Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: All the old clothes in your cabinet!  (Read 3390 times)

dnf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
All the old clothes in your cabinet!
« on: August 12, 2013, 01:59:46 am »

Well, this is what I had to ask every dwarf in my fortress of 250 beards. I crawled trough their cabinets in bedrooms (heee heee) but I found nothing else than old clothing. Everywhere.

First, I'm really disappointed that masterwork tunic is gone in the same short time as low-level beggar rags .. but the real problem I have is the LOT of old clothes in every cabinet.

My question is, should I try to dump it all (not preferred) or they will eventually exchange them for new ones in cabinets? (which I would like best) But now in time of rest I have nearly 90 idlers, so they have chance to do low-priority tasks. But still no cleaning in cabinets  >:(

I have plenty of new shiny clothing in stockpiles, and actually they are changing it, but only clothing which they actually wear, not the one in cabinets... They even (mostly) put these changed old clothes to the right stockpile, and then it is donated to "The Poor Elf's Second Hand" :)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: All the old clothes in your cabinet!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 02:17:58 am »

Dwarves doesn't clears their cabinets out on their own, I usually don't bother to give them any unless I'm running a full replacement clothing militia. Anything left outside personal room get unowned within a month, stuffs in cabinets stays owned. Dwarves will still change clothings once it's worn enough if they can replace like layer on bodyparts, but they won't replace the cabinet stuffs. The cabinet is where worn things goes to once new ones are acquired :D

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 05:34:31 am »

Just a quick tip about dumping worn out clothing more easily, as manually accessing each cabinet probably isn't going to be a fun activity.

You can go to the stocks screen, hit TAB to show individual items and hit D on old clothing which needs to be disposed of via your preferred method.
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 06:50:47 am »

I use DFhack cleanowned x command to empty the cabinets once every year.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 07:51:14 am »

I don't give my dwarves cabinets.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

_Ivan_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 11:50:41 am »

I give them cabinets and let them handle their own messes. When one of them dies their stuff gets restocked and sold or used.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 03:57:40 pm »

I need to start a proper breeding program (or buy out a zillion leather bins from the next caravan), but my plan is bone greaves, leather armor and boots for everyone. Nobody gets to wear clothing. I've tried running a clothing ring, and the dwarves are just way too anal about holding on to everything. And then they'll leave their old clothing all over the floor and nobody will touch it or dump it or trade it. :(
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 04:09:28 pm »

The smell of sweat and leather chaps must be overwhelming in your fortress. (Blach)

Though maybe you are starting a leather fetish fortress? Buy whips from the humans and train lashers to complete the effect?

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 04:51:24 pm »

trade depot cleans out cabinets and chests easy enough for me

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 10:53:18 pm »

I'm in the desert and haven't dug for magma yet, so yeah, bone/leather armor is necessary.

I might make a whipsquad for teh lulz though.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 11:25:30 pm »

Mad Urist: Beyond Boulder Dome

"two dwarves enter, One dwarf leaves!"

*warning. Contains tina turner.

(I imagine "Post BoatMurdered" volcanic apocholypse, with elf tina turner, and "Mad Urist", where alcohol is made at "bartender town".)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:53:58 pm by wierd »

dnf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 01:24:27 am »

trade depot cleans out cabinets and chests easy enough for me

well, not in my fortress. Only tradeable worn clothes are the ones on the floor or on stockpile next to depot (where they belongs) ...

OK, thanks for comments, I will dump it from stock screen somewhere near depot, for trading. I'm not using dfhack (yet), but if this will not work, I will give it a try.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 03:36:20 am »

Owned items aren't available for trade or dumping, and yes, currently that basically means all the old clothes dwarfs have squirrelled away in their cabinets and rooms (and which they don't actually intend to ever wear again). To get items out, you must 'disown' them - either through DFHack or by forbidding them - area-forbid (d-b-h) the cabinets, wait about two weeks, reclaim them. Area-forbidding containers also forbids their contents and dwarfs will give up ownership of forbidden items after several days.

If your beards have spacious bedrooms without cabinets, most old clothes will end up on the floor (but still owned, because they're inside owned rooms). You can paint a large refuse stockpile over the whole residential area, and the 'stored' rags will simply rot away. Make sure you configure such stockpiles so that no actual garbage is brought into the bedrooms to stink up the place - block all items apart from a single fantasy item like "penguin shell" and/or set the stockpile to "only accept from links" without linking it anywhere.

Forts with a high population rotation should have less trouble with this as well, because dead dwarfs don't own plaids.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 04:11:18 am by Larix »

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 07:26:22 am »

Next version: Dwarven Thrift Shops.

Welcome to DwarfWill, we accept donations.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 07:53:08 am »

DFhack's cleanowned.
Pages: [1] 2