Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

did you spoil your experaince and read this thread?

yes
- 8 (29.6%)
no
- 19 (70.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: !!!!SPOILER THREAD!!!!  (Read 3746 times)

blazing glory

!!!!SPOILER THREAD!!!!
« on: August 11, 2013, 06:31:50 am »

incase the title was not enough for you THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS OF THE HIGHEST LEVEL UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN EVERYTHING THERE IS TO SEE (or you already spoiled the big secret) DON'T READ THIS THREAD right now that's out of the way time for my question
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: !!!!SPOILER THREAD!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 06:38:15 am »

Been there, done it, still grinds FPS down because they're flailing around trying to run outside. Seem to be pretty standard procedure using either bridge or fleet-feet masons in succession fortresses I've seen, too.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 07:20:46 am »

Been there, done it, still grinds FPS down because they're flailing around trying to run outside. Seem to be pretty standard procedure using either bridge or fleet-feet masons in succession fortresses I've seen, too.

That would be a lot more effective than what I do, sealing in a peasant with a pick  ???, I should try a version where everyone lives but that wouldn't be a proper offering to the blood god, now would it?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 07:22:44 am »

That would be a lot more effective than what I do, sealing in a peasant with a pick  ???, I should try a version where everyone lives but that wouldn't be a proper offering to the blood god, now would it?

Sealing them in with a pick is MUCH safer for the whole fortress, really, it's usually accidental breaching I sees and experiences :D

blazing glory

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 07:46:22 am »

huh so if i have a mason who would be ready to make a wall to block off hell i could mine adamantium safely? (of course safely navagateing magma warm stone)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 07:49:04 am »

huh so if i have a mason who would be ready to make a wall to block off hell i could mine adamantium safely? (of course safely navagateing magma warm stone)

I wouldn't say safely, just safe enough to not kill your own fortress.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 09:05:08 am »

Just install hatch in the shaft. After miner escapes, lock it, link it to the lever, keep dumping all the fortress waste onto it for years then pull the lever.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 03:54:22 pm »

How about a trick?

Find candy vein, mine a bit till you know where the hole is, smooth the candy, carve fortification into the candy, have your engraver look into it and see all the demons. The demons will spawn, but you never breached the spire. And you have a way of shooting at them.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 10:39:15 pm »

How about a trick?

Find candy vein, mine a bit till you know where the hole is, smooth the candy, carve fortification into the candy, have your engraver look into it and see all the demons. The demons will spawn, but you never breached the spire. And you have a way of shooting at them.

+1. Effective and realistic.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 12:25:34 am »

How about a trick?

And they have a way of dusting/shooting at your marksdwarves..

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 01:06:25 am »

If you have more than one adamantine vein in your embark, only one of them will cause the demons to attack when breached. If you breach any of the others the demon will just sit around in hell. There is no way of telling which vein is the dangerous one, though.

This is known as Dwarven Roulette.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 04:24:50 pm »

maybe this has already been covered, but what if you give them a way to the surface?
what if i just drill a long spiral down to the bottom and then breach... will they just bee-line straight up and out and leave my fortress alone?

I can imagine a nice way to weaponize that by putting that demon-chimney right next to my main entrance and letting a few out (with a hatch above or a bridge or something) whenever i want to break up a particularly tricky siege.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 04:33:07 pm »

I swear, kids these days.

The answer is simple, and delightfully dwarven.

Make note of the adamantine spire. Make a special chute leading to the top of the spire. Enclose 1 miner with a pick, and make a roofed over chamber with fortification slit walls, ON THE SURFACE.

The chute links the "pillbox" with the spire.

Last stage: the walled in dwarf channels down until he falls through the spire.

This has several noteworthy benefits.:

1) assign a snooty mayor or baron as the miner. Claim it was an accident.
2) you make Armok pleased.
3) the clowns are now offensively weaponized safey.
4) once breached, all other spires can be nined reasonably safely.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 05:12:10 pm »

If you have more than one adamantine vein in your embark, only one of them will cause the demons to attack when breached. If you breach any of the others the demon will just sit around in hell. There is no way of telling which vein is the dangerous one, though.

This is known as Dwarven Roulette.
This isn't quite true.  I think (not 100% sure though) that only one spire in an embark map square will lead to hell, but if a spire is hollow it will always go all the way down.  It may not be hollow at all, or it may be hollow for only half of it, but once you find that hollow area, you find demons.

After the initial wave does its thing, any left will kind of "hang out", so opening a second hollow spire is less of an issue.  You don't get a second massive spawn, and (usually) don't see them charge for the new opening.  As already mentioned, it is almost safe.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 12:49:53 am »

When I breached the hollow part of my first vein all the demons spawned below the other vein on the embark, and did nothing.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01
Pages: [1] 2