Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Roll to Gods: Turn 4: End of an era  (Read 4218 times)

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
Roll to Gods: Turn 4: End of an era
« on: August 14, 2013, 07:02:18 am »

Rules and OOC discussion belong in The Other Thread.
Don't 'post to watch', please.  Use the Notify button.

In the beginning, there was only the Red King.  The Red King slept... and dreamed.

He dreamed a strange and wondrous dream, filled with many people.  Sometimes these people would sleep, and dream as well.  And in these dreams there were yet more dreamers, dreaming of more dreamers still.

Each dreamer's dream was less real than the world from which they dreamed.  Less grand and less detailed, but less limited as well.

In some of these dreams, or 'worlds', if you will, the people have learned to share dreams.  This is how it came to be that a being named Azahaam invited nine others to join in his dream of a new universe.  A universe where they would be like gods; or even BE gods.

So Azahaam dreamt of an endless black void filled with stars.  And the stars were his eyes.
And he dreamt of two orbs orbiting each other and together orbiting a star he called the Sun, for it would serve the same purpose as its namesake; to provide light and warmth to the life that he expected would soon grow upon the orbs.

Both orbs were composed mainly of rock, gravel, sand, clay and dust, but the larger of the two he made smooth and covered with a thick layer of fresh water and a mix of common gases.  Because the water flows freely on this one, and its axis is tilted with respect to its orbit, the ocean quickly grew gigantic waves and its skies grew stormy with cyclones.

The gravity between the orbs cause tides in the oceans of the larger, but warps the smaller, causing constant friction that keeps it mostly molten; rocky islands floating on a molten lava sea.

Azahaam decided that the new world was ready, and he called the other gods by name:

1. The Consequence, a strange deity of invisible justice.
2. The Herald, manipulative bringer of the end times.
3. Gorgamast the Unending, chooser of the slain, protector of the living.
4. Acheron, who creates strength through adversity.
5. The Shifter, forger of the first flame.
6. Eskcanta, the fickle impish trickster goddess.
7. Dark Lord Nerjin, the gardener of fate.
8. Argentia, the silver wolf goddess of protection.
9. Holden, the electric scholar of all things.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:46:34 am by DreamThorn »
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Gods: Main thread
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 07:02:43 am »

Planetary statuses as at the end of turn 4:

A: Incognita (size 20):

Stormy seas, cyclones, high vulcanism.  Atmosphere is cloudy with steam, dust, smoke and volcanic gases.  Many regions contain metal-rich mutergy-emanating meteoric mountains with Celestial Iron in their cores.

Regions:
A1: Central region of the unnamed mountainous and icy northern continent.  Site of the Blood Thicket and inhabited by Centipods. Adjacent to A2-4.
A2: Snowy pumice plains with occasional clear days.  Adjacent to A1 and the ocean.
A3-4: Three more unnamed mountainous icy regions.  Adjacent to A1 and the ocean.
A5-8: An unnamed continent of four mountainous crabby-jungle regions.  Adjacent to the ocean.  A8 is also adjacent to A9.
A9: A semi-tropical archipelago adjacent to A8 and A10.  Contains some meteoric mountains.  Nuclear bacteria and crabby-grass are here.
A10: A desert region containing more than the usual amount of meteoric mountains.  Adjacent to A9, A11 and the ocean.
A11: A lifeless mountainous desert region with a few meteoric mountains.  Adjacent to A10 and the ocean.
A12: A temperate island with a central crater that contains yet another meteoric mountain.  Crab plants, plant crabs and jet-crabs are common here.
A13-14: Ocean regions surrounding A12.  Jet-crabs are common here.
A15: The Shifting Isles? - Five meteoric islands arranged in a pentagon and connected in a pentacle by intricate underwater features.  Pillars of pure VOID focus The Shifter's power here.
A16-18: Argentia's crescent-shaped continent.
Oceans: Cracked, creviced and puckered underwater regions with occasional meteoric mountains. Generic bacteria are here.

B: Oscura (size 10), orbitting Incognita:

Still mostly fluid due to tidal forces and a radioactive core.  Magnetic field is strong and synchronized with that of A, protecting both from solar flares and metallic meteors.

B1: Isle of Light? - Solar powered metal sphere standing on a basalt plain.
B5-7: Igneous extrusive plains with thermovoric silicoid bacteria, lave-worms and rock golem animals.
Oceans: Cracked and flowing lava with occasional floating islands.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:05:30 am by DreamThorn »

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 07:07:07 am »

Chapter 1's objectives:

1. Create regions
2. Populate regions with autotrophic life (e.g. plants)
3. Populate regions with heterotrophic life (e.g. animals)

I will process the first turn starting (at latest) at 15 August 2013, 17:00 GMT+2, which is about 27 hours from now.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:02:34 am by DreamThorn »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 07:16:23 am »

Holden guessed there was no point in meandering about. Clearly, stuff needed doing, and it needed doing fast.

