Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 123267 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #420 on: November 28, 2013, 05:55:00 pm »

Maybe hammer/nails and screws/screwdriver, if you feel like building things and/or performing torture the old-fashioned way? Shovels, picks, or climbing gear might be handy as well.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 28, 2013, 07:26:09 pm »

Cuuuuuttlefiiiiish
Cephalopods in general, really. Let's not be notochocentric.

Maybe hammer/nails and screws/screwdriver, if you feel like building things and/or performing torture the old-fashioned way? Shovels, picks, or climbing gear might be handy as well.
Or bricks. Or panes. Or a wide variety of things. BUILDING IS AWESOME.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #422 on: December 03, 2013, 07:27:17 pm »

Cuuuuuttlefiiiiish
I've already got squid you fanciful dalliance. Both as a form AND an element. We have so many squid arms.

Done.

Now, lately I've been thinking about counterspelling. As part of this rewrite of the system, I've been trying to make the combat less crap. Part of that being making spell vs spell combat be something other then "Roll Speed. If you win, you fire laser beams of bees at the other guy, if you lose, then fuck you."

Now, I've thought of a few possible ways to do this:

1.During that whole "Speed vs speed" thing in the beginning, if the loser's roll was still within X amount from the winner, they have the chance to react. That reaction can be anything from attempting to dodge to casting a spell of their own. They could try to fire back an attack that would overpower the  first guy's attack, create a shield wall, something like that. Simple, but Super high Agility could be pretty fucking broken since it means that your opponent wouldn't even get a chance to dodge if they rolled badly on that first speed roll.

2. Same thing, but it always happens. You always get the chance to counterspell. Difference being that the counter spell replaces what would normally be your turn. Ie, normal combat, whoever wins the speed roll goes first, then the other guy goes. This, speed roll winner goes and other guy has the chance to react however he wants, then the round is over.

3. Wards. So wards are simple things, another thing I'll probably add regardless. Basically, you'd have a few wards, different activation distances mainly, but they all function the same. Like this:

Trigger Ward Effect

You stick the triggering word in front, the ward and then the effect that happens when you trigger it. So

Fire Ward Stone Wall

Would cause a stone wall to appear when flame entered it's effective area and triggered it. Through the application of these wards, one could build up a defense before getting into combat.

You guys have any ideas?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 03, 2013, 07:36:20 pm »

It'd be nigh impossible to determine the function of the ward word inside the game, though.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 03, 2013, 07:39:05 pm »

You used the wrong form of "its/it's." Proper grammar is essential for looking professional if you plan to publish this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 03, 2013, 08:03:31 pm »

Cuuuuuttlefiiiiish
I've already got squid you fanciful dalliance. Both as a form AND an element. We have so many squid arms.
What would a squid made of squid be like?

-stuff about speed-
I really, really like the ward idea.
Past that, the ideal situation would be to somehow remove the Rocket Tag element of the game, but I have no clue how to do that.

It'd be nigh impossible to determine the function of the ward word inside the game, though.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Which reminds me, there should be words to turn your lungs into kittens or stuff.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #426 on: December 03, 2013, 08:05:16 pm »

Another related idea was that of using Pool points to temporarily buff other stats. Ie, rather then using your 5 pool for a spell, you can dump 5 points into your strength for this round. Makes Fist wizards more possible.

In the pure blind version, thats true.

You used the wrong form of "its/it's." Proper grammar is essential for looking professional if you plan to publish this.

I know. "Its" is possessive, and It's is a contraction of it is. Because English is a stupid evolved language with inconsistent rules that completely fucking dropped it's second person pronouns around the 1800's because WHY THE FUCK NOT. At least it's not a fucking tonal language. Fuck Fricative Alveopalatal phonemes. I also sometimes use Then and Than wrong and Effect and Affect and Affect (the one describing emotional state) wrong and probably fuck up all sorts of shit when it comes to proper comma usage. And I have a fetish for semicolons.

The point I am laboriously working up to, Mr. Pachyderm Cavalcade, is that I understand at least basic English word speaks. I just don't always follow them when I'm typing quickly on random forums or farting up a rough draft, as it is an informal setting and I can't be arsed. 

Cuuuuuttlefiiiiish
What would a squid made of squid be like?

-stuff about speed-
I really, really like the ward idea.
Past that, the ideal situation would be to somehow remove the Rocket Tag element of the game, but I have no clue how to do that.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Which reminds me, there should be words to turn your lungs into kittens or stuff.

It would be a squid...200% squid in fact.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 03, 2013, 08:08:25 pm »

I know. "Its" is possessive, and It's is a contraction of it is. Because English is a stupid evolved language with inconsistent rules that completely fucking dropped it's second person pronouns around the 1800's because WHY THE FUCK NOT.
Except "you".

Aw. No fractal squid.
Sig

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 03, 2013, 08:14:35 pm »

-snip-
Yeah, it's not a big deal. I just figured it would be a good idea to inform you, in case you didn't know.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 03, 2013, 08:25:22 pm »

On Init ties, make players cast the spell simultaneously, give a dodge chance on one or two difference?
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #430 on: December 03, 2013, 09:02:07 pm »

I know. "Its" is possessive, and It's is a contraction of it is. Because English is a stupid evolved language with inconsistent rules that completely fucking dropped it's second person pronouns around the 1800's because WHY THE FUCK NOT.
Except "you".

Aw. No fractal squid.
If you were DMing it could be a fractal squid.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 03, 2013, 09:39:21 pm »

Fractal as a word could be really, really interesting.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 03, 2013, 09:55:53 pm »

Question: Would this be an advanced material, or an advanced shape?
I'm putting money on shape.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #433 on: December 03, 2013, 11:43:19 pm »

Question: Would this be an advanced material, or an advanced shape?
I'm putting money on shape.
Actually, it would probably be a modifying word.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 04, 2013, 12:27:41 am »

...so what would happen if I said "Fractal Clockwork", and left out a shape?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 65