Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I create a completely new instance of DF (start fresh but keep old saves)  (Read 508 times)

mustafa2812

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would like to get back into DF but I want to start completely from scratch (no mods, no saves, nothing).  Only problem is I like keeping my old forts and stuff to look back upon, I would just like a separate instance of DF to play on.  Is this at all possible?  If not, what is the closest thing I can do to accomplishing this goal?  Thanks.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile

Decompress the DF into differently named folder. I have at least three different versions of DF on my computer currently and had a few separate folders of same version at one point to mess around with modding and worldgen.

Can't say about playing them at same time, but doesn't sounds like you're trying to do it. Each instance of DF is pretty much standalone and separate folders for each of them will do the job.

kleril

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm the guy who sucks
    • View Profile

Just redownload the game entirely. 10 megs isn't asking all that much. I've got a whole bunch of installs in my main DF folder, arranged by version & installed mods.
"Obsession and despair take hold as you fail to recapture a fantastic sensation that you had for a moment but is now gone."

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile

Just redownload the game entirely. 10 megs isn't asking all that much. I've got a whole bunch of installs in my main DF folder, arranged by version & installed mods.

I keep the compressed file that comes with download, that way I don't have to re-download to have multiple versions :D