Stir up the core of the moon, strengthen the magnetic field of the satellite to great levels in preparation for things to come.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:48:40 am by Harry Baldman »

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 07:18:39 am »

Argentia surveyed the two lifeless orbs floating in the void, "Now what shall we make of you?" She asked to no-one in specific.  She decided that to aid in the thriving of a variety future life the water must be mobile in the deeps, not just the surface, and a variety of habitats must be available to this end she carved great chasms in the water in some places, but also elevated the surface in others, creating oceanic shelves as well as small Islands

Argentia makes the ocean less uniform

Seeing what Holden was doing, Argentia nodded Good, Good, Life requires relatively stable conditions, which are typically not found within shifting lava worlds
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 07:37:54 am »

The Shifter glanced towards Holden and Argentia, the silvery metal of Its' body shifting into a blue eye, exposing Its' flame. It looked upon the world, at the blue seas of the planet and the red wasteland of the moon, and It formulated a plan.

A number of orbs of molten ore were drawn from the moon and hurled to the earth, some large enough to cause islands to form when they cooled. The sea shuddered and warped from the impacts, but nevertheless, it endured. Any water trying to escape the planet from the impacts was caught by the Shifter and returned. Where the flaming meteors landed, where craters should have been, now rose islands rich in ore, ripe for the future of this world.

Using raw material accessible from the moon, the Shifter makes islands rich in ore and other raw materials scattered about the world.

And thus the Shifter's Gift of Metal was granted, merely waiting for life to receive it. As the Gods worked, the Shifter now waited.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 07:38:43 am »

"Well, isn't this nice!" Acheron mused, staring down at the larger orb with an excited smile. "I wonder what it could use..."

He turned back to face the other gods.

"Say, I've got a plan. Why do something normal? Why do something usual? I rather like the ocean as it is... oh, but don't think I intend for merfolk! No no, nothing so simple! Create pillars of rock if you will, for my creations will dwell on far fancier fare!"

With a flourish, he set to work, weaving golden strands of light ever larger and thicker and more tangled. At last he cast it to the seas below, where it erupted into massive wooden tendrils, writhing like serpents escaping the nest.

When the growth had stopped, a twisting blanket of smooth wooden branches bobbed on the surface, ranging in size from miniscule to gargantuan. Were there anything else on the planet, it might have alighted quite comfortably on the solid plant life beneath it, probably only slightly queasy from the storm's sway over such a massive area.

Create Thicket, a region of living wood floating on the seas.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 07:39:04 am »

The Consequence stood upon one of the thousands of shifting islands upon the surface of the molten world, deftly walking between them right as they would sink and consume his body in fire with the uncanny grace of one who can clearly foresee the exact moment and nature of an event.
As he looked up and noticed the work of the other gods he smiled wryly, knowing that they had already set about altering the nature of the worlds.
Creation was not his forte however, so The Consequence merely satisfied himself with predicting the endless ebbs and flows of the molten world, all while staring at the stars, and taking in their secrets.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 08:09:15 am »

What happens when you go beyond? When you go so far away from the concepts of humanity, sanity, or even the basic idea of a consistent reality, when you go truly beyond the universe you know and into the cosmos you don't. Within the cosmos there is no boundaries. So what happens, when you drift so far from your natural place?

Who knows. But we do know what drifts in.

In the darkness, there is a brief flare. This is not a pleasant light, but a haze of colors that merely tints the darkness. Three colors. Red, green, blue.

"Herald... you can hear me. It'd be nice to hear you too."
The voice that was profoundly red was profoundly seductive. It crawled along and infested you. In the color, you could see whatever you so desired. Anything at all...

"You have managed to get yourself invited, correct?"
This voice was pleasant, and maybe a little charming. If you looked into the color, you could see a single green eye, darting around maniacally.

"The cold, Herald. The cold."
This voice was slow, repetitive in it's inflections. Within it's colors you couldn't see anything except maybe snowflakes and ice forming.

A voice formed out of the darkness. "I am here. I am yours to command, but do remember I'm not exactly your loyal soldier."

"And why would we be in need of such a thing when we have you?"

"No need for flattery. What do you require of me?"

"This universe dies. All perishes to entropy, the chill, the slow death. You ensure it."

"But the master of this area won't like that, would he? We managed to trick him into inviting you, but he's going to be suspicious if you do not do anything."

"I thought he is asleep. Surely he won't notice me. I am very good at staying quiet."

