Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 125142 times)

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #300 on: September 18, 2013, 09:50:34 am »

So I'm thinking of ways to do transformation spells, the sort of thing that would happen in the old game when you made a tattoo filled with various substances and then became all or partially made of those substances. They, along with "control" were pretty OP in the original game, so I'm thinking of a way to limit their usage a bit.

Now, enchanting things currently works by writing the words on whatever you want to enchant. For instance, write the word for fire on your sword to get a fire sword! Write flesh kitten chainsaw on your sword to cause it to cut like a chainsaw made of a thousand little kitten claws. Basically, it doesn't transform things into other things, it just gives them aspects of those things.

Now, for transformative spells I was thinking that it would be the same as enchanting, except that instead of just writing or drawing or engraving the words, you have to inscribe the word or words on a piece of material and then physically implant it in whatever you want to transform. Ie, to transform into steel, you would need to get a steel stud or something, engrave the word for steel on it and then jam it into your flesh. Transforming your whole body would require lots of these "piercings" and it would prevent people from just willy nilly transforming themselves into steam or lightning or toxin. You'd have to plan things out very carefully, transforming in stages and using solidified forms of substances. You could also, say, implant a steel rod with "Steel sword" on it to transform that limb into a steel sword. etc.
Transformation spells could be though circles.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 18, 2013, 09:52:34 am »

I do think the potential for partial forms is underused.  Why turn yourself into lightning when you could turn your arm into a acid-breathing dragon head?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #302 on: September 18, 2013, 11:06:22 am »

I do think the potential for partial forms is underused.  Why turn yourself into lightning when you could turn your arm into a acid-breathing dragon head?
I tried to make my arm tangible and my potency 7 body broke...
Also a dude couldnt control golden arms and lungs into kittens doesnt help survival.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #303 on: September 22, 2013, 04:56:37 am »

i have been playing Dungeon Crawl recently and i did a comparison beetween the gods of original Perplexicon and that game.

Ashenzari the Shackled, shackled god of divinations: Nothing useful.

Beogh the Brigand, god of the orcs: Nothing useful.

Cheibriados the Contemplative, the slow god: There may be something useful in this one: He decreases speed while making you stronger, and at higher levels of piety he gives time-based powers. We could remove the slow part and make a Time god.

Elyvilon the Healer, god of healing: Perhaps could be useful. Gives spells to heal and calm down other creatures/persons.

Fedhas Madash, a god of plants: While the concept would be good, its good being a Nul-Sheal one, overall considering spells work differently here.

Jiyva the Shapeless, god of slimes: Parathun pretty much, except with slimes. Not really anything useful.

Kikubaaqudgha, an evil demon-god of necromantic magic: This one we have something: In Perplexicon there are necromantic powers, zombies, and stuff. This could be the god of Necromancy, Death and Agony, aside of powers, he could give items like Staff Fire Necromantic Beam and Life Drain What im pointing Rings.

Lugonu the Unformed, god of the Abyss: Zentol pretty much. In game he gives powers to his followers about banishing creatures to the Abyss and corrupting levels of the game.

Makhleb the Destroyer, an evil god of slaughter and bloodshed: Blastel but in evil and with some more magic. In the game he gives heal with kills, summons demon allies, and give the powers to fire chaotic energies with random effects, normally deadly. I dont think it fits a lot, considering that hes the god of Hell and Pandemonium, and neither of those exist ingame.

Nemelex Xobeh, the trickster god: This one is complex but may have something. In the game he gives you decks of cards, from which you can draw. Depending on the card you get different effects, there are different types of decks: Decks of Destruction, Decks of summoning, decks of escape, etc. Would need a system made specifically for him but would be quite some fun. As you gain piety with him he gives you better decks usually, and different abilities to make less dangerous their use (Decks can be dangerous, a deck of summoning may summon enemies, or a deck of destruction may cause an explosion over you)

Warmaster Okawaru, god of battle: Kinda like Blastel, but more holy like.

Sif Muna the Loreminder, god of magic and mystical secrets: This one may be something. In the game some of her powers have to do with giving you different magic books and some powers like increased magic regeneration. She likes when you discover new stuff, wether it be a scroll, a book, a potion, etc. In here she may give you words and information about artifacts you find.

