Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Masters of Manipulation - Multiplayer RPG (Accepting Applicants in OOC Thread)  (Read 9808 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of Manipulation - 4 Player RPG
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2013, 02:10:15 am »

Trisha

They are curious if you have a preference for them working alone or in a group, as the three
of them are very close and have long been accustomed to cooperating together to get jobs done.

...I thought I made that clear: the idea is that each of them brings back one target.

Reasons:

1) If the three of them stick together and together bring back one victim, that's one victim drained. If they split up and each bring back one victim, that's three victims drained. Three is three times as many as one.

2) If three of them bring back three victims all at once...that's four of us and three victims, who must then either be physically subdued, or we have to come up with some way to synchronize our surprise attack. Whereas if each of them brings back one victim, separately, then it's two on one (me+disciple vs victim) and the surprise attack becomes much easier. See the "tear the throat out " routine described in previous turns. If a pretty girl smiles at you and puts her hand on your shoulder, then touches your neck...that induces no fight or flight response. It's very easy for two people two rip out one person's throat without them having any idea what's going on until suddenly they're bleeding to death and can't breathe. Whereas if the four of us have three people in the house all at once, and one person rips out a throat, then there's thrashing and screaming and the other two are alerted that something's wrong. It's altogether simpler if they each bring back one person, one at a time.

3) Most of the examples I gave for how they might bring somebody back should all obviously be easier do to if they're not in a group. For example, single girl picking up a guy and talking him into coming back with her to the "hookup shack" is simple and straightforward. It's an easy sell. How do you make that sell when you have your two friends with you? And given #1 above, even if you do manage to talk your victim into coming back "with my friends" how do you then convince them to hang out and wait while your two friends go find somebody else to bring back too? It becomes needlessly complicated. Or, consider the homeless guy scenario. If Zucht+Belle+Rosite talk a homeless guy into getting a free meal and he agrees to come back with them...how plausible is it to expect him to just hang out while they wander around trying to convince two other people to come back with them too? Is nobody going to get suspicious of the homeless guy hanging out with the three teenagers while the other two are giving various pickup lines, telling people that they have day labor available, etc? It just obviously doesn't work. Whereas if they bring people back separately and happen to come back at the same time, that's not really a problem. For example, if Belle tells her victim that this is the hookup shack, it will come as no surprise if her victim sees Rosite showing up with some guy too. If Rosite brings back a homeless guy back to 'her house' under the pretense of giving him a free meal, nobody would be particularly surprised to see Zucht show up at the same time with a day laborer under the pretense of paying him to trim the bushes. It would be preferable if they return separately, and simply in terms of time and chance, it's likely that they will, but it doesn't blow anyone's cover story if any two of them come back at the same time. Wheres if they stay together, it becomes needlessly complicated trying to make everyone's stories match and convincing their victims to "wait, while my friends talk people into coming back with us too."

On the off-chance that they do happen to come back together, spend a few minutes with them explaining the tear-out-the-throat routine, and come up with a verbal signal that means "now." Hopefully it won't come up.

You don’t know why but a slight feeling of menace pervades out of the underground room and makes you feel uneasy about entering.

So he had a pet. *shrug*  I can't imagine he left it running loose. Invest 2hp from myself into a mental barrier to block against mind control/manipulation/etc, be psychologically prepared for scary illusions/hallucinations, then go downstairs and talk to it. Be polite. Listen to what it has to say. Don't go out of my way to volunteer anything, but have a mind towards directly and honestly answering questions if it asks. It's possible it might already know who I am (since I was here for training) and it's possible it already knows the old guy is dead (it might have felt the draining.) Don't be surprised by any of this. If it doesn't know, and if it asks, go ahead and answer honestly. If it tries to ask/trick me into releasing it from whatever cage its in, explain honestly that I have no particular intentions of keeping it prisoner, whatever arrangement it had with the other guy is really not my concern and I have no intention of taking advantage of the situation. However...I'm unwilling to simply let it loose because I don't want to die. Seek a reasonable compromise where it is returned to its home dimension. If it tries to strike up a Faustian bargain with me, listen...but basically explain honestly that I don't really trust it and I'm not interested in 'heads I lose, tails you win' kinds of deals.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2013, 01:37:13 pm »

Are you going down without using a form of lighting? The tunnel is unlit. Also assuming you go down there and don't see something in the room are you going to go explore the tunnel?
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2013, 04:28:51 pm »

Are you going down without using a form of lighting? The tunnel is unlit.

This is a cellar in a guy's house. I sort of assumed there would be lighting. Look for a lightswitch. Failing that, a torch. Or a lamp. Or whatever. I did spend my entire training time in this house. I would think I would know how the lighting situation works. Even if I've personally never been in this part of the house, if my instructor used it, then presumably there is a source of light that he used.

