Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 123276 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #615 on: December 19, 2013, 03:16:02 pm »

These are the action words I have so far.

Actions
Action words allow the user to influence the environment and enhance their actions. Used alone or with other actions, action words effect the user. If targeted, they can effect others and other objects. If used as part of a spell, they effect whatever the spell is making,if anything. Ie, if the jump word is used alone, it allows the user to jump much higher. If used with a spell to make something it will cause that object to be hurled up into the air upon creation. The duration of the effects of these words is equal to  how many success over the potency check the caster rolls. For example, if a caster used words that added up to a 3 potency check and he rolled 5 successes, the effects would last two turns/ two full rounds of combat. If the caster rolls exactly the number of successes needed, it still counts as 1 turn/round of combat. In order for it to count as using the same word multiple times, they must all be said at the same time. You can't say it one turn, and then say it again next turn to have the affect stack. It simply cancels out the older affect

Jump
If used on the caster or person or creature, this word allows them to jump much higher and to leap about using dex checks. Multiple uses of the word allows them to jump even higher and further. They don't take any sort of fall damage while this is active assuming they land on their feet. If used when making something, it causes that object to be thrown high into the air upon its creation and then to fall back to the ground.

Run
If used on the caster or other creature or person, this word allows them to move much faster then normal and to run in ways a normal person couldn't, such as up walls or across the ceiling. Dex checks may be used for more complex actions, such as running quickly across complex or complicated spaces. While active, the character gets +1 success on any speed check for each time this word is used. If used 3 times, +3 for example. If used during the creation of something, it causes that thing to go skidding off across the ground, up walls and generally fly around like its got a rocket taped to it.

Push
If used on a caster, creature or other person it allows them to telekinetically push  and throw things using will checks. Larger, heavier objects and higher speed or further pushes increase the difficulty. Extra uses of the word make checks easier. If used during the making of a spell, the created object is thrown off away from the caster upon its creation.

Pull
The same as Push, but pulling.

Crush
If used on a caster, creature or other person, it allows them to telekinetically crush things. The more difficult it is to crush, the more difficult the will check to do it. If used against creatures or players, it is an endurace vs Will roll. Using the the word multiple times makes the roll easier. Used during the creation of a spell, it causes the created thing to be crushed and broken upon creation.

Strike
If used on a caster, creature or other person it greatly increases the force of their blows, either with a weapon or unarmed, to the point that they become inhumanly powerful, yet don't damage the user. +2 successes on strength checks for attacking for every time word is used. If used while creating an object, that object immediately attempts to attack the nearest person, with a strength equal to the potency check used to make it.

Bend
Like Push, but allows the user to freely manipulate things.

Focus
Increases Will (will expand)

Empower
Increases pool (will expand)

Endure
Increases Endurance (will expand)

Opinions/ ideas?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 19, 2013, 03:27:22 pm »

Things like "accelerate" and "alert," of course.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #617 on: December 19, 2013, 04:15:59 pm »

Run increases speed, so I'm not sure what accelerate would do.

Alert makes sense for awareness

Not gonna have a potency increase word though. I'm sure you can guess why if you think about it for a second.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 19, 2013, 04:23:53 pm »

Magical singularity!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 19, 2013, 05:09:34 pm »

Oh. I thought it was more of a qualitative than stat thing.
What would something for Agility be? Jitter?

Not gonna have a potency increase word though. I'm sure you can guess why if you think about it for a second.
GEE I WONDER WHY.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #620 on: December 19, 2013, 05:36:50 pm »

Oh. I thought it was more of a qualitative than stat thing.
What would something for Agility be? Jitter?

GEE I WONDER WHY.

It does both really. You go full sonic.

Also, I don't think we have an agility stat. Speed is basically that.

A potency boosting word would be like in Elder scrolls how you could brew potions of "Enhance skill"  and enhance alchemy, which let you brew a better potion, which let you enhance it further, when let you brew better, etc etc to the point where you could make potions of agility that let you jump so high you exited the sky box or of a weapon skill that caused the game to crash whenever you hit something.

