Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 123277 times)

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 02:43:04 pm »

I already suggested this but...

VIRAL!
Viral as an element? Or as a modifier?
I'd personally like the latter, since it could theoretically allow a massive collaborative rune or someone with a lot of pool to spread a disease that turns people into solid booze dragons.
It would go good as both. I guess that if you say Virus it would be an element, while that if you say Viral is an modifier.
Still, both would really have same effect.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 02:46:01 pm »

VIRAL!
I'd personally like the latter, since it could theoretically allow a massive collaborative rune or someone with a lot of pool to spread a disease that turns people into solid booze dragons.
I WANT THAT NOW.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 02:54:34 pm »

VIRAL!
Agreed! Or a plague that turns people into infectious blankets that turn people into infectious blankets.
I WANT THAT NOW.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 03:00:00 pm »

VIRAL!
Agreed! Or a plague that turns people into infectious blankets that turn people into infectious blankets.
Or a plague that turns weapons into cylinder cats.
I WANT THAT NOW.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 03:04:22 pm »

VIRAL!
Or a plague that turns weapons into cylinder cats.
I WANT THAT NOW.
Only if we can have the internet as a element.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2013, 03:07:33 pm »

Idea: A "Reverse" word and perhaps words of a similar idea.

The "Reverse" word would cause the next (or maybe previous, if you wanted to shake things up) word to be the opposite of its normal meaning. If placed at the end (or beginning) of the word, it might cause the whole effect to reverse.

For instance, assuming English adjective-noun order:
Gold Reverse Sphere would make a golden tetrahedron.
Flesh Reverse Cat might make a dog.
Reverse Fire Cone would cast cone of cold.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 03:08:37 pm »

What would reverse solid booze giant lizard be?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 03:09:44 pm »

A small coffee fish with intestinal problems.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 03:11:51 pm »

A small coffee fish with intestinal problems.
jellyfish

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 03:17:19 pm »

The "Reverse" word would cause the next (or maybe previous, if you wanted to shake things up) word to be the opposite of its normal meaning. If placed at the end (or beginning) of the word, it might cause the whole effect to reverse.

Some words just don't have opposites.
Some words have more than one opposites.
Many words have debatable opposites.
Some opposites have cultural, religious, and ethical meaning, differing from person to person.

In conclusion, I don't think this is such a good idea, as it will be prone to misunderstandings, and be confusing. Additionally, it will eliminate the reason for a lot of words to exist. (Why have Heaven if you have the opposite for Hell?)

The virus thing sounds cool though. As long as you have some way to counter it.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 03:25:32 pm »

Some words just don't have opposites.
Some words have more than one opposites.
Many words have debatable opposites.
Some opposites have cultural, religious, and ethical meaning, differing from person to person.

In conclusion, I don't think this is such a good idea, as it will be prone to misunderstandings, and be confusing. Additionally, it will eliminate the reason for a lot of words to exist. (Why have Heaven if you have the opposite for Hell?)

The virus thing sounds cool though. As long as you have some way to counter it.

I actually considered such a word and nixed it on basically these grounds.  Most of the interesting reverses can just be done with different words, anyway.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 03:26:33 pm »

Thearpox:

1. It's up to interpretation. Remember the Control Rings?

2. More than one way to skin a cat. This system is full of redundant cat-skinning methods already.

3. Reverse Virus. Ha ha.
Sig

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 03:27:09 pm »

What would reverse solid booze giant lizard be?
A giant ghost-like booze lizard?
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 03:46:32 pm »

PTW
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 04:23:07 pm »

What about re-instating the arena Zentol, the one that didn't break all the rules?

So, words for holy / darkness, then words for each that take the physical form.

So Dark Sword would be something like Irony's tounge blade from the arena days back when I either had wood legs or a plantstaff, whereas Zentol Sword would... not really have a lot to do with swords. It would act like Zentol as regular, maybe with a sword bend- missing an arm? Here's a new one with really sharp fingernails.

IMO, Holy should be just as... eldritch as Zentol was, maybe just less overt. Sort of how in D&D a Lawful Good character can still do atrocious things if they are led to believe what they are doing is right.

As far as elements... hmm.

How about Fat / Grease, and maybe Skin? When I handcraft homunculi, I like to be exact.

Oil / Coal could be interesting as well.

Foam. Solid foam being nothing more than a packing peanuts, or maybe a memory foam mattress.

Cardboard, when paper isn't serious enough.

Salt?

Plasma. Either as a form or element. It's like fire, but more EXTREEEEEEEME.

---

Similar to Clockwork in that results are varied even with different single uses:
Electronics.
Food (could work this way)

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 65