Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (PC) arcadey fishing games  (Read 2310 times)

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(PC) arcadey fishing games
« on: August 12, 2013, 02:10:30 pm »

Hello, a few years ago I used to play fishing champ (mmo fishing game). I liked it but now it's only available in korean language. Since I don't want to learn a new language to play it, I'd like to find another one. I found fishing superstars on android but it lacks depth...
Here are the features I'm hoping for (not mandatory) :
  • Arcade gameplay
  • Multiplayer
  • Random fishes/items/whatever (I like random)
  • RPG mechanics

Also PC fishing games in general.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 02:14:49 pm by bQt31 »

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Re: (PC) arcadey fishing games
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 02:26:31 pm »

PTW, I have not played a decent fishing game since black bass(I think?)on the SNES.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 02:28:41 pm »

I am not here to help you but instead lament you for making me realize I am old. My first fishing game was Basstour an old Dos Shareware fishing game. It still holds up great if you download it and use Dosbox, or there is a version made to run in Win 95, but it only has one lake and I'm not sure if all of the controls work well. It was pretty awesome, and I think other than Sega Bass Fishing, it was my favorite ever. Unfortunately, the author (Dick?) Olsen stopped making it in 1993 and I don't know how to contact him. Honestly, I would fund the production of a modern remake myself or through KS.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 04:07:26 pm »

Wasn't there some game called Fisher/Fishing King or something for the... gameboy or gba?  That was sort of like Pokemon in an explore the world, gotta catch em all sort of way?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 05:29:21 pm »

Wasn't there some game called Fisher/Fishing King or something for the... gameboy or gba?  That was sort of like Pokemon in an explore the world, gotta catch em all sort of way?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_River_King_video_games

This is probably the specific one you're thinking of: http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/eshop/legend_of_the_river_king_gbc
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 08:24:37 pm »

Oh my god, I love you.  I read about it in a magazine at least 13 years ago and had been wondering if it was something I made up entirely.  Now I can finally go play them :D
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 09:35:15 pm »

I can only remember two fishing games.

Well, four(?), but the other two I only vaguely remember and they might have actually been one game.

One was Trophy Bass 2, which I recently reacquired to try again.  It's great.  Reasonably realistic behavior and such, though occasionally overzealous on some of the difficulty settings (If snags are on, you will snag every time you hit the bottom, regardless of your lure or rig.) but lots of fun.

The other was Reel Fishing, by the same company that made the River Kings games.  It put you in front of a very nicely painted or possibly photographed/rendered, I don't remember river vista, and you fished.  The music was relaxing as fuck, you could fall asleep playing that game.  Unfortunately it was all about river fishing for trout and char and that kind of stuff and fuckthatbigmouthbassmuricamuricamurica
Shoes...

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 09:53:30 pm »

The only fishing game I remember was a rather old game called Champion Bass. It was surprisingly good. There were a couple different modes including a sandbox and championship. The sandbox would let you explore various places with a boat and fish all you want, while the championship locked you into a small area with a time limit to catch the biggest fish you could. 

Strangely it had a mix of both arcadey and realistic mechanics. The fish had different behaviours and would favour certain locations and different lures but the actual fishing was mechanically somewhat arcade. It had very loose RPG mechanics including unlockable lures and I think rods. Not sure if it had any multiplayer. 
I'm not sure if the other "Bass" games people are talking about in this thread are part of the same series but I think I wouldn't mind playing an updated version even if it's just purely for nostalgia.

The main reason why I remember it because some of the fish could grow to some pretty terrifying levels. The massive fish were also dark and had red eyes which used to scare the crap out of me.

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 03:31:21 am »

Not much then, thanks anyway