Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: I'm going to hell - how & why my dwarfs now kill their own babies  (Read 16529 times)

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
Re: I'm going to hell - how & why my dwarfs now kill their own babies
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2013, 06:07:06 pm »

This game is too perfect sometimes:

Clearly my dwarven gods do not approve and so this activity must cease.

I'm sure she's just upset about how long it takes. If she really cared for children, then she wouldn't want them to grow up in a dwarf fortress of all places. She would probably see it as a well-intentioned but ultimately cruel and painful attempt at a mercy killing. She would probably cheer up if you could make it kill them immediately, in a single strike, then respectfully bury their remains. Still, the statue could be used to decorate the murder-room, or to decorate your dining room/mayors quarters as a reminder of what they've done. Or maybe build more, as a giant middle finger to her. What's the worst she could do, give you more children? Besides, it's only an artist's rendition of her looking sad, It probably just reflects the shame/guilt of the dwarves involved.

It is now abundantly obvious that the gods not only approve of this exercise, but beg for more!

While I agree with the sentiment that it should be continued, I have to ask why she would make a sorrowful gesture if she wanted more?
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2013, 06:23:07 pm »

While I agree with the sentiment that it should be continued, I have to ask why she would make a sorrowful gesture if she wanted more?

She's disappointed that we haven't been murdering babies sooner.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2013, 06:37:17 pm »

Perhaps this helpful illustration will answer that question?

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2013, 02:32:34 pm »

I'm asexual. I have no kids, and no biological drive to have any. Ever.

I'm asexual, but I don't feel the need to pitch an HBO miniseries about it every time someone mentions sexuality! (I actually am interested in having kids, though.)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2013, 04:48:35 pm »

Sorry. I just get rankled by people who proudly proclaim things along the lines of "if you had kids, you would understand!", and others who view the lack of interest in having said kids as abnormal.

It wasn't intended as some sacred pronoucement or anything. Just an assertion against the status quo.

It basically just prefaces how I came to hold such opinions. Not that being such mandates holding the same opinion.

I really don't care what people do and don't find pleasurable in private. However, some demographics and groups of people place undue levels of emphasis on that subject, which really is the only reason it matters in the previous exchange; I don't engage in the activity at all, and have no impulse to ever do so. As such, I have much more time to learn and think about things than people who do engage in said activity. That is why I have very atypical views on certain subjects.

Again, not intended to be construed as grandstanding or as you put it, "an HBO miniseries". 

Now, can we kindly drop that, and get on with the thread?

howitended

• Bay Watcher
  • Real men wear pink
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2013, 09:08:11 pm »

Not proud of what you've done?

Somebody needs to give this man a medal, maybe then he'll finally feel pride for his achievement.  ???
They built this whole neighborhood out of wood, out of wood
I guess I'll still be around when they burn, burn it down
I will be standing around when they burn it down

Here in the Museum of Idiots

howitended

• Bay Watcher
  • Real men wear pink
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2013, 09:16:32 pm »

Apropos nothing in particular, is there a way in the controls to set a thread to 'ignore'? I can't find it.

I'm not sure i'd actually _want_ to ignore threads like this one. If nothing else, it's a good way to remind myself how bile tastes.

What are you doing here..?
Things like this make my day. It's just a game, after all.

Just because I like Grand Theft Auto doesn't mean I look at it with the same seriousness as if I were actually witnessing carjackings and the like. And it certainly doesn't mean I'm the type to do anything I do in those games, it's just pixels.
They built this whole neighborhood out of wood, out of wood
I guess I'll still be around when they burn, burn it down
I will be standing around when they burn it down

Here in the Museum of Idiots

h0lx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2014, 12:30:11 pm »

This is perfect for my new baby powered happiness booster!

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2014, 01:46:14 pm »

I, and many others, think of the babies more like ablative armor for the soldiers..
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2014, 03:00:45 pm »

this is great.    Although again, if you wait for them to grow into children, burrow + bridge means you can slab them and the parents won't even know.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2014, 04:42:08 pm »

Unless this escapes the Great Distracted Eye of The Toad I imagine it'll eventually be fixed as a bug :( The bridge thing is equally effective, if not a bit better, but.. I don't get to watch a baby *schwthack!!* into walls and splash blood around with the bridge method.. Unless.. ... Just burrow them on top of the bridge and repeatedly pull the lever..

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2014, 04:52:33 pm »

This is deliciously evil, yet useful.

I'd like to one day see a mod where dwarves could equip babies as armor. Like baby helmets, gauntlets, shin guards, etc.

All strapped on with a bit of rope =D
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2014, 06:23:27 pm »

Okay.

I'm not new to the game, been cheerfully playing for years, but have never ever modified it: I only play vanilla.
So explain this as to one who has no clue.
How do I set my baby cap lower?
Will it affect the rest of my game?
Do I have to download something?
I've passed by instructions somewhere on how to get my animals sterilised, is it just the same, download that and "fix" my dorfs?
How is it done?

I'm ignoring the walls of politics, it is after all a computer game, I just want to know how it's done. Evidently it's easy?
Ta.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2014, 06:53:02 pm »

Edit data/init/d_init.txt under your install directory (reverse the slashes if you're on Windows, of course). Now find the line like:

[BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:1000]

Read the paragraph just before that line to see what the values mean. I use:

[BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:20]

No if my children+babies is >= 20% of my population, no more pregnancies will occur.

While you're there, look through the rest of the file and you might find a few other thing you'll want to tweak. Also look at init.txt, which has other parameters you can adjust.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2014, 07:09:54 pm »

What on earth is an install directory?

...Okay, so I thought about that question, then went and searched for "install directory" and then when that gave me nothing, for "baby_child_cap". This put me in a simpletext file called "d_init.txt" which I'm guessing is the second thing you tried to send me? It seems to have the things you described, after a bit of scrolling around.

...I've set it to what you recommended. Do I need to find the "install directory" as well? Where would it be? Do I have to make a new fort for this to come into effect? What will happen?

...I guess there's only one way to find out...

...I have one other question, which probably won't spawn me any useful answers, but why on earth is all of this controlled by a simpletext file? I always thought programming was... I don't know... less accessible?   ???
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5