In other words, hilarious, but broken as hell.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 19, 2013, 05:42:09 pm »

and enhancing pool doesn't?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 19, 2013, 05:46:18 pm »

It does both really. You go full sonic.

Also, I don't think we have an agility stat. Speed is basically that.
Neat and Oh, I must have been thinking of some of the spin-offs.

A potency boosting word would be like in Elder scrolls how you could brew potions of "Enhance skill"  and enhance alchemy, which let you brew a better potion, which let you enhance it further, when let you brew better, etc etc to the point where you could make potions of agility that let you jump so high you exited the sky box or of a weapon skill that caused the game to crash whenever you hit something.

In other words, hilarious, but broken as hell.
Well, duh.
It might be a bit difficult in an arena situation*, but it's still best not to tempt people.

*As demonstrated with this handy example.
"Increase Potency! Increase Potency! Dammit, I rolled a 1, I need to start over."
"Arcane Bolt!"
"AHH MY ARM! Increase Potency Increase Potency! Now to--"
"Arcane Bolt!"
"AHH MY OTHER ARM! In--"
"I won initiative. Arcane Bolt!"
"Flame Wolf!"
"I respawned! Yes! Increase--"
"He's using the stupid loop again!"
"Let's get 'im! Push Arcane Wall!"
"Flame Wolf! Both, attack!"
"Why are you picking on me?"

More Pool doesn't let you cast stronger spells, only more of them. I'm guessing multiple bonuses don't stack.
Sig

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 19, 2013, 05:56:56 pm »

More Pool doesn't let you cast stronger spells, only more of them. I'm guessing multiple bonuses don't stack.
And what about with something like the overdrive mechanic from Toaster's game? That would be exploity there.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #624 on: December 19, 2013, 06:21:01 pm »

Increased pool isn't that bad because each word still would have a potency score. So you may be able to say 10 words, but you can still only use one spell per action and it's still limited by potency so really, it would only help in long strings of low level words. It won't let you just string together 10 Red deaths and murder the entire arena like a world superpower with a giant biological warfare boner.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 19, 2013, 10:34:29 pm »

Just out of curiosity, what would Exploding PhilosphersStone, or Solid RedDeath Dragon be like?
Or even Exploding Sand Beam FistAura? Or just Exploding FistAura?

Ooh, that's epic in my head.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #626 on: December 19, 2013, 11:22:38 pm »

Just out of curiosity, what would Exploding PhilosphersStone, or Solid RedDeath Dragon be like?
Or even Exploding Sand Beam FistAura? Or just Exploding FistAura?

Ooh, that's epic in my head.
Well, We don't have exploding. We have Explosive though, which would probably mean you shouldn't spike the philosopher stone into the ground. Solid Red Death Dragon would be, well, a dragon made entirely out of super-Ebola. The first fist aura would probably cause fire hose like spray of explosive sand to start spraying out of your hands. The last one, "explosive" fistaura would depend on interpretation.

It could be
1. An aura that makes what you hit with it explosive
2. An aura that is, itself, explosive, to form over your hands
3. Nothing, since it lacks a substance.
4.Other stuff.

As per what I'm currently doing, I've been laying out the action reaction system and trying to make it clear, as well as considering more in depth melee combat rules for optional use. Really, I've just always wanted to try and design a good melee combat system that is more then just rolling a static series of stat checks at your opponent till someone falls over.  I want to incorporate things like stances, posture, weapon variability and such into a Action/reaction system, to make something that feels more reactive and dynamic depending upon your actions.

Might have a few testers if that ever comes to fruition, even if I don't end up using it in this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 19, 2013, 11:24:20 pm »

Geez. Mixed with everything else? Perplexicon will soon be almost as complicated as GURPS, without all the character creation options.
Sig

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #628 on: December 19, 2013, 11:41:23 pm »

Geez. Mixed with everything else? Perplexicon will soon be almost as complicated as GURPS, without all the character creation options.
Hence optional. Really, I'm just using it as an excuse because I've wanted to do it for a while.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: December 19, 2013, 11:49:12 pm »

Ah.

Can't argue with that.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 65