Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Masters of Manipulation - Multiplayer RPG (Accepting Applicants in OOC Thread)  (Read 9799 times)

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile

OOC Thread and Player Applications

Welcome to Masters of Manipulation!  Four lucky people get to join and play as a human, dwarf or elf in an attempt to learn the arts of matter manipulation to achieve whatever wonderfully imaginative goals you guys come up with!  More details are included in the spoilers below and if you're interested please post a character sheet so I can look through them.

You can come up with whatever goals you want in this game but you'll likely find things more rewarding if you go about becoming more powerful in the art of matter manipulation as well as actually manipulating the NPC's around you to achieve your goals.

Spoiler: Character Sheet Format (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: World Lore (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Current Players (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wait List (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Retired (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:11:43 pm by gman8181 »
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of Manipulation - 4 Player RPG
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 07:12:34 pm »

Actually just PTW
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 04:16:14 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 07:25:33 pm »

Name: Liam Macteeger
Appearance: A short Irishman with red hair and a green suit, complete with green hat
Personality: Hates: Being mistaken for a dwarf, not being drunk, peace and quiet. Likes: Being drunk, whoring, fighting, Leprechauns (he is convinced he is one)
Back Story: Macteeger had a nasty bump on the head back when the Void beings started showin up and physics got all wonky on im. Now he's convinced he's a leprechaun and spends most of is' time either bein the most stereotypical Irishman in history or tryin to find his Lucky Charms
Starting Planet: Human (though his mind is possibly somewhere else)
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 07:37:52 pm »

I'm so in.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 07:38:07 pm »

Spoiler: Waitlist Me (click to show/hide)
I was actually quite interested in the Suggestion-Game of back then. Would be glad to join once I have "steady access" again. Else, choleric narcists are fun. I hope. :P

Edit: My Attendance will be spotty for another 3 weeks or so. And then it depends on how fast my lappy gets his fix. Just saying is all ;o
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 05:01:15 pm by escaped lurker »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 07:41:24 pm »

Name: Trisha
Appearance: Small, frail-looking girl with a perpetual cough. 5'2" 100 pounds, brown hair and eyes. Delicate.
Starting Planet: Human

Back Story: Born severely anemic, Trisha spent years of her childhood indoors watching the other children play through her bedroom window while she laid in bed. She was perpetually dissatisfied with her life, always wanting more. But her condition prevented her from having the energy to be very angry about it. The few times she tried throwing  tantrums generally resulted in her passing out. Instead her feelings stayed at the level of a cool, constant awareness of what she lacked and what others had. Always wanting more but never being able to do very much about it, when she learned about the art of manipulation, she decided that this would be her path to normalcy.

Personality: Quiet, and non-confrontational, Trisha is accustomed to people taking care of her. Her size of frailty tends to provoke protective instincts in others, though some few come away with a slight sense that something is very wrong with her, almost as if it lies just beyond the range of their perception...but they can't quite see it.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 12:29:39 pm »

Name: Korgoth
Appearance: Tall with black hair, he almost always wears a black cloak
Starting Planet: Human

Back Story: To be written.

Personality: He is consumed with himself.  He searches for immortality at any cost.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 03:13:40 pm by griffinpup »

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 01:37:36 pm »

Nice character sheets so far.  If I get everyone's soon, I'll try and finish the first turn by tomorrow night.

LordBucket, I was planning to have the character backgrounds influence their starting stats.  With yours being sickly, I figured she would have lower starting health but significantly higher persuasion and slightly higher stealth.  That would impact how you play the character somewhat more than the other player backgrounds would so I just wanted to see if you're comfortable with that.
Sure thing peanut man!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 04:02:43 pm »

Editing. Thing up in several hours.
Er, actually I don't think I can do this. In too many games for now to participate in this, sorry.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 04:17:22 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 08:12:17 pm »

LordBucket
she would have lower starting health but significantly higher persuasion and slightly higher stealth
I just wanted to see if you're comfortable with that.

Yes, that's fine.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 08:50:48 pm »

Hello again Peanut Man.

My internet is a little unpredictable at the moment, but I might have something for the waitlist.

How likely is it that someone will die over the course of the game?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 08:52:30 pm »

PTW
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 10:28:29 pm »

I've been PMed by a player asking to participate which happened to coincide well with Xantalos withdrawing, so we'll just wait for his character sheet here and begin.

Editing. Thing up in several hours.
Er, actually I don't think I can do this. In too many games for now to participate in this, sorry.
No problem, sorry you couldn't participate.

Hello again Peanut Man.

My internet is a little unpredictable at the moment, but I might have something for the waitlist.

How likely is it that someone will die over the course of the game?
I'll wait list you and hope you get better internet soon!  The survival rate is likely going to be dependent on how careful each player is.  More risks = more rewards but don't jump into situations beyond your capabilities.  Sometimes running will be the best option and almost all situations will have a solution that isn't direct violence.

PTW
Great!  Let me know if you want to be wait listed as well.
Sure thing peanut man!

ppllmmqqaazz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 04:28:32 pm »

Name: Silidar Orochu

Appearance: Tall, with Lackluster Blond hair, brown eyes, and extremely pale skin. Little (but still existent) muscle definition, and slim.