"So you are, you definitely are, but a dreamer knows a lot of things. Maybe a bit about us."

"Let's just say he'd rather us not be present at this current moment if he had a say in this. But he doesn't. So, please, try to disguise yourself."

"Alright, I shall try my best."

"Farewell, Herald."

"Bring forth the cold."

"See ya later, sweetie."

And with that, the color was gone.

On the planet, a vague sense of unease. Undetected, unseen, something drifts across the land. Through blind chance or victimless fate, something shakes. Lava shoots up and the plates that form the planet split in two in several places. The water boils, and turns to smoke. Geothermal vents are created. With this, and the relatively stable habitats, should help life along. With life, however, comes death. With death, comes entropy. One could say this was planned well.

Perhaps it was intelligently designed.

Perhaps it was just luck.

No-one's sure.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 10:04:10 am »

No-one's sure.

No-one except of course, The Consequence, who had been stretching his consciousness out into space, and had heard a few vague snippets of the dialogue that the new presence had tried so hard to conceal.
Not enough to be sure...but certainly enough to create suspicion, doubt.

The Consequence focuses his attention upon this strange invader
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 10:24:46 am »

A spindly figure of yellowed bone uncurls itself and examines it's surroundings.

Heh heh, more work to be done!

Gorgamast creates an island in the middle of the ocean and forms it into the perfect cradle for living things to grow in.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 06:51:01 pm »

Create Bacteria and Germs

"The first step to life," came the raspy voice of the dark god "Is the tools to recycle the failure of life."
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 08:12:29 pm »

Eskcanta stares at creation, entranced.  She wanders here and there, drifting with the forces and touching, but not changing, this that and the other thing.

Argentia's action upon the waters gets her attention.

Eskcanta fails to notice the violent impacts and waves caused by Shifter's gift of land into the waters, misinterpreting the sudden change these bring to the ocean currents merely more aspects of Argentia's action.  So too does she think that Thicket, which she barely notices, has come from Argentia's work.  The scattered geothermal vents, the formation of one singular and singularly perfect island (which she barely sees is there), all this and the cumulative changes these effects have upon the seas; glorious does she view Argentia, and gloriously does she apply herself to helping add more variance into the waters.

Odd promenences, small areas of aerie water, regions of radiactivity, smatterings of uncommon earths, eerie caves, a wide range of microenvironments, odd and most obviously unnatural does she call forth in her sudden desire to further and enhance what she believes of Argentia's will.

Eskcanta creates a wide scattering of varied and highly atypical microenvironments throughout the ocean, mostly along the ocean floor; some protectively sealed by rock walls, others directly open to the waters, each of which containing oddities one would not expect to find under the ocean and some of which would not typically be found on a planet at all, from mineral pockets to tiny gas-filled caves and many other singular wondrous weird things.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 01:01:56 am »

Results for Turn 1:

[1][1][1] The Herald, Eskcanta and Argentia all try to shape the ocean bed at the same time, but with differing goals, during a rain of giant radioactive magnetized meteors in a time of great magnetospheric upheaval.  It's a clusterfarce.  The ocean floor is ruptured in many places by massive volcanoes, creating strings of islands and three new continents.

A medium continent forms at the "northern" pole, a small one near the equator and another small one in the southern desert band.  A giant archipelago covers the area between the equatorial and desert continents.

[1] Acheron is the first to create a region, and the first to create life, but he decided to do it during this time of disaster with the hope that this will strengthen this Thicket, as he names it.  Unfortunately, it is struck by one of The Shifter's meteoric mountains, as well as getting stranded on the new "northern" continent.  It doesn't survive long.

[1] Gorgamast creates an island, only to have a meteor fall on it.  It's not quite habitable anymore.

[2] The Shifter pulls out chunks of radioactive plutonium and meteoric iron from the core of the moon and rains these down on the planet, creating several radioactive underwater mountains, studding one region of the desert continent with similarly hazardous mountains and pretty much ruining everyone's day.  The mountains are extremely rich sources of nickel, iron, plutonium and meteoric steel, but also highly magnetized and radioactive.

[5] Holden spins up the core of the moon, aligning and synchronizing it with the magnetic field of the planet.  This creates a strong protective field, protecting the planet from solar flares and metallic meteors.  However, it magnetizes The Shifter's rocks en route to the planet.

[5] Nerjin creates highly adaptable microscopic lifeforms which gets everywhere.  They will serve a crucial role in future life cycles.

[2] The Consequence watches and waits in the shadows.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:43:00 am by DreamThorn »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 01:04:13 am »

Damn it all to oblivion!

CREATE A SPECIES OF PHOTOSYNTHETIC CRUSTACEAN ON MY ISLAND.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 01:33:44 am by Gamerlord »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4