Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what i think the fortress thinks of...  (Read 1396 times)

blazing glory

what i think the fortress thinks of...
« on: August 13, 2013, 04:36:40 am »

(captain of the guard) Sir! the enemy has breached our food stores! and is now consuming every piece of beer fish and meat i fear this maybe the our last hour we tried to wall them out but they got in anyway (mayor) we have two choices then we can either try to call the goblins for help they will come probly and will want to slaughter us but they will have to get through THEM first the other choice is we mine to the caverns and try to wall them out there (captain of the guard) it seems like no choice to me! (mayor) it never is... but it is the only way we can deal with these MIGRANTS!!!

...

:P no doubt a true story more times then we think

blazing glory

Re: what i think the fortress thinks of...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:45:21 pm »

or we can just turn them into !!migrants!!

blazing glory

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 10:21:58 pm »

bump

Urist McSpardbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 10:31:31 pm »

I see Migrants as Dwarves who've yet to serve their time in the militia. Every Crundle-faced midget that dares set foot in my halls is to undergo a period of military training and animal hunting. They first get some danger room and goblin-wrestling time, and then, equipped with their Hunter outfit and some survival skills, they are cast out wide across the map. Those who survive the year are given their own room, as well as a better helmet than the shitty leather hoods they wear; Iron Caps and Cloaks for all survivors! :D

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 11:13:35 pm »

And the veterans get steel swords and caps and become the dread Dwarven Steelfangs. If the bolts don't kill the enemy, the blades will.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 11:44:21 pm »

I can't tell you how many times I've tried in vain to keep my dwarven population below 30. No matter what I set in the init file they don't stop until around 50 or 60. There was one time I just started drafting entire waves and walling them into a small room. Now that there's ghosts that isn't as much of an option, unless I want to display 40 or so slabs of each one.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 12:35:19 am »

Eeh, you can deal with the ghosts by cracking open the room when all inside are dead.  Even a worthless migrant can have a Grave as holdings.

Though I actually tend to like migrants to a point.  I want more dwarves than my starting seven so I'll be taking at least the first two waves, and at that point the population is pretty much going to go up either by migration or baby boom, and migration is significantly more useful.  My forts tend to be sprawling and disorganized, and I build a lot of constructions sooner or later so I can use a lot of unskilled labor: Hauler/mason/mechanic/metalsmith dwarves that build walls and pumps and carry things and thanks to profiled workshops never do anything it's important to have skill at.

And the military is always hiring.

If I have 100 dwarves, 20 of them are full-time soldiers, another 10 are farmers which don't have to start with any skill, and of the remaining 70, probably half are menials (The useful: 4 miners, 2 carpenters, 3 woodcutters, 2 masons, 4 smiths, 3 engravers, 2 stonecrafters, a bonecrafter, a doctor or two, an all-purpose noble, 2 brewers, 2 cooks, a clothier or two, a few medial-production dwarves like potash/lye makers or factory farmers, and if I've got sand and/or fire clay a couple of potters and/or glassmakers).
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.