Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 123265 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi
« Reply #945 on: March 05, 2014, 12:37:21 am »

When do you plan another test to go? This is also kind of a bump, but this was fun to watch.

Good question.

Actually, related to that, I'm working on "Trigger" words: Basically words that when used in a spell cause it to be delayed until a certain trigger comes up. So far:

When Caster is attacked
When Caster is damaged
When Caster is Killed
When effected thing deals damage
When a hostile player, creature or object gets within 10 feet of the caster

If you guys have ideas for more, that would help.

Really, getting this system done doesn't have much left. The elements are all set out, the costs for them are all done (though balancing is needed, no doubt) I really just need to rewrite the intro and then more detailed explanations of how things work, along with the game modes. The actual nuts and bolts of the system is basically already there.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 05, 2014, 01:17:33 am »

I take it that the fail-deadly trigger that requires the caster to die has a rather high difficulty subtraction?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 05, 2014, 02:25:53 am »

There should be a trigger that fires when a spell with a certain other word is used, such as:
Napalm Laser At-nearest-non-caster-hostile Enchant-held-object Trigger-on-next-word "No"

Then make something like 200 of these and leave them behind you like a trail of breadcrumbs. You never say "No", "Know", or "Noh", or any variation or word that contains it. When a couple of characters have a conversation, such as "What is this glowing tin object?" "I don't know.", Boom-Napalm-Laser-To-The-FACE!
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #948 on: March 05, 2014, 10:15:32 am »

I take it that the fail-deadly trigger that requires the caster to die has a rather high difficulty subtraction?
I dunno. Because, while it is certainly not the most useful for all situations, the ability to lash back out with one last spell from the grave is a valuable one. Alternatively, it could lead to some very interesting tactics if used in groups. You could have one member basically cast this grand spell for a really powerful weapon using that trigger, and then the other members of the team sacrifice him in order to obtain it. It's an interesting idea...

There should be a trigger that fires when a spell with a certain other word is used, such as:
Napalm Laser At-nearest-non-caster-hostile Enchant-held-object Trigger-on-next-word "No"

Then make something like 200 of these and leave them behind you like a trail of breadcrumbs. You never say "No", "Know", or "Noh", or any variation or word that contains it. When a couple of characters have a conversation, such as "What is this glowing tin object?" "I don't know.", Boom-Napalm-Laser-To-The-FACE!

Possible. Not sure how to work it though...it would be very hard to figure out in blind mode and what if the player doesn't put in any word to act as the trigger? Maybe it should then just take the next word they say and make it the trigger.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 05, 2014, 12:19:50 pm »

I have an idea for a pretty specific word. "Sacrificial." If a sacrificial item is used to kill someone directly (ie, a sacrificial knife would work if you stabbed someone with it, and while sacrificial arrows would work, to use a sacrificial bow you would need to smack someone over the head with it), it absorbs a number of points equal to their maximum Pool; these points can be spent on powerful spells, although whether as spare Pool points, a bonus to the roll/counteracting penalties, or what, I don't know.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: March 05, 2014, 12:53:16 pm »

I dunno. Because, while it is certainly not the most useful for all situations, the ability to lash back out with one last spell from the grave is a valuable one.
Cue a game type where that spell gives a massive subtraction and is known from the start but gives clues as to the loaded spell and players must carefully estimate each others spell and premeditate their murder in a manner that leaves them safely out of the spell's attack vectors.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 05, 2014, 09:36:45 pm »

Roll to contingency. All spells cast must contain at least one or more words that delay it until specific trigger(s) are met. With over 50 contingency words, all but 3 of which make casting spells easier, it might take some time for the first spell to trigger; after that, it's a clusterfuck. With words for one time activations and multiuse activations, and a grammatical context system that will allow for any order of the same words but yield greatly different results depending on order, you create a sword that disintegrates those it cuts, until the caster dies, at which point it disintegrates it's wielder as well. It is eventually used as a throwing weapon by it's fourth wielder, making him the deadliest caster in the arena.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 10, 2014, 10:54:37 am »

Hooo... I haven't worked on Perplexicon in awhile...I know I had a list of contingency effects though, so I'll go dig 'em up.

