Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened  (Read 73813 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened
« Reply #225 on: December 03, 2013, 01:34:54 pm »

Spoiler: Undead Flyer (click to show/hide)
If you watched earlier in the series when I dwarf-hauled lava around to setup some magma forges/kilns into unique squares, then this will make sense: I did the same and dumped a 6/7 pile of lava into the bottom of the dump pit. :)  Significantly lowers the scare factor of multiple butcheries too.

One suggestion is that when you turn off the grinder to clean house, I'd recommend flooring over the grassy parts to prevent tree growth blocking the path to the grinder. 

Here's to hoping that some migrants survive to enter the fort sometime soon! :)
Well, the problem with that is the 'door' is RIGHT outside the grinder, and it's built in stone, so no trees will grow at the grinder level.  Up above in the farms/gopher holes, that's a significant concern and every now and then I send out a logging operation to clean up the Z -1/-2 levels.

Migrants... yeaaaahhhh... might be a bit.  I've got an idea though!  Will take some time to construct however, and I need a much lower undead surface population. 

On a side note, I have shutdown the grinder due to the necessity of particular blockages.  We've cleaned out the main runner (dumped body parts, melting goods, clearing clothes) and finished some minor modifications.  It took forever and can be explained in 20 seconds.

On a good note, you guys should start seeing significantly more clarity in my videos going forward.  I've been on the forums at Pinnacle and they've helped me nail down what the FRAPS -> Pinnacle problems were for visual fidelity.  Was actually rather simple, I just have almost no idea what I'm doing.  :D

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 07, 2013, 01:56:16 pm »

FurnaceClans 14 is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCEFRnGxeHQ

This one is rather boring, actually, but a few things happened that needed to be shown as I experimented with a trap for undead catching.  The only really interesting thing here is I almost got the Liason and a merchant crew in... then they got ran over by reindeer.  Horribly appropriate for the season, though.

peridot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 07, 2013, 04:30:51 pm »

While the OMG is down for maintenance, is it feasible to build a route exiting the magma (on the input side, obviously)? Currently any undead that survive being dumped into the lava stand around burning and frightening dwarves until you dispatch them with a glass block to the head. If the living ones could climb out, wouldn't they then re-enter the trap, getting repeatedly pasted until a lucky hit dumped all their temporarily dead parts into the magma for incineration? Or do you end up with immobile but still frightening undead stuck in the magma no matter whether there's an exit or not?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 07, 2013, 04:43:50 pm »

While the OMG is down for maintenance, is it feasible to build a route exiting the magma (on the input side, obviously)? Currently any undead that survive being dumped into the lava stand around burning and frightening dwarves until you dispatch them with a glass block to the head. If the living ones could climb out, wouldn't they then re-enter the trap, getting repeatedly pasted until a lucky hit dumped all their temporarily dead parts into the magma for incineration? Or do you end up with immobile but still frightening undead stuck in the magma no matter whether there's an exit or not?

Once they're in the magma, they won't path back out in any direction.  There's ramps leading out of the magma below that could get them up to the trap level again, and they don't take it.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 07, 2013, 05:25:40 pm »

They probably don't path through because of the magma that is in the way? Halting the grinder, locking off the entrance, and cleansing with water might be a good solution....

BTW finally used the chickenrun aquifer technique, it is actually incredibly easy once you get the hang of it, great !!science!!

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 07, 2013, 08:16:10 pm »

... then they got ran over by reindeer.  Horribly appropriate for the season, though.

[music]
trader got run over by a reindeer...
walkin towards our depot, Christmas eve...
[/music]

... ;D :D ;D
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 08, 2013, 06:46:13 pm »

Just watched the first videos, and your trap and track system is quite interesting for me especially since I have never really used tracks myself. I therefore wonder if you would like to upload a copy of your savegame, so it is possible to study it.

Nice work!

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 09, 2013, 01:38:57 pm »

I'm glad to see this is still alive, this is one of the best dwarf fortress let's play's i have seen :)
seeing all those undead makes me wish i could butcher them, and make mountains of stuff out of bone.

Like those falcon men, sadly, the base creature isn't bucherable, so it's not going to work,
plus there's the risk of reanimation.
(and the creepy feeling when you do manage to butcher zombies, they make meat.. zombie meat.. ich)

Still, it was funny once when i used a goblin skeleton for training so much that it eventually collapsed into goblin bone
(reanimating ocean, i threw corpses off a cliff and waited for them to return to land for live training)
The bone then later got used for a mood and turned into a spear.
Sadly no matter how epic it sounds to kill goblins with weapons made from dead goblins, that does not make bone weapons useful :(
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 01:42:01 pm by enizer »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 09, 2013, 10:08:05 pm »

Just watched the first videos, and your trap and track system is quite interesting for me especially since I have never really used tracks myself. I therefore wonder if you would like to upload a copy of your savegame, so it is possible to study it.

Nice work!

Don't see why not.  I'll get it posted in the next day or two.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 10, 2013, 01:15:06 am »

btw, i think you should look into the squad kill rectangle command ;) would have saved you some pain in the last episodes. fairly easy to kill hidden stuff that way and you can kill multiple targets in an area, instead of having your military running in, killing on, and then dropping their weapon because they decide to turn civilian next to the the 2nd zombie etc....

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 14, 2013, 03:33:23 pm »

I made more to the song.  t'is the season...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 14, 2013, 06:26:00 pm »

Nice work!

Don't see why not.  I'll get it posted in the next day or two.

Posted to Wimbli
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8211

btw, i think you should look into the squad kill rectangle command ;) would have saved you some pain in the last episodes. fairly easy to kill hidden stuff that way and you can kill multiple targets in an area, instead of having your military running in, killing on, and then dropping their weapon because they decide to turn civilian next to the the 2nd zombie etc....
Well, they don't drop their weapons because I've got perma-uniform and replace clothing on, but yeah, that could have helped. :)

I made more to the song.  t'is the season...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ROFL

Niiiice.   :P

Incantatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 30, 2013, 12:14:18 pm »

Just watching your last videos of FurnaceClans. Epic playthrough. There are too few advanced let's plays out there. Thank you for that.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 30, 2013, 01:20:41 pm »

Thanks for the kind words, glad you're enjoying the series.  Next one should be up soon now that the holidays are ending.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 02, 2014, 04:25:21 pm »

I'm late to the party, just watched the first two videos (just finished IvyLash #1).  TYVM for your narrative - I've learned a few things.  Going to keep watching to see how you handle the cavern and then may try my hand at a less than idyllic start myself.

In a reanimating biome, if a tanner is right next to the butcher, as well as a farmer's workshop for spinning, and plenty (all but the miner) of dwarfs are tanners / spinners, how likely is it to safely process the hair and skin?

Edit: I forgot to mention - I find your captions absolutely hilarious!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 04:42:55 pm by mek42 »
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32