The Shining One, a good god of honourable crusade against evil: And yet again, another Blastel, but even more holy.

Trog the Wrathful, a violent god of rage: Well, this one would be THE TRUE Blastel.

Vehumet, god of destructive magic: Sha-Calun.

Xom the Unpredictable, god of chaos: Nothing useful, really. This one in game is a god that considers you his toy, and you must make him have fun else he will blow your head up, but if you make him like you he may be helpful. Doesnt fit.

Yredelemnul the Dark, god of death: This one is very close to another god i already described (God of necromancy)

Zin the Law-Giver, a good god of law and purity: And yet again, holy blastel.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 22, 2013, 04:15:37 pm »

Why not have a supplemental "Gods List" that covers a real FUCKTON of gods? You can have ones based on old civilizations, chaotic/neutral/lawful evil/neutral/good, elements, etc... all optional for play. Maybe even a short list of possible powers so people can make their own gods for their own universes easily.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #305 on: September 22, 2013, 06:35:04 pm »

Why not have a supplemental "Gods List" that covers a real FUCKTON of gods? You can have ones based on old civilizations, chaotic/neutral/lawful evil/neutral/good, elements, etc... all optional for play. Maybe even a short list of possible powers so people can make their own gods for their own universes easily.
The current gods plus the ones i suggested would cover most of the options, seeing how Nul-Sheal already gives control over all materials, shapes and some concepts.

While gods for specific civilizations may be a good idea its also limiting...

So, my suggestions:
God of Necromancy & Dark arts.
God of Time (And perhaps slowness).
Godess of Magic Knowledge.
God(ess?) of Luck and Gambling.
God(ess?) of Healing.

The ploblem is that there would be an impair numbers of gods, and there should be same number of female gods as male ones, so anyone has an idea?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 22, 2013, 06:36:52 pm »

How about randomized deity jurisdictions and personalities? That way we can end up with deities that control unrelated and/or contradictory concepts :P
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 22, 2013, 06:37:47 pm »

I wouldn't worry too much about gender balance. A pantheon which needs to turn a man into a hermaphrodite to be 100% gender-balanced is better than many mythological pantheons.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #308 on: September 22, 2013, 06:39:43 pm »

Amusingly enough, I was just putting together a god system. Mine's different from the one in Piecewises Perplexicon, in that instead of gaining levels, god's expect tribute in some fashion or another, and when you give it to them, they grant you boons. They also have Taboos, such as using fire, and if you break their taboo the curse you.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #309 on: September 23, 2013, 01:00:06 am »

Amusingly enough, I was just putting together a god system. Mine's different from the one in Piecewises Perplexicon, in that instead of gaining levels, god's expect tribute in some fashion or another, and when you give it to them, they grant you boons. They also have Taboos, such as using fire, and if you break their taboo the curse you.
That sounds kinda similar to the Dungeon Crawl system, on where most of the gods may receibe sacrifices of certain items (In some cases corpses, other weapons, in some all) or other forms of obtaining their favor(Piety) and when you use your powers. When you do something that they dont like (In Trog example, using magic) you lose some of their favor, if you lose enough you will be excommunicated and may receibe the holy wrath.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 23, 2013, 03:50:39 pm »

STOP CLOGGING UP PIT YOU MASSIVE WAD OF DANK MOSS.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 23, 2013, 04:03:12 pm »

Being done.

Hey Sar, watch the quotes please.

You dont seem to understand how Dispel Magic works at all.
To be fair, you don't either. It's never been used in Pit. If it's actually "Antimagic" or something like that...
Besides, that was merely the most amusing possible flaw in your plan.

It dispels incoming magic, not internal magic. You wont dispel yourself, just things coming.
1. Again, you are assuming things.
2. Wouldn't this mean that you would still be affected by environment-changing magic? Spell resistance doesn't work on lightning bolts aimed at the ceiling.

And yes, you could throw big objects to me, thats what extra dexterity and speed is for, helping avoid.
So, you're betting that we can't make homing projectiles, or undodgeable ones, or a lot of them?

And magic projectiles (Fireball, or plain metal casted by magic) will dissapear.
If Dispel Magic only affects magic (and if it doesn't, it needs to be renamed), it would at most remove the magical component of the metal's velocity. Are you going to claim that it would also destroy a magically-summoned axe someone swung at you?

