Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: I'm going to hell - how & why my dwarfs now kill their own babies  (Read 16522 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm going to hell - how & why my dwarfs now kill their own babies
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2014, 07:20:10 pm »

The install directory is where you have DF installed. It's where the .exe file is.

The d_init.txt file isn't programming, it's a config file. It's supposed to be simple.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2014, 07:56:29 pm »

The modding is pretty easy and almost "code"-free, or else I'd fail miserably :) For instance, in Dwarf Fort/raw/creatures_domestic.txt notepad, you can scroll down to the entry for cats and type in [TRAINABLE] and poof, you can now train cats for hunting and war :) Then you can find BODY_SIZE and just paste in the BODY_SIZE for cows and tah-dah, cow-sized war-cats :) There are other harder aspects, though, like actually assembling creatures in the correct order and setting up muscle/bone layers and stuff.. I don't mess with any of that though.. All kinds of smaller fun stuff can be easily tweaked with very (VERY!) little research :D

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • More than meets the eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2014, 08:10:14 pm »

What on earth is an install directory?

[...]

...I have one other question, which probably won't spawn me any useful answers, but why on earth is all of this controlled by a simpletext file? I always thought programming was... I don't know... less accessible?   ???
An install directory is the directory that a program installs into. It's where you actually saved the game on your computer (organizational wise, like if you installed it in a new folder in your Documents).

Programming normally can be for security purposes, and for design purposes it could be made to be more "open." Certain computer games do this so that modding can be made easier (as people would try to reverse engineer or decompile the program anyway). The cap number itself isn't automatically known by the computer to mean a specific limit inside of a video game, somebody had to have coded a meaning for that variable (in order for it to have an effect in the game, anyway). Altering it just changes an option; it wouldn't be "hacking" necessarily to turn the music off in a game that provides the options in the GUI of say a pause menu.

EDIT: Fixed some wording.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2014, 06:00:15 am »

It will take effect as soon as your... lialilasometing dwarven diplomat leaves the map alive and after the meeting with you expedition leader. And it is that easily accessible because it's a kind of "settings menu" with more options and accessible without opening the game. Actually many games have that file. It's there for our convecinesomething. Go away english.

Will goblins get terrified by dwarven corpses? Because we can always invent a device that will send the baby flying over our walls, both killing it in a single strike and demoralising siegers.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2014, 07:04:54 am »

Because we can always invent a device that will send the baby flying over our walls, both killing it in a single strike and demoralising siegers.

Bosa mcSwordgoblin: Raise shields! They're shooting babies at us!
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]