So, someone pointed out to me a the Single Pick Challenge. Basically, find the worst possible biome, show up with a pick, 7 untrained dwarves, and have at it until you're dead or the mountainhome. This was originally done about a year ago and detailed in this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118000.0
. That thread seems a bit dead, so I figured I'd start a new one.
Well, usually I don't like the challenges as they seem a bit contrived, but I've also never been against turning a game up to impossible mode either.
I did a few practice runs to get a feel for the needs and requirements for this type of challenge, also I was having trouble finding the 'perfect' biome for the challenge. Namely, an all glacier embark with an aquifer. I finally found it, and it's got enough room for a few black slate tries at it before I need to gen another world.
I'm also trying my hand, for the first time, at doing youtube videos. I'm using FRAPS, Windows Movie Maker, and my own gaming headset. It didn't come out too bad but I'll let you be the judge. I'm sure the average YouTube troll will go on and on about every tiny thing so I'll probably ignore most of that.
Anyways, and without further ado, you can find my attempts listed below. I'll edit this as I add more attempts. The first one, well, didn't go so well. You'll see why:Single Pick Challenge Attempt 1: FortunePage (Failed)Single Pick Challenge Attempt 2: IvyLashes (Part 1)
- Breaching the aquifer, food, and waterSingle Pick Challenge Attempt 2: IvyLashes (Part 2)
- Continued digging, some more migrants, and the caravan. Undead pets, too!Single Pick Challenge Attempt 2: IvyLashes (Part 3)
- Review of status after a few failed recording attempts. Caverns, constructions, farms, and hospital.Single Pick Challenge Attempt 2: IvyLashes (Failed)
- Tantrum Spiral, Undead overload, and the loss of the fort.Single Pick Challenge Attempt 3: LashedNuts (Failed)
- Arrival, water, butchery, and aquifer pierce via frozen drilling ... and failure.Single Pick Challenge Attempt 4: FurnaceClans (Part 1)
- Arrival, water, butchery, and aquifer pierce via frozen drilling ... and a ROOF!Single Pick Challenge Attempt 4: FurnaceClans (Part 2)
- Craft area, Titans, Webs, Cavern, more webs, and Mafol goes Spelunking!Single Pick Challenge Attempt 4: FurnaceClans (Part 3)
- Some !!Science!! for Caravan pathing, fortress is dug and getting operational, gopher holes to retrieve the dead merchant goods, and job layouts for the available dwarves.Single Pick Challenge Attempt 4: FurnaceClans (Part 4)
- Waterfall layout, magma sea found and forge started, Dust related vomit (I think), and a cavein.Single Pick Challenge Attempt 4: FurnaceClans (Part 5)
- Setting up a magma cart filler with a few hiccups and general methodology, setup of the temporary lower magma forge, general maintenance of the fort, and getting our clothing together. Also, babies!Single Pick Challenge Attempt 4: FurnaceClans (Part 6)
: Overview of the fort status, the new magma loader tested, and the design and build of the OMG system.Single Pick Challenge Attempt 4: FurnaceClans (Part 7)
: OMG design reviewSingle Pick Challenge Attempt 4: FurnaceClans (Part 8 )
: Trap dug, second/third level shown, dry run testing, and Cavern 2 sealing for Impulse Elevator straight shot.Single Pick Challenge Attempt 4: FurnaceClans (Part 9)
: Design, Dig, Test, and activation of the Magma Loader via Minecart system.
My apologies for the blurriness. I'm recompiling the video now in a different format that I hope Youtube will accept without needing to re-stretch the video, which caused that.
Used a different format and we're good now. Sorry about that.
If anyone wants a dwarf named after them, in the tradition of these types of games, just let me know and I'll get you in there. I can't promise you'll live, mind, but you'll have yourself a mighty gruesome death, I'm sure.