Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to keep dorfs from dropping their armor?  (Read 786 times)

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to keep dorfs from dropping their armor?
« on: August 12, 2013, 12:10:14 pm »

Hi guys,

After quite a bit of struggling I finally managed to get all my military dorfs equipped with the right weapons and armor pieces. Everything went well for a couple of days and then some of them decided that they don't like their armor anymore and brought it back to the stockpile. I know that they upgrade if something better is available but that does not seem to be the case:

first of all, some drop more pieces then picking up other stuff. that leaves them with open slots (more vulnerable)
second of all, even if try to eliminate the possibility of upgrades by forbidding all other armor, they still go back to the stockpile and drop stuff off. and once they dropped it, they will not pick it back up no matter how long I wait.

is there a workaround for this issue? can I get them to stay safe and fully equipped?

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
Re: How to keep dorfs from dropping their armor?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 12:34:12 am »

Yes, assign them specific armor. Instead of metal breastplate, you got to choose, which specific breastplate they'll wear. It's a hassle to assign all that stuff to every military dwarf, but once you have done it, they will never unequip their stuff again, when your armorsmith has again "created a masterpiece!".

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 05:26:13 am »

Yes, assign them specific armor. Instead of metal breastplate, you got to choose, which specific breastplate they'll wear. It's a hassle to assign all that stuff to every military dwarf, but once you have done it, they will never unequip their stuff again, when your armorsmith has again "created a masterpiece!".
not sure what you mean. can I go even more into detail than telling them which colour and which material? can you choose from a list of available armor pieces somewhere?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 05:42:46 am »

not sure what you mean. can I go even more into detail than telling them which colour and which material? can you choose from a list of available armor pieces somewhere?

Specific Armor when assigning equipments, have to do it from equip screen instead of uniform screen.

As for your original problem, I don't know what's happening, are they set inactive = uniformed in 's'chedules? Sometimes during month's end or season's end, they'll inactivate if their military skill aren't high enough, for a moment, then reactivates, and I've not had any issues as long as it's uniformed, instead of civ clothings. Or are you using like iron and copper equipment and dealing with goblins that brings in iron armors? Their equipment decision is made purely based on value and on what's allowed in their uniform.

Forbidding stuffs doesn't helps once it's been assigned, they'll just not equip it. Forbidding things does helps with equipment assignment or for fresh uniforms, though, it just don't works if the equipment's already assigned but not picked up yet.

Is the uniform set to replace clothings? Sometimes there're too much stuff to put things on properly, which part of armors give the most problem? The helmets and the boots?

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 03:49:46 pm »

oh I never realized that you can choose from a list  :o
and (P) is also new to me. this could be fun  8)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 06:25:25 am »

One of my swordsmasters lost a hand recently because he insisted on wearing a crappy glove instead of a steel gauntlet- even though they were told to wear exact armour! It even had them ticked for the correct armour! Metal my arse... I set them to replace, rather than wear over. Really weird though, never had this problem before. Oh well, you can fight just as well with one hand in DF anyway...
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.