And using Base Perplexicon, Dispel Magic makes you immune to all kinds of magic except marks, that includes will.
I believe I prefaced that with a "Depending on how that works".

And Repulsive-Energy-Steel cage would dissapear as soon as i get close.
Why?

Think of Null Sword. I would be just like that but in whole body. A fireball comes towards me? It dissapears without harm. You could take down the ceiling, again, thats what dext and speed are there for. Not invulnerable, but way harder to kill.
Again, taking down the ceiling would be impossible to dodge, not just difficult, because it's a whole ceiling.

And quicksilver only reflects Arcane Energy, not magic dispelling, thus it would dissapear.
I wasn't serious about the reflecting the dispelling, but I was serious about things summoned by magic possessing their own ontological inertia. In case I'm just being too sesquidepellian and locquacious, that means that magically-created items do not need magic to exist.

I dont need endurance and strenght: Arcane energy doesnt need strenght rolls to explode stuff, and theres no point on resisting stuff if you hardly get hit (Magic immune, except for Marks) and extra dexterity.
You need Strength rolls to move stuff, especially stuff that can't be exploded, and are you really claiming you won't get hit?

+2 Endurance would be what you get from overdriving 6 channeling.
I see. And how often can you do that?

And you can say *If person gets nearby, overdrive 3 speed (Would make either +2 or +3 depending on normal stats) and chances are he will explode or you are atleast able to get out of there.
Which was this referring to?

Finally, in case i was wrong, thats not lieing, is called being wrong. And im pretty sure im not, perhaps in Pit of Magic, but im speaking about Perplexicon base, with gods, circles and open world.
1. You claimed you had a way to be invincible and then admitted you didn't.
2. It was a(n attempted) joke!

I know of atleast three games with Perplexicon Base/Near Base.
Operative word: Near Base.
Until we Science it, we can't know how Pit of Magic's antimagic word works. All we can do is guess.

And i like to discuss good strategies no one considered.
...while I like to point out the problems you haven't considered.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 23, 2013, 04:22:02 pm »

I'm bored so I will get in, but I won't give arguments, I want you to take a different point of view:

Invincibility can only be achieved through independence from rolls, as if something's outcome is defined by them, it means that it can fail. That way, true invincibility would be that which doesn't need to roll a die, or that only rolls a single die, as opposed rolls depend on another person, and that person can have pretty good stats.

So:
-Anything dexterity related can not be completely avoided, as it depends on opposed rolls.
-Endurance is rolled just in the case you can survive, so even if you have a +5, you can still die due to a massive spell.

And, another thing I want you to consider:

If someone makes a solid quicksilver weapon, would he be able to swing it against an anti-magic thing?

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 23, 2013, 04:27:59 pm »

I thought about circles...  I was considering a system where you could add a sigil to each rune circle that would change how the individual elements acted. Some things would connect two runes, and some would act only for a single rune.

Sigils can mean multiple things. Take the symbol of Ouroboros.

Let's say I have the "imbue" circle, with two rune slots. I take a regular steel sword, and put in the runes for Fire and Blood. I connect the Ouroboros sigil to Blood, then the Blood to Fire. The sword-
could consume blood and use stored blood to spew fire (the consuming idea)
could turn any blood it touches into fire or vice versa (the alchemical "balance" idea)
could be constantly oozing boiling blood (infinity idea)

Also, the use of sigils to combine circle effects. Using the exact circle from above, let's take a sigil of Imbedding. It takes the effects of one circle and applies it to the results of another. Set it pointing to the original circle, and attach it's source to a Create Realm circle filled with all sorts of hellfire and brimstone- basically, hand-crafting a hell dimension. Pouring a point of pool into the blade increases it's effects, allows the player to rip a hole in space to the hell dimension, and the blade is able to do things based on the realm attached to it, such as spitting hellfire when swung. It uses only a single point of Pool no matter what, but controlling what happens is largely will based. Take the hellfire-y, blood-drinking sword, and try to launch a hellfire ball with one pool point. Fail a Will roll, and it might explode in your face, get a six, and you'll likely singe your arm off. Get a normal result, and you'll be able to control a real artifact weapon.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 23, 2013, 04:35:10 pm »

There were a few recent threads on /TG/ about runes. Can't seem to find the first one now.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 65