Personality: Extremely reserved, Silidar will go to great lengths to prevent extended interaction with others, and, when necessary, his participation is conversations is limited to one to two word responses. When in a group, he tends to simply go with the crowd, regardless of what that entails. He greatly prefers being alone, which is part of the reason he left his home world.

Back story: Unsatisfied with a life in the family business (mostly because it required conducting business with others in person), Silidar decided that learning manipulation would eventually allow him to be more independent. Much to the disagreement of his parents and sister, he left his home with his share of the estate. Realizing that manipulation takes a certain degree of skill, he has decided to go with a group for the time being, before setting out on his own.

Starting Planet: The elven one

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 06:20:23 pm »

Year 100
Month 1 Day 1
21 Hours Galactic Time

Spoiler: BFEL (click to show/hide)

In a poorly lit tavern, deep in the slums, you take a seat on one of the five wooden stools arrayed near the bar counter. The area around you is mostly silent except for murmured whispers from the few small groups drinking and chatting in scattered sections of the room. For a brief moment your mind wonders and you try to recollect how you got to this place. Unfortunately your pondering is cut short by the bartender’s,
   “Well?”
He’s balding, wrinkled and smells like vomit too, but the real problem isn’t so much his features as it is the way he’s looking at you.
   “Look at the way that ass is staring at you!”
You turn towards the voice to see a small man dressed similarly to you standing on the bar counter nearby. He’s pretty small, only about a foot tall but other than that, his appearance is largely identical to your own.
   “Are you just gonna sit there and let that guy look at you like some sorta freak?!?  MAKE HIM SHOW SOME RESPECT!”

Spoiler: Griffinpup (click to show/hide)

You briskly walk through a wet dark alley with rain pouring down in deafening sheets from above. Wearing a black cloak really isn’t that big of a deal on a planet that has near constant rainfall. Actually quite a lot of people on this planet wear cloaks or similarly rain resistant garments, so if anything you fit in quite well. Unfortunately fitting in doesn’t really equate to looking intimidating and as you enter into the darkest part of the alley way, a man with a hooded jacket and a mask hops out from behind some trash cans, nearly skidding and falling onto the wet pavement. He holds out a knife towards your chest and screams out shrilly,
   “Give me all your stuff!”
It’s hard to tell with the clothing he has on, but your guess is that this is just another random starving man. One out of a million, this guy just happened to have the poor chance of trying to steal from a man recently learned in the arts of Manipulation.

Spoiler: Lord Bucket (click to show/hide)

The old shriveled man stares at you harshly for what seems like an eternity. Finally, just when it seemed the silence would never end, he speaks up.
   “I’ve taught you all I can girl. My end of the bargain is fulfilled so get out.”
This man is your teacher. Correction, he was your teacher. Now you’ve learned all you can from him and your apprenticeship is done. The College of Manipulation never accepted you because of your condition but by giving this backwater hermit everything you owned, things paid off and look at you now. You’re a fledgling manipulation practitioner and off the books as well. Good thing too. Those government type don’t just let new practitioners go off and follow their dreams. That knowledge comes with a price. Lifelong service in return for power, a fate which in some ways you were fortunate to escape.
   “Well girl, what the hell are you waiting for?!? Get out of my house!”
With that he pushes you out the door rather forcefully into the downpour outside. Really you should hate this man. He taught you Manipulation but he also treated you like dirt the entire time. To him you were weak because of your condition. If he wasn’t desperate for the money, there’s a good chance he would never have taken you in. Now as you stand out in the harsh chilling rain, your entire life is ahead of you. A long road stretches through miles of murky swamp land until it reaches the nearby city perimeter. Unfortunately all your worldly possessions now belong to that old man inside and you are alone without friends or family. Still… you learned more than Manipulation during your stay here. You learned about your teacher. You know his habits and his schedules. You know that in an hour from now, he’ll be settling down to go to sleep. Your teacher is a deep sleeper.

Spoiler: Ppllmmqqaazz (click to show/hide)

Your family thought you were crazy when you told them what you were planning.  None of them really thought you’d go through with moving to another planet.  They all just sort of laughed it off like some sort of funny joke.  Well they didn’t find it so amusing when you actually left did they?  Some nasty words were said that day and in all honesty, it’s quite likely they’ll never want to see you again.  The good news is that you’ve found a new family here.  At least something as close to a family as suites your purpose.  Two other manipulation practitioners, elven brothers as it so happens.  You’ve started something of a cabal as it were.  Unlicensed practitioners are generally frowned upon but your group has a decent base hidden in the harshest parts of the frozen tundra.  The brothers are back at the base right now but you’ve been sent out into the elements to retrieve some “supplies.”  Really anything living would do nicely and you would have been content to find a snow rabbit or two.  Instead you found something altogether different.  A person dressed in heavy furs is slowly crawling through the snow up ahead, looking half dead and completely lost.  It’s quite likely the person will die out here soon if left unaided but if assistance is rendered, survival wouldn’t be too much of a long shot.

I wanted to work on this more but then I decided to just get it out there so the game can start rolling.  Advice or recommendations for what could be done better with the game are welcome of course!
Sure thing peanut man!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7