Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 123244 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi
« on: August 14, 2013, 08:29:02 pm »

Some of you may know of my game "Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing", which recently got a spin off with Toaster's "The pit of magic." Well, I've decided to go back into the old rules, spruce them up, expand them and then publish it over at DrivethruRPG for a "pay as you want" price. Mainly so I can get the rules out there for anyone who wants to use them and to give people a better format then the rather lack luster "Dropbox folder full of unsorted crap" that it's in now.

However, I don't want to do this in a vacuum. So I will be asking for feedback through this thread from time to time, getting your opinions and suggestions as to how we should move forward. The first of these questions is simple:

What New elements would you like to see in the game? The original perplexicon had something like 50-60 elements, but it could have a lot more. Was there any particular one or ones that you really wanted to play with? For now, lets stick to Simple elements: ones like fire,, water, sand, fungus, blood, flesh, etc. Nothing like Clockwork, Zentol, Necromancy. Thats for later.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:35:48 pm by piecewise »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 08:31:38 pm »

Sound, food, candy. Various types of gasses.

Maybe like, the opposite of void/vaccuum? (it's called Aether.)

Toaster added Holy.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:32:23 pm »

Cheesecake element.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 08:37:38 pm »

You could always take a handful from actual Chemistry. Mendeleev's table and all.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 08:38:57 pm »

I didn't get to see the full thing, but Glass and Candy would probably be my main ones, assuming they weren't/aren't in already. Possibly "Leaf" or similar as well; I know we had a Living Wood element, but there wasn't, as far as I could tell, a good way to make a topiary or (intentional) bed of grass or similar.

Chitin or Scale might have been interesting, if redundant with Bone.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 08:39:37 pm »

Love and friendship.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 08:48:55 pm »

Love and friendship.

Love+Fungus= REALLY REALLY CREEPY.

Also this is awesome, and despite my limited knowledge of the actual game, I can see this getting big.
If you really wanted you could probably take the general idea and turn it into a full on Tabletop Game.

Perplexicon: The New D&D???

BTW is the original game still running? If so wouldn't publishing the book kinda mess things up a bit?
I mean if players could just go look up what their new spell would do....
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 08:51:11 pm »

We could just make a list of elements, forms and misc and the game runners can generate their own distribution/magic word.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 09:03:56 pm »

I didn't get to see the full thing, but Glass and Candy would probably be my main ones, assuming they weren't/aren't in already. Possibly "Leaf" or similar as well; I know we had a Living Wood element, but there wasn't, as far as I could tell, a good way to make a topiary or (intentional) bed of grass or similar.

Hey irony. You may want to check ER again. Your team lit the village on fire. Shocker.

Sound, food, candy. Various types of gasses.

Maybe like, the opposite of void/vaccuum? (it's called Aether.)

Toaster added Holy.
Sound is good. So is candy. Food is a bit vague, but might work. Opposite of void is kind of force, since it pushes outward while void sucks in. Recording them all though.

Holy belongs more in the complex  elements, which I'll handle next.

Cheesecake element.
Probably fall under candy/desert. But it shall exist and be the cheesiest.

You could always take a handful from actual Chemistry. Mendeleev's table and all.
I've thought about that. We do have some, gold, iron, mercury, sulfur, etc. Problem is making ones that are different enough to be useful and interesting. I mean, most of the damn table are just grayish metallic solids; and I doubt most people care about having a piece of Niobium. But their are plenty of good ones, and the properties of others can lend themselves to other, fictional things.

Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Candy sure, I think we have glass...Yep, got glass. And living wood too. And booze. Lots of things really. I may start manufacturing fictional ones, just for giggles.

Chitin could be fun; it's different enough from bone to be cool. Swords made of chitin that look like praying mantis limbs.

Love and friendship.

This is my sword. It's made of friendship.

What does it do when you hit them?!

Love and friendship.

Love+Fungus= REALLY REALLY CREEPY.

Also this is awesome, and despite my limited knowledge of the actual game, I can see this getting big.
If you really wanted you could probably take the general idea and turn it into a full on Tabletop Game.

Perplexicon: The New D&D???

BTW is the original game still running? If so wouldn't publishing the book kinda mess things up a bit?
I mean if players could just go look up what their new spell would do....
It's not running anymore. Besides, the names of the elements are just random nonsense words, can create new ones anytime.

As per the rules here, I intend to make the actual magic use much more clear and to create several ways for it to be used, different types of games from light hearted murder of the arena to a more traditional RPG use. I'm trying to make it so that it can be used with other systems, slotted in with almost anything and used for things as diverse as the main magic system to just determining the contents of random magic scrolls from a treasure chest.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 09:05:38 pm »

Add in a gibberish word generator too, so we don't have to make our own.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 09:07:13 pm »

Sounds interesting.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 09:07:39 pm »

I was thinking about that. I may have to talk to Bigfoot. He seemed like a pretty cool guy with some programming know how.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 09:08:17 pm »

How about Eldritch?
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 09:09:15 pm »

I'd straight up run my own if I didn't have to make the gibberish and had a map generator as well.

Also we got that.

Zentol was Demonic/eldritch. They're kinda indistinguishable. Maybe.

I guess they could be seperate? You'd have to work on that, though.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 09:19:58 pm »

Make the Perplexicons have different expansions? Like, All Real World Materials Perplexicon. Fantasy Perplexicon (no gunpowder, for example ???). Sciencey Perplexicon (you can only combine the elements from the Mendeleev's table). Magic Perpexicon (you get the idea). But might too much work to be worth it.

Also, have different locations. Not that the world should be bigger, but rather have more options to play in besides the arena. Like Ancient Ruins, Swamps, Sewers, Decapidated Sewers, Sewers build by an ancient civilization, Sci-Fi Sewers, Brown Sewers...
I just really hate sewer levels in games.

Also, optional win conditions. Some people might want to play it for a long time and integrate it into their own home-brew rules. And that's great. But some might just want an 90-120 minutes fun adventure.
Related to that, I'd like to that this game on TableTop. (the web show with Will Wheaton)

I was thinking about that. I may have to talk to Bigfoot. He seemed like a pretty cool guy with some programming know how.
Yeah, a word generator is a must.

PS: I just realized how far I ventured from the original question. Welp, sorry.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:23:38 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 65