Note that I got most of these from someone else.  I honestly don't remember now how much I changed or added- not much, I don't think.

When attacked
When casting a spell (Can be stacked with itself)
When inflicting damage
When injured
When near death (Or just death)
When unable to act
When touched

I think I'll add an actual "on death", so you can have a nuke that won't just finish you off.  I'm iffy about "hostile within ten feet" though... you could have a spell that only lights up hostiles, which would kinda ruin a lot of plots.  But then again, "detect hostiles" is a pretty common spell.

Something that would be good would be a contingency that can detect the removal/activation of another contingency.  Then you could have hard-to-remove pacifism spells ("WhenInflictingDamage TargetCaster Zentol Zentol Zentol Zentol", protected by two "WhenOtherContingencyRemoved TargetCaster Zentol Zentol Zentol Zentol")

As far as balancing it, my modified system needs the contingincies bound to something permanent- so, an object or tatoo.  It'd be overpowered, but I also have a 'magic radiation' system that causes problems based on how many magic items/tatoos you have on your person.  Kind of like how Angle was burned by the pair of control everything rings Paris made for him in the original.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 10, 2014, 11:06:48 am »

The biggest problem with "Detect Hostiles" or anything like that is that it requires you to define hostile intent...and figure out some way to enforce it. "I was planning to just give Derm a hug, but when I got there I changed my mind. Oh look, his own blast killed him thanks to the range!"

Other than that, neat. I especially like the Mark of Justice you suggested, though it's about twice as long as needed.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 10, 2014, 03:52:55 pm »

How about words that in the right combination would allow a bear made out of solid beer to wander around convincing people to walk into enclosed spaces so that it can remotely commit instantaneous closed-room murder with the cause of death being blamed on AIDS in spite of the clawing and mauling?

Because I had a dream about that and the only thing that comes to mind which could have triggered that was Perplexicon by way of animated solid booze beer.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 10, 2014, 07:45:22 pm »

It reminds me of some stuff you were talking about with RotMG. Well, some of it does.
Sig

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 11, 2014, 07:04:50 pm »

Well, let's see what you need.

"Intelligent Solid Booze Bear Control"
"EnchantHelditem Mind Control Eyebeam" (Or something like that.  I know mind-control eyebeams are possible)

That gets you as far as a solid booze bear that mind controls people into going into enclosed spaces before it murders them, but I'm not quite sure how you'd make anyone who wanders nearby believe the corpse was killed by AIDS without new words.

If you have a "When person is nearby" contingency, you could cast "EnchantHeldItem Intelligent WhenPersonNearby Mind Control Nearest Person" on the corpse, then tell it to make people believe it was killed by AIDS.  If you want the bear to be able to do it themself, then add words to give it spellcasting ability, then link it's pool to yours.

Thanks, Empi!  You helped us find a word that we really can't replace!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 12, 2014, 12:06:19 am »

Hmm... EnchantHeldItem WhenPersonNearby Strike could be a rather terrifying combination, seeing as someone could run around enchanting every single piece of furniture into a physical embodiment of murder...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 12, 2014, 07:12:50 pm »

More likely, it would cause the caster to be smacked by whatever s/he was holding.
Sig

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 12, 2014, 07:59:45 pm »

I have an idea for a pretty specific word. "Sacrificial." If a sacrificial item is used to kill someone directly (ie, a sacrificial knife would work if you stabbed someone with it, and while sacrificial arrows would work, to use a sacrificial bow you would need to smack someone over the head with it), it absorbs a number of points equal to their maximum Pool; these points can be spent on powerful spells, although whether as spare Pool points, a bonus to the roll/counteracting penalties, or what, I don't know.

Perhaps your pool would be overfilled, taking a number of pool points from their pool equal to the quality of the item (as determined by your POT when summoning it), so it would be possible to get a pool of something like
14/6 Pol

Which would decrease at a rate of 1 per turn, until it returns to the normal max.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65