Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 125763 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #585 on: December 17, 2013, 05:08:55 pm »

So I've changed the fact that you had to use inlays on each and every body part. Now, you can give yourself a lip ring and you're done. Basically, I did the "it effects lower parts too" so you can still turn just your hand into a sword or something, but you can also turn your whole body into stuff. The fact that it has to be solid to not just kill you should prevent incorporeal dickery.

As it is now, to do it all you need to do is summon your insert and then engrave and insert it on the next round. Two turns. Fast and simple, but with the added benefit that now there's a literal weak spot that someone could attack or try to remove to cause you to revert.

Now everything on that list of stuff I posted can be done within a turn or two and has reduced complexity.

Opinions? I'm working on targeting words now.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 17, 2013, 05:27:06 pm »

That definitely seems to be better than the former system. Doesn't remove much intuitiveness and adds a way to be countered.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 17, 2013, 05:50:41 pm »

mm, looking back at it, the only reason i didnt like it was because it would have taken a while, but the system seems fine anyway.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 17, 2013, 05:52:17 pm »

I'm trying to think of some really strange targeting words, like "Avoid". A caster would point his death laser finger and watch as it CURVES AWAY from the intended target! Maybe also stuff like Heatseeking, or maybe even Magic or Potency seeking, like the accursed blue turtle shells?
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 17, 2013, 05:57:00 pm »

Magicseeking would be quite interesting if it prioritizes other spells over their casters, acing as a good counterspell targeting.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 17, 2013, 06:13:49 pm »

My vision is it would target things exuding magic- it would practically ignore a magically-created Wooden Stick, but aggressively seek a wooden stick engraved with "Force Laser', and even more aggressively target the actual force laser.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 17, 2013, 06:18:31 pm »

Perhaps Aether spells could overload the spells they hit so that it potentially screws over its own caster and Philosopher's Stone spells could absorb spells they collide with, empowering the spell if it is used to counter?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #592 on: December 17, 2013, 06:20:05 pm »

As it is, the targeting words are going to be broken down into if they are Dex dependent (ie you use dex to aim, such as firing from your finger tips or eyes) Will dependent (Homing, appearing next to someone, etc) and Not stat dependent (Magic seeking, heat seeking, things which find their targets or move in ways that aren't consciously controlled. 

Dex stuff is mostly all the same thing, as far as I can think. It's just where it comes from.  Will has more possibilities and not stat based has some possibilities for strange stuff. It's a bit hard to think of stuff thats very varied though, mostly because in fiction and such it's usually just some form of shooting from hands or mouth or fingers or staff or whatever.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 17, 2013, 06:25:10 pm »

Hmm, Heatseeking and magic seeking maybe could be done with other words. Like, for example:

FireFromHand ArcaneMagic Sphere Attracts Heat. This would both the missile and the target to be attracted to each other.

If you want it to avoid targets which are hot, you could say:

FireFromHand ArcaneMagic Sphere Repels Heat. The opposite of the former.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 17, 2013, 06:29:58 pm »

What about a word that fires the projectile from where the user was last turn?

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 17, 2013, 06:42:09 pm »

Yeah, but it's not acting upon the other compared to the very long combo you've got, and with reactions in place, a player could "throw" magic, or even redirect the missile.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #596 on: December 17, 2013, 11:46:22 pm »

As I've been working through and thinking about this, I've thought of something that might be interesting: Action words.

In the old game there was a degree of being able to move shit with your mind, namely through a complex series of words that I think only Null ever actually used. I wanted to have that in this, and this was the best way I could think of. Basically, it would be like this:

They would basically be verbs, where as the substances and forms are nouns and the modifiers are adjectives.

When you used them, you would do an automatic will roll to target them; if you failed, they automatically target you.

The words themselves would be things like "Jump" "push" "pull" "lift" "crush" and so on.

Jump would cause whatever is targeted with it to be launched into the air, letting people leap around.

Push, pull and lift could be used to move objects or go all jedi on fools (Target would get a strength roll to resist)

Crush could, well, crush things. Though it probably would only crush things to a certain degree. Crushing stone and steel would probably be out of the question without a pretty big roll over the potency score.

What do you think?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 17, 2013, 11:55:06 pm »

Do eet.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 17, 2013, 11:57:36 pm »

How about a "cast" word? Basically, what the words after the "cast" considered to be used by whoever the spell hits.
So if someone used "Beam Cast Arcane ScatterShot Nearest" at someone near someone else, if the beam hits, the shotgun blast will be directed to the person near them, starting a conflict between the two.
If someone used "Ichor Mortar Cast RedDeath Beam Nearest" to hit someone, the resulting red death beam would then be fired from the remains of the victim and be able to hit enemies the original caster may not have had line of sight to.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #599 on: December 18, 2013, 12:13:21 am »

How about a "cast" word? Basically, what the words after the "cast" considered to be used by whoever the spell hits.
So if someone used "Beam Cast Arcane ScatterShot Nearest" at someone near someone else, if the beam hits, the shotgun blast will be directed to the person near them, starting a conflict between the two.
If someone used "Ichor Mortar Cast RedDeath Beam Nearest" to hit someone, the resulting red death beam would then be fired from the remains of the victim and be able to hit enemies the original caster may not have had line of sight to.
Let me see if I can guess what the exact first blind spell using this would be.

"Fire cast wolf cast cast."

And then I cry softly to myself.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 65