Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 125518 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #600 on: December 18, 2013, 12:25:44 am »

-snip-
Sounds cool.

]
Let me see if I can guess what the exact first blind spell using this would be.
"Fire cast wolf cast cast."
And then I cry softly to myself.
Oh come on. How many times did we cast blind spells with the same word in it three times?

But yeah, wile it would be neat, some uses of the word would be tough.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 18, 2013, 12:26:23 am »

Actually, it wouldn't do that much with the two casts since the lack of any other words after the second and third casts wouldn't have any noticeable effect so hopefully, it'll be more difficult to make a wolf clusterfuck since the spells would be:
Initial: "Fire cast (wolf (cast (cast))" - Makes a fire that casts a spell
Cast[1]: "wolf cast (cast)" - May not do anything since the wolf has no material
Cast[2]: "cast" - Won't do anything

So a triple fire wolf clusterfuck would have to be "Fire wolf cast fire wolf cast fire wolf"
Initial: "Fire wolf cast ((fire wolf cast fire wolf))" - Makes a fire wolf that casts a spell
Cast[1]: "fire wolf cast (fire wolf)" - Makes a fire wolf that casts a spell
Cast[2]: "fire wolf" - Makes a fire wolf that cries upon realizing it can't cast anything
Of course, at that point, it would be more efficient just to say "Fire wolf" three times.

An alternate option is to have the potency of what is struck be used. Thus, the only things affected would have to be able to cast in the first place, so something such as a fire wolf that cannot use spells would not be able to.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 18, 2013, 12:33:24 am »

Maybe we could have a "same" word for things like Engrave and Cast, if we got enough words like that.

E.g, "Gold Sword Engrave Same" would make a golden sword that had "Gold Sword" engraved on it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 18, 2013, 12:38:26 am »

-snip-
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 18, 2013, 10:10:28 am »

Maybe we could have a "same" word for things like Engrave and Cast, if we got enough words like that.

E.g, "Gold Sword Engrave Same" would make a golden sword that had "Gold Sword" engraved on it.

So a Perplexception word?

One of the things I wanted to try in Pit was to change "concept" words into more modification spells if a form wasn't attached to them.  For example, if someone said "repair flesh" in the current Pit, then they'd just get a lump of flesh.  I was considering changing it so that saying that would actually repair flesh in front of you (or targeted with an appropriate targeting word) to form more of a conceptual spell than the physical manifestation spell that most Pit spells are.   (As a counter, "repair flesh staff" would get you a staff that healed flesh it touched.)

I didn't change it in Pit because I thought of it halfway.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 18, 2013, 10:26:08 am »

On a system where there are actul verbs, like Angle's version of Perplexicon, that would work.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 18, 2013, 11:13:47 am »

The whole system is modular- why can't the words be?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #607 on: December 18, 2013, 11:49:15 am »

Unfortunately that would be really hard to balance because you'd be having one word potentially stand in for several, including some that are very high level. So either "Same" becomes so high level it's useless to most people or it breaks the potency score system by letting people basically use it to double the power of their spells. Because it works great within the context of "engrave same"  (engrave is another word I don't want to add because it completely removes the time buffer that enchanting should have)  but what happens when someone says

"Red Death Explode around Same" ?

Either it doesn't work and no one will ever figure out what same means in a blind game or it doubles the spell and suddenly people are using same as a general booster.

So a Perplexception word?

One of the things I wanted to try in Pit was to change "concept" words into more modification spells if a form wasn't attached to them.  For example, if someone said "repair flesh" in the current Pit, then they'd just get a lump of flesh.  I was considering changing it so that saying that would actually repair flesh in front of you (or targeted with an appropriate targeting word) to form more of a conceptual spell than the physical manifestation spell that most Pit spells are.   (As a counter, "repair flesh staff" would get you a staff that healed flesh it touched.)

So basically let the intent effect things more then the literal reading from before?

On a system where there are actul verbs, like Angle's version of Perplexicon, that would work.