Also assuming you go down there and don't see something in the room are you going to go explore the tunnel?

Yes. The 'edge of civilization' is half an hour away. Presumably I have some time before my disciples return.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 05:54:10 pm by LordBucket »

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2013, 05:29:04 pm »

Did I spell edge wrong? I don't think I did.
Sure thing peanut man!

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2013, 11:23:13 am »

Is there any particular reason most of you guys haven't submitted turns?

I'm planning to bring in escaped lurker next turn, so I'd appreciate it if we could progress things a little so the new player can get in.
Sure thing peanut man!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of Manipulation - 4 Player RPG (Accepting Applicants for Wait List)
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2013, 01:09:32 am »

OBTAIN MOAR BEGGARS
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2013, 08:18:58 pm »

Year 100
Month 1 Day 1
24.30 Hours Galactic Time

Spoiler: BFEL (click to show/hide)

(Perception roll 8+2=10+8samepoorarea=18) You manage to do a far superior job searching for beggars this time than previously. Parading down the streets with your ragtag group of followers, more of the downtrodden begin to follow you as time progresses, many likely drawn over by interest in the growing group of homeless trailing behind you (Associates +12 beggars). After some time passes with your group trailing behind you and gradually increasing, one of the beggars slows down and speaks up in a slightly anxious sounding voice,
   “Uhm excuse me… I uhhh started following because I saw the others following and I kind of figured you all might be going somewhere with food. You are going somewhere with food right?”
The other beggars nod their heads in approval at this question and look towards you for an explanation of what’s going on. Now’s your chance to win them over. Play your metaphorical cards right a veritable army of beggars may just be within your reach.

((Side Note: You don’t have to pay or give something to get followers. Doing so provides bonuses but you can also get bonuses from saying things that would appeal to a particular NPC’s personality))

Spoiler: Griffinpup (click to show/hide)

A time warp appears and sucks you and everyone nearby in, letting you out half an hour into the future. Hopefully that doesn’t happen again or you might get stuck there forever!

Spoiler: LordBucket (click to show/hide)

You lower yourself lithely into the dark room below and carefully grope about the place (Perception roll 11+2=13) looking for a light switch. There doesn’t appear to be any but you do manage to find a flashlight lying about in one corner which you then use to illuminate the area about you. The room is completely unadorned, composing of cold stone walls and stiff lifeless air that almost makes it difficult to breathe. The tunnel is the only stand out feature and as you shine your light down, it appears as if something mist like in the passage obscures light from penetrating very far in. You begin to tread lightly through the tunnel (Stealth roll 17+2-5heldlight=14) cautiously stepping over several loose flagstones while also carefully directing your flashlight in ways that are least likely to attract attention from anything in the tunnel. After what feels like an eternity of navigating through the winding corridor, you hear noise around a corner. Peeking around, you observe what appears to be some sort of large natural cavern. On the far side, light seems to trickle down from an unknown entry point high up in the ceiling. (Perception roll 18+2=20) The light casts a radiant glow on an altar like slab upon which sits a crystaline sphere mounted into a golden base. Along the sides of the caverns, there are at least 20 lined up sarcophaguses, 10 on each side. Two of them are are open and empty and you are almost certain that you hear the sounds of bones creaking dimly somewhere out of sight along with the occasional shifting shadow bouncing off the cavern walls.

Spoiler: escaped lurker (click to show/hide)

Sitting behind a smoothly polished wooden desk, a lanky black haired elf wearing glasses along with an expensive and warm looking fur robe gazes intently at you while occasionally stroking the long goatee adorning his thin emaciated face. Despite the frail appearance, his sunken eyes almost seem to betray a deep seated inner strength. You almost get the eerie feeling that his looks are more of an intentional facade then a real weakness. Diverting your gaze from his own, you look down at the nameplate located on his desk, reading “Stahl”. The elf’s sharp coughs bring your attention back to his face.
   “So, it looks like you’ve performed quite competently on your last mission. The Elven Agency of Patriotic Advancement needs more agents like yourself.”
Despite the praise, his expression remains cold and emotionless. You also wonder why he didn’t just abbreviate EAPA.
   “There’s a new available assignment for you, should you decide to take it. It involves helping ‘propagate proper patriotism’ in an outlying village called Rinascita in the southern sector 23. The EAPA has reason to believe there has been a considerable surge in harmful individualistic ideas there which could in the long run cause potential harm to our great institution. The root of these outrageous ideas must be sought out and taken care of. For that mission, we would be assigning you eight lower ranking officers to aid in promoting patriotism by any means necessary. Force is permitted but excessive use is not recommended due to the limited assets assigned to you.”
   There is a pause in Stahl’s speech as he pulls out a cigar from his desk and carefully lights it, taking a few puffs.
   “If you aren’t interested in that mission, feel free to take a break from work for a while. There might be something new for you later on down the line.”
   Stahl reaches in his desk again, this time pulling out a manilla envelope sealed with a wax like substance.
   “As I understand it, a large amount of your payment was deducted to go towards a certain debt you owed the Institution. Something about a loan for hair products?... Anyway there isn’t a whole lot left, but it’s well earned at any rate.” (+20 coppers)

