Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 123242 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #645 on: December 21, 2013, 04:24:11 pm »

Let's gooooooo!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: December 21, 2013, 04:42:15 pm »

"Tasty Corn Butter Popcorn!"
Watch.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #647 on: December 21, 2013, 04:42:39 pm »

Let's gooooooo!
I'm curious to see how this goes, considering you're a pretty heavy minmaxed character with your massive armor and heavy weapons. Depending, I may need to add new maneuvers and options, or simply make it so standard strikes don't use two stats. We shall see. Specifically we shall see if you cause people to explode in a single blow.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 21, 2013, 04:54:21 pm »

Let's gooooooo!
I'm curious to see how this goes, considering you're a pretty heavy minmaxed character with your massive armor and heavy weapons.
On the other hand, his opponent i somewhat minmaxed in the opposite direction.

And because I didn't say this earlier, stupid loadingses:

Folded over 1000 times to get the metal to a barely acceptable purity!
That would actually be highly difficult and make the metal rather worthless. IIRC, actual katana were folded only seven or eight times, tops.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 21, 2013, 04:57:18 pm »

We should probably stop the debate before it consumes the thread so I'll just say you're right, which you probably are.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 21, 2013, 05:04:17 pm »

Especially since I am getting the vibe that I am alone in taking this seriously.
Sig

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: December 21, 2013, 05:06:02 pm »

Well now I feel insulted. Comically so. My rage is burning the heavens.

Excuse me, I must go beat the shit out of execute.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 21, 2013, 05:08:26 pm »

I'm sorry, Australian time zones, hang on while I whip up the fighting file.
Edit: a yup, here we go, alright, UNSHEATHING THRUST TO RIGHT ARM! 2 speed and 2 dexterity?  Is that how it goes?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:11:48 pm by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #653 on: December 21, 2013, 06:01:13 pm »

I'm sorry, Australian time zones, hang on while I whip up the fighting file.
Edit: a yup, here we go, alright, UNSHEATHING THRUST TO RIGHT ARM! 2 speed and 2 dexterity?  Is that how it goes?
[2+2]
Execute whips his blade out and in one smooth motion thrusts the point straight at Derm's right lower arm.

(By the way, I'm counting this as a "strike" since thats the only one that uses both dex and speed. Thrust, the maneuver, uses just dex)

How does derm react?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 06:05:07 pm by piecewise »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: December 21, 2013, 06:02:02 pm »

And I respond now, right?

Repulse! Three strength!

Wait, are katana's thrusting weapons? I don't think you'd be able to unsheathe and thrust in one motion if it is, the movements seem to odd in my head.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 06:04:53 pm by Dermonster »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #655 on: December 21, 2013, 06:21:57 pm »

And I respond now, right?

Repulse! Three strength!

Wait, are katana's thrusting weapons? I don't think you'd be able to unsheathe and thrust in one motion if it is, the movements seem to odd in my head.
(I'm counting his thrust as a strike, since he used the stats for a strike. Also, katana have a sharp points at the end. If it were a rapier it would get a bonus for thrusting, but it's not so whatever.)

[2]

Derm attempts to slap Execute's blow away but his strike misses by a fair margin.  Execute's blow rings against Derm's armor, cutting a deep gash in the metal but failing to make it through to his flesh.

Derm now acts.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 21, 2013, 06:23:58 pm »

*Frowns* Shouldn't I have gotten some pluses for that? I think I missed something somewhere...

Reiterate how dice work, please.

Edit: oh, theres some stuff on the prev page. Hrm.

Edit2: Not... not quite getting it, really.

Well, this is about testing shit, right? Lets get crazah.

Strike the torso, nine strength.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 06:27:54 pm by Dermonster »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #657 on: December 21, 2013, 07:03:22 pm »

*Frowns* Shouldn't I have gotten some pluses for that? I think I missed something somewhere...

Reiterate how dice work, please.

Edit: oh, theres some stuff on the prev page. Hrm.

Edit2: Not... not quite getting it, really.

Well, this is about testing shit, right? Lets get crazah.

Strike the torso, nine strength.

Your sword gives you +3 to your pool, not to successes. That means you have 3 more dice to work with then your pool has normally. It's not an active bonus, you have to use it. Though, you don't actually have them because they just counteract the loss of strength from your armor.

[ooo you got several 6's adding up to a 9 total]

Derm takes the blow like a champ, plants his feet and baseball bat swings his massive sword at execute's chest.  (Ever seen the two hand strong attack on a claymore? Yeah, its a bit like that)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 21, 2013, 08:04:55 pm »

Katana (Japanese plurals are weird but simple!) can (probably) be used as either, if you know what you're doing. If not, you'll break it no matter what.

That's right, I can find Youtube videos of stuff too. Fear me, piecewise!
Sig

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #659 on: December 21, 2013, 08:15:09 pm »

Katana (Japanese plurals are weird but simple!) can (probably) be used as either, if you know what you're doing. If not, you'll break it no matter what.

That's right, I can find Youtube videos of stuff too. Fear me, piecewise!
They're really never supposed to be used as anything but cutting weapons, thats true. But they have a point so I'll let it go. Not like I'm gonna force them to adhere to the strict tenets of Kendo any more then I'm gonna force Derm to use real medieval martial art styles or a guy with a rapier to have proper footing and stance for fencing.

Or point out that katanas were never main weapons, they were the samurai side arm, and that they'd fair very poorly against metal armor, being fairly brittle.

Speaking of which, anyone ever see that movie "Sword of the stranger"? Great fucking fight scene in that.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 65