his hands in preemptive revenge for what he had attempted to do.
Part 2, The curse. : Once he woke up and had used magic to stop the bleeding the sorcerer tracked them into the forest and spent months stumbling around looking for them before stumbling across the city half dead.
Determined to have his revenge he attempted to curse them all and turn them into animals believing it a fitting punishment for the way they acted but his exhaustion overcame him and half way through channeling the curse he collapsed.
Rather unfortunately for him the result of the incomplete curse was that the entire bandit population's blood had been corrupted by that of wolves and every man, woman and child had grown the features of a wolf. ( See Unique Traits. )
The incomplete transformation had resulted in a hybrid of the two species, they had humanoid forms but had gained the physical advantages of a wolf, becoming faster, stronger, more agile and able to withstand far greater physical damage then any normal human, on top of this there senses had been significantly amplified resulting in an entirely new species that combined the strengths of humans and wolves together.
Part 3, Paybacks a wolfen maiden. : The first to find the unconscious sorcerer was a 13 year old girl who's newly grown fur was a light brown color. Her initial instinct, all of which were far more dominant then in any human, was to rip his throat out but her human half maintained enough control that she dragged him back into the city alive, though missing multiple chunks of flesh that could be found easily from the blood coating her face and upper body and the shreds of it stuck between her fangs.
Once Laurence was informed he returned to the city and taking 1 look at the sorcerer he shrugged at the young girl who'd found him, a short time later after managing to wake him she gave him a feral grin before tearing his throat out with her fangs and being coated in his blood.
Part 4, The Wolves are born. : Less then 3 years later even the youngest child had grown to maturity and as a species they had developed a good understanding of there new bodies. ( Which I'll explain in more detail below. ) Laurence had easily maintained his position as leader although he was now referred to as the pack Alpha through sheer brutality leaving any male who challenged him wounded but alive through a refusal to kill those he now considered to be his blood as part of the shared curse they had suffered, though none of them had ever complained about the outcome.
The young woman who'd killed the sorcerer had became his mate several weeks earlier after several dozen other males had tried and failed to tame her resulting in bloody injuries every time.
Laurence had been impressed and after a fight that lasted almost a full day he'd finally been able to pin her to the ground and tame her taking her as his mate.
Her name had been Jennifer but upon being taken as his mate Laurence renamed her Crimson Kitten, a name which quickly spread along with the companies exploits.
She fell into the position easily and was both the gentlest of the species with her family and the most vicious of the species females.
The 2 of them ruled the pack with complete dominance and had decided together to try to find a better existence then being bandits and so had renamed the pack and begun taking work as mercenaries.
Part 5, The wolves hunt. : After several dozen minor jobs they had built up a reputation for success and the entire pack had been blooded. Shortly after this they took the first major contract since they had formed the pack and were sent to deal with a rebellion.
However the man offering the contracts choice of words was pore and the only instruction he gave to them was to put down the rebellion forever as a result the pack fell upon the rebels camp at night and tore every one of them to pieces in a single night of bloody slaughter and feasting. ( There half wolf, meat is meat. ) However to complete the contract they had to remove any chance of it happening again and so the following day they washed across the land killing every living person they found regardless of age or gender.
To ensure the rebellion could never come again they ensured nobody remained alive to rebel.
Part 6, The wolves fury. : Hearing what the pack had done the man who took out the contract refused to pay the rest of the fee and attempted to escape with his small army, both out of anger at his refusal and seeing this as an act of rebellion they decided to take the payment themselves and complete the task.
The small army did not even have the chance to prepare to fight before the tide of half wolves washed over them and tore them to pieces. The pack then used the money from the contract to equip themselves better for future conflict and gave the rest away to the few villages that had accepted them in the past.
Wolves are loyal to the pack by nature and that pack extends to any who wish to become a part of it either partially or fully.

Additional information.
Firstly sorry it's so long. Once I started it kind of snowballed and I decided to just run with it. Critique as you will I've never really written a story so I'm sure it's horrible.

Anyway, first I'll explain what my species is physically. The wolf features are explained in the unique traits below and every one of them has it although the color varies matching the humans original hair color.
They have all of the strengths of a wolf, meaning they have the wolves strength, it's speed, it's agility and endurance as well as it's superior senses. But rather then replacing that of the human it was added to it meaning they have the combined abilities of both the wolf they became and the human they were. In short, these wolves can literally bite through plate armor and rip out your heart without breaking a sweat, can move in almost total silence when they want to and are every bit as comfortable moving at night as they are in the day.