Yeah if Grif doesn't post for the next turn I'm thinking of removing him. I don't think it can really get much easier than me sending you message notifications of when the turns are up and he's been online lately so yeah :-\.

Also;

Might modify the current item weights or weight system some time soon.
Sure thing peanut man!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2013, 08:52:49 pm »

What about this:

Invest 2hp from myself into a mental barrier to block against mind control/manipulation/etc

Trisha

Not really much to do here but search.

* How high is the ceiling?
 * Check the open sarcophagi
 * Pick a closed sarcophagus and slide it open. A little bit open, don't push the whole lid off. Look inside. Close it when done.
 * Mentally investigate the crystalline sphere
 * Check the golden base. Is it really gold? How much? How difficult would it be to remove. Do not attempt to remove it yet.
 * Investigate the opening. Check to see if there's a way up. If there's a forest-entrance to my basement, I want to know about it. Also, try to figure out why, despite the recent heavy rain and a hole in the ceiling, there's apparently no water in here. Since the air is "still and lifeless" and "difficult to breath" I wonder if it's not actually an opening.
 * If I encounter animated skeletons, attempt to assert control over them.

EDIT:
Since the mental barrier I specified in the previous turn is apparently not relevant: invest 1hp from myself in a basic AoE-awareness motion detection spell with whatever duration 1hp will give me, so that if anything down here besides me is moving, I'll know about it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 01:24:34 am by LordBucket »

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2013, 09:14:54 pm »

What about this:

Invest 2hp from myself into a mental barrier to block against mind control/manipulation/etc

I'm not going to have any player characters susceptible to mind control. Yeah it might play into the game with NPC's but I'd rather not figure out a way to competently have it operate on PC's without ruining fun. *Shrug* we'll say rule of fun, GM discretion, or in RP terms that you're all just amazingly blessed individuals, insusceptible to certain mind influencing powers that might break lesser beings. It also goes along to explain how you can master skills in a matter of days what it takes others a life time to learn. ;D

Regarding Manipulation defense, I just apply opposing Manipulation rolls when it happens (only if both characters have at least 1 skill in Manipulation).
Sure thing peanut man!

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2013, 09:44:32 pm »

Eight officers under his command? Pondering this part, the assignment was actually not that bad - but to be stuck for what could be weeks in a hick-town, the villagers only disgruntlement with elvendom quite possibly their last bad harvest... Not an enchanting idea. Still, the AEPA as an organization was quite useful - or could be, if he would be able to play his cards right. Right now, it was more like he himself was of use to them...

On the other hand, a far-off village meant less prying eyes, and this could also turn out to be a well of chances. Either way, refusing this particular offer could mean that reaching the elite circles could take substantial longer - no, letting this chance slip by could indeed be quite hazardous in terms of future progress.

"Individualistic Ideas you say, Sir? Harmful even... Have there been any previous instances of such behaviour in the region?"
...[ Aquire more information about the mission, before agreeing to it and taking my leave ].. "I understand. I shall not fail the trust you have placed in me."

If there is enough time before I have to set out, go to the market and aquire some meat. Wander the alleys in search of an isolated spot, where I could drain a stray without any onlookers. Deploy the bought meat for this scheme.

Sahal fears for his money and subtle skin. There might be a small rash in the makings, last mission be dammned. Else, fairer skin is always good! The dog? Obviously just an animal - we eat others, so whats the harm in "using" them in these ways?

( Does the AEPA know about me knowing manipulation? Anyways - Elven-Stasi-Thoughtpolice, coupled with my char? This really could get fun~ [In all the wrong ways, mind me :P] )

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2013, 04:56:19 am »

"Why of course my friend of course. There shall be much food for all who attend!"

Liam tells both the asker and all his new friends of the rich bounteous banquet that shall take place at the destination.
Afterward he leads them to a suitably abandoned or at very least little-used place (preferably one with tables and such) and summons up the largest feast he can muster

((I love how the supposedly violent, insane Irishman is the only one who hasn't murdered anyone yet.))
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2013, 11:25:53 am »

Year 100
Month 1 Day 1
24.30 Hours Galactic Time

“No actually up until now the sector has had a long history of compliancy with proper government procedure and patriotism. We aren’t sure exactly what’s going on but based off the swiftness with which this behavior has arisen within the target sector, it is likely a group or very charismatic individual has been the cause of these events. Before there is any spread in these radical ideas, the source MUST be neutralized or we might actually have a much more significant problem on our hands.”
Sure thing peanut man!