The whole system is modular- why can't the words be?
I have no idea what angle's system was like or what you're talking about.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: December 18, 2013, 11:55:48 am »

So basically let the intent effect things more then the literal reading from before?

Sort of.  It's more giving the presence or lack of the form word more control over the final result than before.  Intent would still be a bit limited- if you said "flesh repair" and wanted a piece of flesh that repaired things, you would be out of luck.  Such a thing would require a form.  It's basically there to increase the difficulty of getting things like control staves- no control of any element because you said "foo control."  It'd have to have a third word for form.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: December 18, 2013, 12:01:53 pm »

In Angle's system there were words classification and a syntax.

For example, you could say:

-Create ToTheLeftOfMe Rock.

This creates a rock to th leeft of you, and if you say then:

-Create ToTheLeftOfMe InFrontOfMe.

It will create a rock in front of you.

Then:

-Destroy InFrontOfMe.

Will destroy the last rock created.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #610 on: December 18, 2013, 02:31:16 pm »

Sort of.  It's more giving the presence or lack of the form word more control over the final result than before.  Intent would still be a bit limited- if you said "flesh repair" and wanted a piece of flesh that repaired things, you would be out of luck.  Such a thing would require a form.  It's basically there to increase the difficulty of getting things like control staves- no control of any element because you said "foo control."  It'd have to have a third word for form.

Fair enough. Though I don't know if I even have a repair word in this one....

Anyways, that seems more like a DMing choice then a system choice. You can either interpret "Repair flesh" as a spell that, like a single word spell, appears in front of the person and repairs flesh. Or as a flesh that repairs things. or as an incomplete spell.

In Angle's system there were words classification and a syntax.

For example, you could say:

-Create ToTheLeftOfMe Rock.

This creates a rock to th leeft of you, and if you say then:

-Create ToTheLeftOfMe InFrontOfMe.

It will create a rock in front of you.

Then:

-Destroy InFrontOfMe.

Will destroy the last rock created.
I may have to look into that to see how it turned out for him, but defining syntax seems to be  a dangerous thing to do in a blind game. Because it would make understanding things that much harder, especially when you have to do things in a specific order to make them work.

I suggested a "Ward" word that basically acted as a trigger earlier. It used the syntax "Trigger Ward Response" in So Fire Ward Water" would mean that if fire got within a certain distance of the caster, the ward would trigger and create water.

But people didn't like the idea because they said no one would be able to figure it out.

Hmm though really the current system can do most of that. It can't do the middle one, the Create totheleftofme infrontofme one, but it can do the other two.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 02:41:01 pm by piecewise »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 18, 2013, 03:53:42 pm »

It was really difficult for players to figure things out. Angle eventually had to say that there was a word order and syntax, because invalid sentences filled the gaps with random words, creating a lot of confusion. And we were even given a properly formed sentence at the start.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #612 on: December 18, 2013, 04:07:54 pm »

It was really difficult for players to figure things out. Angle eventually had to say that there was a word order and syntax, because invalid sentences filled the gaps with random words, creating a lot of confusion. And we were even given a properly formed sentence at the start.
Yeah, thats the fear. Because I want this to work both where the words are known and where they aren't. Everything has to be interchangeable enough that basically, no matter the order it has to be doable in some way.

That way when some guy decides he's just gonna try 10 random words it can actually make a thing. A stupid, weird, thing, but a thing.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 18, 2013, 04:24:07 pm »

Yes, of course.

Science in Angle's game was impossible because not only you couldn't figure things out, but you were given incorrect information. I managed to find a patter in the second round and could do science that way, but just because I already knew how it worked.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #614 on: December 18, 2013, 11:00:55 pm »

I've added several action words. Basically, the ones in there so far are either  some form of Telekinesis or a buff of one kind or another. Now people who want to play melee will actually have a use for words, since they can utter a few before fighting and suddenly they're running on walls and punching stuff like bruce lee with rocket fists.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 65