The packs hierarchy is the same as any normal pack, the alpha and his mate lead, in this case Laurence and Crimson. They also have the wolves habit for taking mates in that a female will only be taken as a mate by a male who is able to force her into submission, otherwise they consider the male to be unworthy of them but once taken they will remain true to that male. Crimson was the most vicious of the females as Laurence is the most vicious of the males and as such he was the only one capable of taking her as a mate.

Wolves grow up in a couple of years rather then in 18 years, the new species has this trait but in a more limited degree meaning that a newborn of this species will be full grown in about 4 years and be an adult in 5-6. They breed like a human except that single children are extremely rare and it's common to have as many as 4 children at a time.

Now to explain how people can join both partially and fully. Partially means they are considered as part of the pack but they do not live with it. This encompasses those who treat with the wolves and have decided willingly to join them. To fully become a member the human goes through a ritual in which he takes the blood of the alpha of his gender ( Laurence or Crimson. ) at which point after several painful days his body will be corrupted and become the same as the packs by means of the curse within the alphas blood.

Finally onto how they're equipped, they have chain mail armor since thats the leather of this setting. It's light, very flexible and offers good protection, it's also covered in actual leather that is the same color as the wolf wearing it.
They carry massive numbers of throwing weapons, large meaning a load of spears on the back, axes in belts and knives across the chest and every one of them also carries a 6 ft broadsword across the back that they can wield easily thanks to the enhanced strength.
On top of that they have the claws and fangs.

The pack not counting random partial members if 3500 true wolves and around 500 young wolves. ( Those under 4 years of age. )

To cut it all short, they're big, mean, extremely lethal and can run as fast as a horse. So pissing them off is very likely to be fatal.
They're also fanatically loyal to the pack to the extent that under torture they'll bite off there own tongues to make it impossible to betray it and will go to any extreme to protect it. They will also never break a contract once made but learn from the mistake of the last one to buy them. They think differently to humans so if you don't make it clear then the outcome may not be what you wanted.

Unique traits (if any): Slightly pointed black furry ears, sharp fangs, slightly furry skin, bright yellow eyes, claws on his fingers and toes that he can extend or retract and a long black tail.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:11:26 am by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 07:28:28 pm »

Name:  Kyle Johnson
Occupation:  Apprentice to one of this universe's blacksmith equivalent.
Backstory:  To be filled in later.
Unique traits (if any):  Burns on the back of his hand. Normally wears glove to cover them when he is not working.
Yeah, there are blacksmiths, they tend to work with more specialized or customized equipment that automated systems can't make.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 07:29:41 pm »

I was going to ask but then my food came.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 07:36:21 pm »

Name: Harkus Salem
Backstory:
Harkus Oswald Salem is the son of the legendary dungeoneer Godfrei Salem and the rogue bounty huntress Mikaela. When he was young, Godfrei would set up elaborate pretend dungeons for Harkus to explore. They would be courses on top of tall trees, a covered area in the cold forest of his home, or in some abandoned building. Hark would invite his friends to join his party, and together they would hop from tree to tree, and play with wooden swords and shields.

In time, the boys had become young men, each superb with sword and shield. His friends either became sellswords or warriors in search for battle. Harkus, however, enjoyed the adventure more than the battle. He joined a party with his father to venture into the Cave of the Pit, but it went haywire when he picked up a relic and caused his father and his men to be trapped inside. To this day, Harkus ventures the many dungeons in search for a way to free his father.
Unique traits (if any): White irises, as a result from being blinded by the relic. He can still see though.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 10:29:49 pm by Cheesecake »
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 07:49:49 pm »

OK character done, please critique

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 07:57:02 pm »

That's fine. I don't see anything wrong with it at all. War or being killed over a trinket are both acceptable explanations for parental death. I'm assuming her store provides her with a steady income and that despite formal education she knows quite a bit about tangible magic.
Edit: Updated with bonuses. [WIP] indicates that I'm waiting for the completion of the character sheet before I decide on what sort of bonus to provide.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 08:48:17 pm by Empiricist »
Pages: [1] 2 3