3c: Orc Mode
3c: Kobold Mode
3d: Dwarf Mode
3d: Orc Mode
3d: Kobold Mode
3e: Dwarf Mode
3e: Orc Mode
3e: Kobold Mode
I never had such crashes. Random ones, maybe, but nothing that broke a save/world completely.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Crashes - ONE DOWN (add-spatter is fixed)  (Read 3667 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Crashes - ONE DOWN (add-spatter is fixed)
« on: August 13, 2013, 06:13:02 am »

I got 4 crashes myself, always on embark, when the "strike the earth" message appears. Reloading the world and embarking again causes no issues. I got 5 reports about crashes with the current version, which troubles me greatly. I got 3 saves that I played and recreated the crashes, without getting further to the source of the problem.

I plant to re-read my changelog, get a clean copy of MDF V.3e and start removing things I suspect, then I will release it again. "V.3e-". I will then see if the reports are still coming in, and if people still get crashes.

In the meantime, if anyone has any idea about the source, or any more crashes, please report here. Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 03:42:47 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

xaldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crashes - Collect reports here please.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 10:21:02 am »

Interestingly enough I don't really crash on embark, I crash on world gen. It gets to point where it is done with the years and going to write it out and bam crash to desktop. Minimal information in logs too to work with. I get it in regular DF as well but more often with Masterwork.

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 08:41:25 pm »

If you remove cls from the dfhack.ini file you will see dfhack is spitting out errors on loading. I think some of the stuff you added may not be working correctly.

I have some 3c saves that crash reliably, but I can't find the cause, it isn't dfhack, and still happens if I confine everyone to burrows.

EDIT: I have a number of guys who have stats far above their max. For instance one of my sargents have 7294/5000 strength. I know there is a bug with dwarf therapist not showing stats correctly if it is open for more than one gaming session, this is not that. All of the guys who have the stat bug have been transformed into a different caste, legionnaire for the militia commander, earthbound, ect. It is quite possible this could be causing the crashes I have been having, due to internal game math expecting a number no higher than 5000, divide by zero errors and such. Also, the guys with the stat bug has things like "He is incredibly muscular." listed twice in their unit description.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:00:24 pm by silentdeth »
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 03:39:48 am »

Yeah, I think the dwarfnames and makeworship cause problems, at least they cause errorlogs in dfhack, because they run on startup, not in a loaded world.. shouldnt cause crashes, but I removed/disabled them for the next release, just in case.

If all else fails I have to downgrade 1-2 versions and port content step by step.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

bragos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 09:56:23 am »

i also had a few issues with the game chrashing fairly predictable, ie same moment after a save. Usualy close to (or maybe at) the change of a season.

I think this is related to the entering / leaving of certain wildlife onto the map.
This has been happening in all versions 3.x om MW for me, and i've often been able to get around it by agressively killing the wildlive between the autosave and the chrash moment.
I think i have a save which has a immenent chrash at home, and can upload it somewhere in the weekend.

Thanks for the awesome work btw!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 10:14:12 am »

Added poll.

I am currently considering releasing a V.3f with new additions, but some deactivated dfhack scripts (because its either them or the magic system), then keeping it online for a while and wait for crash/not-crash reports. Considering on the feedback and the poll above I would then either continue developement, or downgrade to 3d or even 3c and start anew.

So please, the best thing you can do is vote on the poll. You can tick as many options as you like, I just need to see when the crashes started, and if they are race-specific. If you did not play orcs/kobolds, dont tick it. Thank you for the help.

If you noticed yourself on which version the problem started for you (3c was fine, but I noticed I had problems sinc 3d an onward, or similar infots, you can post here as well)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 10:15:51 am by Meph »

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile

I recall having had a crash-dead end on a Kobold Camp save of latest version (I play only Kobolds), but I tried just a few times, so I'd abstain my vote for now I'll hesitantly vote yes for Kobold V3E.
Really, I usually never get that far. I spend a lot of time scratching my head on above ground-town planning. :-[
Also, may I ask, have you added a new headwear for kobolds for the next patch?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:25:41 am by Apani »
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The random crashes option is misleading, as few people really go back and try to recreate the exact circumstances to narrow down the cause to something that can be repeated. For instance, you crash because some buggy wildlife enters the, so you reload the seasonal save and the next time you get a different type of wildlife entering the map, thus no crash. It may seem to have been a random crash to you, but had you used a save that was closer to the the crash it would have probably repeated itself consistently.

Edit:
Crashes I've had in 3c:

Repeatable, traced to tweak plugin.
(multiple) Repeatable, traced to dfhack
Repeatable, not dfhack related, happens when orders are set to gather refuse from outside, refuse includes frost giants, warlocks, and their mounts.
Repeatable, not dfhack related, doesn't crash after confining all citizens to meeting hall, still crashes 2 game days later if citizens are release, still after 7 game days, does not crash after 14 game days when citizens are released.
Repeatable, not dfhack related, still crashes when citizens are confined to burrow, cause unknown.
Observation, crashes increase in frequency the older a world gets.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 12:03:34 pm by silentdeth »

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Only ever crashed in dwarf mode during world gen in .d .

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The game always crashes if you exit the choose an embark location screen and try to generate a world using advanced parameters.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have had crashes once in a while in dwarf mode, but my last save in those cases  has appeared okay.

My main issue (and this may be DF, not mod-related) is my saves are sort of not what I expect. The seasonal saves are fine, but if I save via the quit route, I don't appear to get a save in the "current" folder. Ever. This means I have to quit right after a seasonal save to not see a rollback. This also may contribute to the crash issue since I tend to just leave the game paused instead of quitting. I suspect that might result in some bloat or memory leak issue.

On the other hand, I have not yet seen a crash (crosses fingers) in Orc mode, which I just started messing with yesterday. I also put LAA on the file which I had not done before, so that might be a factor. I have 8gb ram. That's a lot more room than the non-LAA limit (2gb?)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is happening to me in version e too.  If I do get past world gen after using advanced settings, it'll crash if I tried to play in dwarf mode.

I may be a bit superstitious, but it doesn't crash as much if I keep the dfhack window active while the world is loading.  I'll edit this post if I find something else.

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have had crashes once in a while in dwarf mode, but my last save in those cases  has appeared okay.

My main issue (and this may be DF, not mod-related) is my saves are sort of not what I expect. The seasonal saves are fine, but if I save via the quit route, I don't appear to get a save in the "current" folder. Ever. This means I have to quit right after a seasonal save to not see a rollback. This also may contribute to the crash issue since I tend to just leave the game paused instead of quitting. I suspect that might result in some bloat or memory leak issue.

On the other hand, I have not yet seen a crash (crosses fingers) in Orc mode, which I just started messing with yesterday. I also put LAA on the file which I had not done before, so that might be a factor. I have 8gb ram. That's a lot more room than the non-LAA limit (2gb?)

If you start a world called region1, whenever the game saves it saves to that file. If you load region1-spr-103 and play until winter 105, the save will still be in region1-spr-103, and you will get files like region1-spr-103-win-105.  The <save name>-season-year are the backups. Whichever save you load, is what things are saved to.

Vabalokis

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McKneeGrow
    • View Profile

I only ever crash on world generating

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have had 3 crashes in a row about same time last entry in error log each time reads...

*** Error(s) finalizing the interaction SPIRIT_BEAR_KOBOLD
Unrecognized Caste Token in Body Transformation Effect: SPIRIT_BEAR_KOBOLD:MALE

I will check couple more times seem to have save about min before now.
Pages: [1] 2 3