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2013, 12:44:22 am »

"So it is that serious even... While I fear that I might be overstepping my bounds, I would like to request that my fellow patriots be sufficiently armed, should we really meet upon a group that instills these vile notions into the populace. If they were to, I am certain that we can avoid unneccessary deaths in our rows, while heightening the chances of success against organised adversaries."

A thoughtfull glance, a small nod. Following up with an anticipating glance towards the elder one. Yes, that should do. Better to play this one safe, especially the potential mission. As in "not suicidal". Well, at least not from the start.

"With that condition met it would be my honour to bring truth and justice to this matter!"

Aand a honourfull and dutybound finish, with a formal bow. No matter Stahls decision, this ought to do. At least if you would ask Mr. Adnarei, that is.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2013, 08:58:31 pm »

Year 100
Month 1 Day 1
24.45 Hours Galactic Time

Spoiler: BFEL (click to show/hide)

(Persuasion roll 16+5hungrypeople=21) The crowd is ecstatic when you tell them of the bountiful feast that awaits them in your employ. You lead the group of hungry beggars into a sufficiently abandoned looking lot that would be perfect for temporarily housing large groups of famished beggars while they eat. (Manipulation roll 1+2=3) Unfortunately your Manipulation peters out rather unspectacularly when you attempt to summon up a feast. Luckily due to your spectacular job wooing over the crowd earlier, the beggars are still enamored with you enough that they are willing to wait for a while on the food. It seems like the majority of them just assume the food shipment is late anyway.

Spoiler: Griffinpup (click to show/hide)

Retired

Spoiler: LordBucket (click to show/hide)
   (Manipulation roll 4+2=6) You attempt to feel around the area for anything that might be moving around. You don’t sense anything but you feel that’s more a result of poor performance on the Manipulation than due to a lack of moving entities in the vicinity. Looking up at the ceiling, you’d gauge that it’s about the height of a four story building. The light seems to be let through a window like object made out of something similar to glass in the ceiling. (Perception roll 20+2=22) (Stealth roll 12+2=14) Walking over near the open sarcophagus, you spot a walking skeleton out of the corner of your eye. It slowly shuffles forward a few steps before pausing a minute and then continuing its patrol. On the adjacent side of the cave, another skeleton is walking a similar patrol. Behind the altar, yet another two skeletons patiently stand guard, as of yet unmoving. The skeleton near you seems to have caught on to your presence behind it and turns around letting out a rasping screech from it’s throat. It charges surprisingly fast towards your position while the skeletons near the altar seem to have heard the noise and are slowly advancing in your general direction.

(Manipulation roll 11+2=13) (-4 health) The skeleton succumbs to your power at you twist your magic into the very fabric of its being. You have a feeling it would be more difficult to take control over a creature like this in the future if the Manipulation practitioner who made it was more powerful than your master. Luckily yours was barely more talented than yourself and so the Manipulation was carried out rather effectively. Your now newly loyal skeletal minion stands before you, waiting for further commands.

(You didn’t have time to complete all your actions because of the combat interruption)

(Persuasion roll 15+10wasplanningtoanyway=25)
   Stahl laughs loudly and slams his fist down on the table.
   “Of course! You didn’t think I was going to send you and the others in there without proper equipment eh? Well I tell you what, just because you made me laugh, I’ll send you in with something a little extra. Don’t ask what though… I want it to be a surprise.”
   You thank Sir Stahl for his invaluable time and set off. There’s still another hour or so before the transport ship arrives to take you to the destination, so you decide to utilize that precious time to pamper your even more precious skin. The market has a large chunk of uncooked meat for sale which you buy (-5 coppers) and then go to an ally with. (Perception Skill 4+2+5citiesarefullofdogsright=11) A hungry looking dog is busy digging through trash as you arrive. The timing couldn’t be more perfect, so you kneel down and softly call out to the animal while displaying the tasty treat. The dog looks at you excitedly with its tail wagging enthusiastically. It runs over and grabs the meat, eating it voraciously before looking up at you with big affectionate eyes. You eye it back with an almost hungry expression in your own.

(Didn’t perform the drain action yet because to be honest, I’m not sure what I’m applying it to. Are you just using it to make yourself look more attractive? Also, no they don't know about your Manipulation abilities.)

I'm thinking of removing encumbrance, any thoughts or opinions on the subject?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:54:04 pm by gman8181 »
Sure thing peanut man!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7